Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The last week and a half we've been through Florida, Alabama, spent a couple nights in Mississippi and back at our temporary home base in southern Louisiana. We always enjoy our time spent amongst good people no matter where they reside and the south has a lot of them. Starting to look at houses along the southern coast of northern Florida, Alabama or Mississippi. Spending the summers in Alaska and winters in the south allows me a chance for year round fishing.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Did not the south fire upon northern troops who had withdrawn to fort Sumter.

We're not northern troops starving. Might it not have been wiser to give them some food negotiate with the union?

Nope, the South demanded surrender, then attacked.

Serious lack of wisdom. It Gave Lincoln a reason and forever undermines he claim of Northern Agression.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BMT
Did not the south fire upon northern troops who had withdrawn to fort Sumter.

We're not northern troops starving. Might it not have been wiser to give them some food negotiate with the union?

Nope, the South demanded surrender, then attacked.

Serious lack of wisdom. It Gave Lincoln a reason and forever undermines he claim of Northern Agression.

Fort Sumter was SC territory, not Fed territory based upon secession.

There were already Federal blockades against Southern ports and Federal ships firing upon Southern merchant vessels who were attempting to engage in legal commerce (Feds illegally were forcing Southern goods to go North and through Northern ports for the excise taxes). Some of those same Federal ships were off the SC coast and refused to come get the Fed troops at Sumter post secession. They were left there, against the lawful demands of SC, by the Feds who had means and opportunity to extract them.

Secession? Constitutional and legal. Slavery (abhorrent as it was)? Constitutional and legal. Federal actions against the secessionist states? Without Constitutional authority.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
The only death at Sumpter was when Feds fired a salute and their cannon exploded, killing the gunner. The Feds had already surrendered the fort.

Last edited by websterparish47; 06/26/16.
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Still fired the first shot.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BMT
Still fired the first shot.

Nope. Federal blockade ships against lawful merchant vessels carry that distinction, even though the history books won't report it.

Still changes absolutely nothing about the Constitutionality of the Southern states actions vs the unconstitutional actions of the Feds.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
McConaughey is a good actor. He is, however, one of Hollyweirds liberal left wing nuts. And from the previews, looks like a well made "period" movie.
Also looks to me like another Yankey Revisionist attempt to re-write the history of the War of Northern Agression. But, of course, I wouldn't expect anything less from Hollyweird. YMMV.

Not so sure, I have yet to totally figure him out.

This alone is a start.

“Congratulations class of 2015,” he began. “Life’s not fair. It never was, isn’t now and won’t ever be. Do not fall into the entitled trap of feeling like you’re a victim. You are not.”

http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollyw...h-dont-be-entitled-you-are-not-a-victim/

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Anyways, I predict the movie is gonna suck, an actual occurrence re-written to modern PC sensibilities. All the Black folk are gonna be noble, and all the Whites except for Jones and his immediate circle are gonna be absolute retards.

Just my prediction.

Birdwatcher

Pretty good with that Chrystal ball, Mike! What's it say about November? grin

It seems about every year we get into this thing of slavery and it's part in causing the Civil War.
It's always been my belief that there were many causes in starting the war, but slavery was THE one cause that could not or would not be settled with out a war.
The original seven seceding states were states whose economies were grounded in slavery. That is undeniable.
But I myself do not believe war was the only answer to the question of secession . Lincoln used secession as an excuse to start the war. Instead of calling for negotiations for a peaceful settlement, Lincoln called for 75000 troops to put down a rebellion. Then he proceeded to skillfully maneuver the south into firing the opening shots, making them the aggressor, and giving himself unlimited support in the northern states.
Slavery, as an issue in the war, never came about until the war was nearly a year and a half old. Even then the issue was not settled until the war was over and the 13th amendment ending slavery, was forced on ALL the states. Even those remaining in the Union!
For the record, Ft Sumpter was a federally owned sight. The island and fort were built using federal money. South Carolina offered to buy of the government, but the offer was refused in order to enforce the tariffs.
The Confederate States were setting up a tariff free trade. This would have destroyed the Union economy. Lincoln needed the war in order to save northern banking and northern money. It really was a rich mans war!
7mm

Last edited by 7mmbuster; 06/26/16.

