Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I hit my first (and last) freight train broadside in 1977. It never felt a thing. grin

1976 Chev police car was fixable - no injuries to me

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never have hit a deer or a train . . . yet, anyhow . . . I ain't complaining at all. I have seen the aftermath of both and it ain't pretty.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by Archerhunter
I've not hit a coyote yet.

Not due to lack of trying, though... whistle

Riding around out in the hills one cold winter night drinkig with my old uncle in his late 70's ford ltd and out of the ditch pops up this yotie.

Snow packed roads we average about 20 mph on these journeys more because we're drunk than because it's slippery. (you can still drive around out there and only see another motorist about every halh hour).

He gripped the wheel, started laughing, and accelerating.

Between bright headlights and snow banks blocking exit ramps it just ran full speed ahead right down the center of the road.

We chased that dog half a mile before it finally disappeared below the hood ornament and went thump thump thump underneath.

It looked over its shoulder as it disappeared.
We still laugh about that one.

Heading out to Lake McConaughy about 10 years back or so, doing 75 down I80 about 11pm in my Cherokee pulling my 17' Tracker and a coyote pops out of the median and I hit him dead center. I think the boat bounced 2' in the air when he hit that axle.

Coyote smoothie.. underside of the boat was covered in red and gray. No damage to the Cherokee or boat trailer tho.

Coyote smoothie.

Lmao!

I've jumped my boat off bigger boat's wakes.
I've jumped my boat off logs.
I've jumped my boat off rocks.

But I've never jumped my boat off a coyote smoothie!
smile

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
2 ft of air.
I'm still laughing about this and have to ask, how much hang time did ya get?

tff.
grin

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I've hit three. The first two ran into me. The road was not wide enough to get away from them. The last one slipped in the road in front of me and I ran over it. Had it kept it's footing, it would have gotten past me as I rapidly slowed down. That one did the most damage.

My experiences tell me there is a tremendous suicide problem in the deer community.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B2

RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My daughter said they are deer jihadist.

Trying to take me out so I can't shoot them anymore.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
2 ft of air.

tff.
grin

It was one of those moments where everything was going in slow motion. Hitting the coyote with the Jeep was no biggie, but when I felt the bump from the boat and looked in the rear view to see the front of the boat rising up everything just slowed down... I was waiting for that moment when it would pop off the hitch and I'd be doing 75 pulling the boat down the interstate by it's chains. Laughed about it the next day, but wasn't that night.. grin

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE
My daughter said they are deer jihadist.

Trying to take me out so I can't shoot them anymore.

Oh, God.
Muslim deer... on suicide missions.

That's all this country needs.
Probably refugees emigrating from Deerborne MI.

smile

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calhoun
2 ft of air.

tff.
grin

It was one of those moments where everything was going in slow motion. Hitting the coyote with the Jeep was no biggie, but when I felt the bump from the boat and looked in the rear view to see the front of the boat rising up everything just slowed down... I was waiting for that moment when it would pop off the hitch and I'd be doing 75 pulling the boat down the interstate by it's chains. Laughed about it the next day, but wasn't that night.. grin

You read my mind.
lol

Hang time...
Slow motion!

Too funny.
I almost typed "slow motion" earlier in this thread, couple of times.

The image of that yotie looking over his shoulder as he disappeared is frozen and emblazoned in my memory.

Timeless.
And hilarious!
smile

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After living almost 20 years in big elk country, I've almost forgotten about the earlier deer smacks. Some of those did a bit of damage here and there over the years - most involved deer running into the side of the vehicle.

