Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Doc,

Hey, Mike McIntosh is one of my most-favorite gun writers!

Plus, he was a great guy. First met him almost 30 years ago, during a big weekend in Oxford, Mississippi, shortly after the launch of a new magazine named SHOOTING SPORTSMAN. I was another of the original staff writers, and we had a great time talking writing, guns and life, and shooting some Sporting Clays as well. I miss him, and while I have plenty of his writing on my shelves, miss reading more.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
BP-B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Travis,

Find yourself an Ithaca 37 Ultralight in 20 gauge, one of the originals in 2 3/4", with a vent rib 25" barrel. Your small gauge fantasies will recede quickly.

How about a pre-war, first year production 20 ga. with solid rib..?

Bought it used, metal as you see it, wood pretty rough. Refinished wood, recut checkering, added the pad.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Travis,

Find yourself an Ithaca 37 Ultralight in 20 gauge, one of the originals in 2 3/4", with a vent rib 25" barrel. Your small gauge fantasies will recede quickly.

Bought it used, metal as you see it, wood pretty rough. Refinished wood, recut checkering, added the pad.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

First Ithaca 37 with a solid rib I have ever seen....very nice...a classic for sure.

Doc

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If I can't kill it with 3.5 in BB'S from my SBE2 I don't need to shoot at it

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Travis,

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

First Ithaca 37 with a solid rib I have ever seen....very nice...a classic for sure.

Doc

37R

Yeah, pretty rare.

It has a Deluxe Polychoke. I figure that was a popular vintage set up and use it as is. The gun is very light. If I cut the Polychoke and install choke tubes, it wouldn't handle as well, would be too whippy.

It's not too unlike shooting a 28 ga., just uses slightly larger shells.

DF

Edited to add, 1940 date of mfg.

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 01/24/16.
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
DF. That's a really nice job on your m37.. I have my Dads 16 ga with the same type furniture on it. You're correct great guns.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I like the look of the checkered, small forearm handle.

I was surprised to find that the line per inch checkering was different, stock (20 lpi) vs. handle (18 lpi). I've heard that work was farmed out and whoever did that checkering, used different tools, different spacing, probably different people.

Those old guns were really well put together and are super slick. Ithaca fans seem to be looking for a cheap gun, tend to pride themselves on how cheap. That one cost me $255 from a major Houston dealer. Then, on the Shotgun World Ithaca forum, one member jumped all over me for altering the stock. Said he's been looking for a pre-war stock for years and I'd ruined this one. Oh well...

I explained my thinking. If this was an expensive collector, then I would have been more cautious. The wood was really beat up, so I did what I thought was needed to make it a shooter to suit me, no thought about the collector issue. I guess I can see it from his point of view.

Hard to get these guns for cheap, then act like they're high dollar trophies. From what I've learned about Lou Smith, the Ithaca founder, he would like to see his guns out in the field being used.

Philosophical disagreement...

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 01/26/16.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I think you did right by that shotgun. In America old cars get restored to better than new, while many think old firearms deserve nothing more than an oily rag rubdown.

laissez les bons temps rouler
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
That is a beautiful Ithaca 37R.. I have had a couple, but all were 12 ga. When I was a kid that 37 in 16 ga. was the choice of many of my cousins.. I need to find a nice 37 to complete my collection of pump guns.. I really want an R probably in 12 to go with the others..

Travis, did you get a 28???

Molon Labe
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Doc,

Hey, Mike McIntosh is one of my most-favorite gun writers!

Plus, he was a great guy. First met him almost 30 years ago, during a big weekend in Oxford, Mississippi, shortly after the launch of a new magazine named SHOOTING SPORTSMAN. I was another of the original staff writers, and we had a great time talking writing, guns and life, and shooting some Sporting Clays as well. I miss him, and while I have plenty of his writing on my shelves, miss reading more.

I miss reading more of his stuff, too. Good to know you liked him. Shooting Sportsman has been a favorite of mine off & on for a lot of years.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by battue
I think you did right by that shotgun. In America old cars get restored to better than new, while many think old firearms deserve nothing more than an oily rag rubdown.

Thanks,

I even changed the toe angle, using my Browning Superlight as the template. The Browning handled better for me than the Ithaca, so now the 37R is set up exactly like the Superlight. The Ithaca purist wasn't too happy about that, either.

Oh well...

Sorta bothered me that it bothered him.

But, I really like this gun and the way it handles. Light, quick on target and mild recoil with low brass shells. Because it's so light, I used a Limbsaver pad.

And, I sorta like the PolyChoke. Something different, very retro, a glimpse into the past.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a gun for you 28 gauge aficionados, how about buying my 1937 mfg, Winchester model 12 28 gauge field gun? It's absolutely beautiful, lightly used, not altered, an honest to God 28 gauge, not a fake. 6g's and its yours and you won't find another. No cutts.

Last edited by Alaskajim; 01/29/16.
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
That is a beautiful Ithaca 37R.. I have had a couple, but all were 12 ga. When I was a kid that 37 in 16 ga. was the choice of many of my cousins.. I need to find a nice 37 to complete my collection of pump guns.. I really want an R probably in 12 to go with the others..

Travis, did you get a 28???

Haven't even found one.

Wife's birthday this month so I may have to get motivated.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I bought a Franchi Renaissance o/u in 28 gauge. Love that shotgun for pheasants. 5 1/4 lbs, and death on pheasants. And not that expensive.

Good luck.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Pm sent

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
what are your opinions on this one?? it looks nice to me ....http://www.cabelas.com/product/DICKINSON-PLANTATION-SXS-SHTGN/1975147.uts

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The shotgun on my bucket list is an Ithaca Model 37 in 28 ga with the corncob forend

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I hunted pheasants this year with a guy who shot a 28 bore Bespoke shotgun of some sort of British lineage. He shot RST 1oz, # 7 1/2 shot pigeon loads traveling at about 1300fps. That 28 was an absolute HAMMER on pheasants, and was hotter than the 20ga loads I was using. I was shooting 1oz of #5's at about 1220 fps. We couldnt tell a damn bit of difference between the two. 28 bores rock!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Folks, my 28 is in the Classifieds for sale. I'm cutting down on my sporting gear and after much gnashing of teeth and a period of rare pragmatic thinking, it drew the short straw.

It's a great gun; go take a look.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Folks, my 28 is in the Classifieds for sale. I'm cutting down on my sporting gear and after much gnashing of teeth and a period of rare pragmatic thinking, it drew the short straw.

It's a great gun; go take a look.

Post a link, can't find it.

DF

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
685 members (10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 76 invisible), 3,090 guests, and 1,469 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,678
Posts18,399,550
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.