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I like Matther McConaughey and he is a very good actor.
But the reason this movie is being presented is because it is Politically Correct, and this is the reason I won't bother watching it.

White man deserts from the RACIST Confederate Army, shoots RACIST Confederate officer, causes his county to separate from his RACIST state, and he marries a Negro gal.

It all may be accurate history, I don't know, but it is so PC I can't stand it.

You want to make a film about a Southerner who was a real man and a warrior, you make a film about Nathan Bedford Forrest. Probably the greatest military commander on the Southern side. Unschooled military genius.

You will never see that film, because he was not only a RACIST slave-owner, he was also a RACIST slave-trader.
Even worse, he helped found the KKK.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I like Matther McConaughey and he is a very good actor.
But the reason this movie is being presented is because it is Politically Correct, and this is the reason I won't bother watching it.

White man deserts from the RACIST Confederate Army, shoots RACIST Confederate officer, causes his county to separate from his RACIST state, and he marries a Negro gal.

It all may be accurate history, I don't know, but it is so PC I can't stand it.

You want to make a film about a Southerner who was a real man and a warrior, you make a film about Nathan Bedford Forrest. Probably the greatest military commander on the Southern side. Unschooled military genius.

You will never see that film, because he was not only a RACIST slave-owner, he was also a RACIST slave-trader.
Even worse, he helped found the KKK.
Forrest's servants loved him too.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Were their any draft riots in the South?

No, but there were no cities full of recent immigrants either.

There WAS massive non-compliance, especially as the war progressed, and brutal recriminations against those deemed insufficiently dedicated to the cause or suspected Unionist. If the movie is true to the tale that part oughtta come out. Suffice to say the Confederacy as a whole did NOT tolerate dissent. And if Lincoln imprisoned some Northerners without Habeus Corpus at least they weren't hung in droves for having the wrong opinion.

Could you buy your way out of serving in the Confederate Army.

I believe it was popularly called the "Twenty Ni**er Rule", and was the source of much discontent.

Was there even a draft in the South?

Absolutely, IIRC starting in 1862, about a year (??) before the North reciprocated.

When it comes down to who was fighting for their rights can't say the Union Boys have much of a claim.

They believed they were fighting for their country, the Union, and were willing to die defending it, in droves. YMMV.

JMHO,
Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Not at all birdie!!! That's what they were told. Geez, them in charge, since time immemorial have always told their folks why they are fighting!!! Why is that war any different???

Weren't hard for the people in charge to do in this case. After all the South WAS seceding and the Union WAS falling apart.

Its not like they were fighting against the spread of Communism or fighting a war on drugs.

Like JP Morgan said, there are always two reasons a man does something, the right reason and the real reason.

Pretty much like how Big Cotton bankrolled the Second Texas Revolution.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Knight is lying about 20 miles from me as I type this. I had lunch with a buddy and his wife a couple of days ago, she grew up right across from the graveyard where he's buried, not that it gives her (or me) any special insight into the situation. We were discussing it over lunch since they were planning on seeing the movie that night. Their thoughts, based upon local hand me down info, were that Newt Knight wasn't so much pro-union as he was anti-confederate. He didn't really care about the union cause but resented being drafted into the confederate cause because he "didn't have a dog in that fight". Jones county was a poor area and there weren't many slave owners, most were just poor dirt farmers and they didn't want to go to war for something that wasn't their fight. They just wanted to be left alone, something I'm sure most can relate to.

I haven't seen the movie yet and likely won't until it comes out on video. I can guess, given the current political environment, how it'll be portrayed.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 222ND, 74 invisible), 2,460 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,678
Posts18,456,284
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.