Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Lee Marvin exudes cool!!! To me utimate bad azz! Hell with Charlie Sheen! I'd likes to have partied with Lee!!!

there are stories about lee marvin around tucson. It seems he had rather a fondness for alcohol.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Loved that movie! I have been fortunate to hunt adjacent to the "Montana" ranch (at the end of their journey) located in Angel Fire, New Mexico. Here is a pic I took last year of the ranch where the movie was shot while I was snooping around looking for elk. Got a pretty 5x6 that week.

[Linked Image]

Another view of "Montana"

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Godogs57; 12/01/15.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by test1328
I have no way of knowing this for sure, but it always seemed to me that McMurtry put a ton of thought and energy into writing Lonesome Dove and always intended it to be a stand alone book.

If it would have been such it would have been for the better as far as I am concerned. It was a classic by itself and everything else on both ends weakened it for my money.

If he had written the others without tying them to "Lonesome Dove" I probably would have actually been more interested in them especially "Dead Man's Walk" and "Streets of Laredo".

I also feel the same way about "Return to Lonesome Dove". I am surprised that several people I know who have watched both consider the "Return" the best of the two. I just couldn't get into it myself.

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Idared,
I agree with your on the idea that Dead Man's Walk and Streets of Laredo would have been better as stand alones without ties to Lonesome Dove. I never thought of it like that, but with different characters, the stories might have been better.

Return to Lonesome Dove was not better than the original in my opinion, but the fact that it carried on the story with the same characters in the same basic time frame as the original helped it. I also think most fans of Lonesome Dove were quite disappointed that McMurtry killed off Newt with little explanation or depth in Streets of Laredo and always wished it would have been different, thus Return to Lonesome Dove. I thought John Voight did a bang-up job as Call, especially considering he was stepping into a character already made iconic by Tommie Lee Jones. The rest of the characters were facimiles of their former selves, such as Pea Eye, Newt, and Clara and the new characters didn't add much. I did think the shootout scene at the end was done fairly well. The acting, other than Voight, left a lot to be desired, IMO.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
History[edit]
While some form of mobile kitchens had existed for generations, the invention of the chuckwagon is attributed to Charles Goodnight, a Texas rancher, the "father of the Texas Panhandle,"[2] who introduced the concept in 1866. After the American Civil War, the beef market in Texas expanded. Some cattlemen herded cattle in parts of the country that did not have railroads which would mean they needed to be fed on the road for months at a time.[3] Goodnight modified the Studebaker wagon, a durable army-surplus wagon, to suit the needs of cowboys driving cattle from Texas to sell in New Mexico. He added a "chuck box" to the back of the wagon with drawers and shelves for storage space and a hinged lid to provide a flat cooking surface. A water barrel was also attached to the wagon and canvas was hung underneath to carry firewood. A wagon box was used to store cooking supplies and cowboys' personal items.[4]

Chuckwagon food typically included easy-to-preserve items like beans and salted meats, coffee, and sourdough biscuits. Food would also be gathered en route. There was no fresh fruit, vegetables, or eggs available and meat was not fresh unless an animal was injured during the run and therefore had to be killed. The meat they ate was greasy cloth-wrapped bacon, salt pork, and beef, usually dried or salted or smoked. The wagon was also stocked with a water barrel and a sling to kindle wood to heat and cook food and so the chuckwagon was created.[5][6] On cattle drives, it was common for the "cookie" who ran the wagon to be second in authority only to the "trailboss". The cookie would often act as cook, barber, dentist, and banker.[7]

The term "chuck wagon" comes from "chuck", a slang term for food, and not from the nickname for "Charles".[8]

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If one man had to be picked to represent Texas....... Captain Goodnight should be that man.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 160user, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 57 invisible), 2,734 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,035
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.