-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I finished stocking the EG I got from 300jimmy and have fallen in love with the 300 savage. the trigger is looooong and stiff
I am sure there have been threads on this but my machine locks up for some reason when I try to search.
there fore I am asking what if anything can be done with it.
thanks
tom

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I think most folks caution against doing anything to the trigger mechanism. Just get used to its particular pull.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
that's consistent with all I have read. maybe with use it will et better. I certainly will shoot the heck out of it
the recoil with 150's and 40g 4064 and a 24 inch tube is less than my 30-30's. just got a new crono and haven't clocked the load yet but it sure is fun.
thanks s99vg for the response
tom

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
The only safe thing to do is polish the trigger-sear mating surfaces and put some light lube on them. If you remove any metal you risk a slam fire.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
will go with the lube. thanks LF. btw the sight went in and only needed one tap to center on the bull. am really impressed with this rifle. already have fired it more then I have my 284 and have had that one for 5 years.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
bad pic but here it is. may checker the wood later.
am looking for a grip cap if you have one LF?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Used grip caps almost never fit well. Someone makes a repro. Can find a link when I get home again unless somebody here has it first.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The thing with the reproduction grip caps, believe it or not, is that they're all different sizes! I ordered 10 and i don't think two are alike. $17.50 each! I'll look for a link in a bit.

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

“Alive in JESUS!”
NRA LIFE MEMBER

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
1. Before doing anything, order one of these from Numrich. 10 bucks plus shipping.

[Linked Image]

2. Polish the sear and hammer contact surfaces to mirror shine. You need to be able to see yourself in the reflection off the surfaces.

3. Grind the tip of the sear to reduce creep. Maintain the curving profile of the aft side. Leave no burrs on either the sear or hammer edge. Go too far (which is easy to do) and you will need the extra sear.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You'll never notice the trigger pull when sad daddy walks into range

Long Live The Judge

Thinking of moving to Florida? Don't........
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Don't forget that early EGs were not checkered. You have that look going on right now.

The only 99s I've seen with really "decent" triggers (sans creep or a little stageyness) are pre-war models. I've heard stories of 99s accidentally firing when the butt was slammed into the ground and the gun was cocked with a chambered round. One story in particular happened before WWII and occurred when the hunter was crossing over a fence line. Unfortunately, the outcome was fatal. With this in mind I've learned to live with the 99's trigger as it is.

Last edited by S99VG; 11/26/15.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
thanks for the chatter one and all. have never wrenched on a 99. may just shoot the heck out of it as is. never dreamed the 300 would be so mild recoil wise. my 284 makes my teeth rattle but the 300 recoils less than my 30-30's
Everyone have a safe and happy Thanksgiving.
tom

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
There are those who have expressed their thoughts on the .300 Savage being the perfect North American deer round. I know that's a very global thought, but it is hard finding fault with the cartridge. You too have a great Thanksgiving!

"Klaatu barada nikto"

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I've got a 1951EG,and the trigger is really lite,almost to the point of being hair triggered,but it's never slam fired,or went off without me pulling it,but it don't take much.....And Lightfoot ,them loads of 36gr Reloader15,and 87gr.hot-cors that you recommend are deadly,and accurate,and show no signs of excessive pressure...I have took several deer with them,and all were 1 shot kills..

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
DeereJohn, I assume the load Lightfoot recommended is for the 250? if so thanks for posting it. I haven't fired my 250 in 4 years. life threw some curves and I am way behind my loading and shooting. I have a 250 in a F and the trigger on it is like yours. my 284 in an F is slightly heavier but still lite enough I don't think about it when pulling.
my EG gets m total attention when pulling it. breaks sharp but has a long heavy pull. still my current favorite though.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Yea,It's a 250..It was one of my Dads guns.After he died I started hunting with it,and it has become my favorite all around rifle..I've killed hefty deer,and small varmits alike with the same load..Here in West Virginia it's all the rifle I would ever need,if I could only have one.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
my wife's grandfather used a 250 in the 20's to put elk and mule deer on the table in Colorado. plenty potent with correct placement. My BIL still has that rifle, unmolested, I still try toget it from him

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

699 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 72 invisible), 3,542 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,379
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.