Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
E
What are some of your deer hunting traditions whether it be your own or passed down thru the generations?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not much of a tradition, but I like to celebrate a successful hunt with a backstrap dinner that evening if I'm back in time or the next day.

E
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
E
I always thank the good lord when I kill a good one and always where my lucky threadbare hunting pants

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
About the only thing I can think of is that I always leave my fired brass where it falls.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
E
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
E
Who still gets the shakes when you here a buck grunting on a frosty morning and see horns coming through the woods

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I watch Jeremiah Johnson repeatedly until I can recite every Will Geer line without hesitation.

I do the same thing for the trout opener except its Jaws and Robert Shaw.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by TomM1
I watch Jeremiah Johnson repeatedly until I can recite every Will Geer line without hesitation.

Watch your top knot.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Can ya skin griz?

E
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
E
Another thing I do is rub my hat on the horns of the bucks I've killed before I leave maybe we should start a superstition thread

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Originally Posted by TomM1

Watch your top knot.

Watch yur'oan

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
When my cousin had his towing business and I stayed at his place the night before the opener, it was get up in the middle of the night and help him pull someone out of a ditch or untangle a couple vehicles. Glad that one is no longer going.

Hit of Wild Turkey in the evening after shooting a Deer. About the only time I care to drink anymore.

Last edited by battue; 11/27/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Running around the house at 2am looking for hunting equipment license etc I forgot to get ready.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Not just deer hunting, but hunting in general, my family won't hunt on Easter or Christmas Day.
My paternal grandma might come out of the grave to thrash us!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Our only tradition is " The Grand Prayer" at deer camp. It is usually Saturday night, sometimes Friday night though. We thank God for our deer camp of 27 years, and pray we have a safe and successful hunt. It is rarely successful but has alway been safe however. For quite a few yrs we had " Deer camp Stew" on one of the nights of gun season. It has been a few year and forgot about it till just now.

Last edited by ihookem; 11/28/15.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
the "Week before" detailed preparation.

I really don't give it a lot of thought until then. I shoot so much during the year that the sighting-in is just another shooting session.

Then, there's the decommissioning. But that's just so I can find things next year...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pennsylvania's deer hunting heritage is richly steeped in tradition. More than one nimrod on his first hunt has walked in from the end of a logging road somewhere when he was taken on a Pa. snipe hunt.

Then there's the Pennsylvania Deer Sinch which is found in many Pa. deer camps. The Deer Sinch is a wrought iron rod with a barbed point on one end and a loop or ring welded to the other end. Legend goes that you stick the point up a deer's arse, and put the ring over a fence post. Come back to that spot on opening morning and it's a sinch to get a deer.

Sunday before opener eveyone gathers at the one camp on the hill that has a working tv and watches the Steelers. On a good night, you get away from the card table with a handfull of change left. Acey-Ducey, 5 card draw, 7 card stud and Screw Your Neighbor. A nickel to open, dime to raise, and a quarter to call.

Miss a deer in some camps, and your shirt tail goes up on the Wall of Shame. And everyone throws a dollar in the big buck pot. Biggest buck rakes in the cash.

The food is always great, and in huge proportions. Friday night before the opener is fish fry night. Nothing like 40 lbs.of Lake Erie perch and walleye to feed the crew, the neighbor's crew, the locals, the game warden, and anyone else who wanders in. Sunday is always the big spaghetti feed, and you'd better come hungry.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
We clean out my barn and have what we call the "hunters party" the night before the firearm opener. rules are: I have a campfire, grill and smoker to cook food. bring dish to pass, meat to cook, a bag of chips or nothing. we are not women and if you show up empty handed you are still welcome. rule 2: BYOB. rule 3: everybody OUT at 10:00pm, I got to hunt the next day and need my sleep.

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On the night of the Opener, I have been reading a toast from a novel I wrote about a decade ago with help from kind folks here at the Campfire.

It used to be done in conjunction with KYHillChick's serving of a wonderful venison roast, the recipe was supposedly Henry VIII's favorite dish. Sadly, KYHillChick has been unable to make it to The Opener for few years due to her work. It also got to be a bit problematic. The dish is very rich, and it did not play out well, when we'd come in from dealing with the insides of deer.

Here's the recipe:
Henry VIII's favorite dish

Here's the toast:

“He that outlives this day and comes safe home will stand a tip-toe when this day is nam’d, And point a finger at his mounted antlers saying ‘These wounds! These wounds, I gave on Opening Day!’ For he today that sheds blood with me shall be my brother; be he ne’er so vile. This day shall gentle his condition. And Gentlemen all now in bed shall think themselves accurs’d they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap
whilst any speaks that hunted with us on Opening Day.”

The gist of the plot at this point in the novel is a college student follows his English professor out deer hunting. The line is delivered as the professor is coming up on the student, who's just shot a nice 6 pointer. The chapter ends with:

He handed me a folding knife
and said. “You ever cleaned a deer before?”

"No."

I went to wake Angus the other morning down at Deer Camp. He'd taken a deer the day before, and decided not to go out. Upon asking him his intentions, he replied, " I am going to lie in bed and hold my manhood cheap."

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (10Glocks, 257 mag, 35, 300jimmy, 41rem, 15 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 855 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,454
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.