However, having a crash with an elk - particlarly a mature bull - can be serious stuff. The local tow service drags a lot of elk-ruined vehicles onto their lot and many of those hulks look scary. We have learned to slow w-a-y down when driving in this country at night and I normally ride the center line, as possible, to get a better view of both road shoulders.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I just missed the same bull elk that tex in cal missed on the way to Quemado last year - and can vouch for the "monster" part! We figured I was only a minute or so ahead of him.
I DO have a steer, a deer, and a horse under my belt, though.
(the horse lived - the others didn't). I've come so close to hitting elk that on the first occasion, you couldn't have fit a pack of cigarettes between her butt and my grill guard. The second time, we missed by about 3 feet. Missed that big bull by about 5 feet - man I'm glad he didn't jump into the headlights!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
few years ago i was coming out of meeker, colorado at night in a blizzard, couldn't see hardly in front of me, and a herd crossed the road. I nailed a doe with my 3/4ton dodge diesel. It did kill her. I stopped to pull it off the road and inspect damage. Another guy said i had to report it so i drove back into meeker to get the popo, who turned out to be a lady. We went back and she said, yep, you killed it, it's yours if you want it. She turns the flashers on, we pull the deer back on the road, she puts rubber gloves on, and helps me gut it. I fell in love. Cept i was married, she owned guns, and had a boyfriend. Over my desk right now i have framed a certificate that says roadkill wildlife possession, signed by her.
So, couple of days later i am sneaking into arizona at night with one headlight and damaged grill, dead deer in the back, and crossing the injun navajo rez at about 80 i get lite up by the resident highway patrol. I told him why and what i was doing, and he felt sorry enough, no ticket.
That 35pounds of processed deer cost me about 3500 in damages. Who says hunting is cheap.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've hit probably 4 or 5 deer with my 4 Runner alone...

several were just small ones, that just pretty much got run over...

two were hit at about 55 to 60 mph that darted out of brush so fast, it wasn't even worth hitting the brakes...

I have a 31 x 10.50 spare time mounted on the front...
I just centered the impact to be on that and took my foot off the gas pedal...

That thing takes quite a wallop and doesn't really hurt anything but the deer... the tire is mounted onto a Brush Guard...

sure I might of had deer burger down both sides of the truck, plus on the hood and windshield.... but that washes off...

Funny, I've missed a couple in the Pilot just this past month... one going out to Burns, bailed out of a ditch and hit me in the drivers door, which didn't seem to hurt anything on the Pilot...I was only doing about 50 mph, and that was at night.. out on isolated US 395 NO of Lakeview..
where I passed a total of 3 cars in a 110 miles...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I could(if I tried to do a tally)could add up the deer, and to date only one antelope, but the moose was most memorable! Did a lot of damage to my girlfriends (she still married me) '88 Honda Accord.On our way back to Kemmerer,Wy. after spending a Feb. day in Jackson Hole. Along cold ride from Bondurant,missing the drivers side window and pretty much sitting on the console trying to see out of a very broken windshield! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
During the 2 years I was employed for a vending company, coming down the mountain around 5 AM, I clipped 4 or 5. Not hard enough to do any damage, just had snacks and soda cans all over the stinkin' place from slamming on the brakes.

Got broadsided by one in my old dodge van....Saw 2 coming over the hedges out of someone's front yard, hit the brakes, stopped and them boom...The third one put a pretty good dent in front of the rear wheel well.

The best one though was about 7 or 8 years ago, taking a coworker home. Country road...Woods and a bit of a bank on the left, a field on the right. 2 deer came off the bank and crossed the road about a hundred yards ahead of me...I slowed down a bit....All clear...Got back on the gas...up to about 45 or so. Zach said something to me and I glanced at him...At that instant, There was one heck of a bang, the passenger side of my windshield disintegrated and Zach basically dove onto my lap.

A third deer came off the bank, hit the road and went to leap across....I caught its rear legs with the fiberglass piece around the headlight on my '79 Nova. That deer flipped over the hood, the front half came through the windshield and blew out the passenger side door window...The rear hooves left rather clear deer prints on my roof and caved in the front of the roof at the top of the windshield about 2 inches.

I slammed on the brakes, causing the deer to slide the rest of the way through the windshield, and land half on the front seat and half on the floor.

It was a dang good thing Zach was looking at me because he saw the deer coming off the bank on my side....I didn't...and was able to dive out of the way.

Well, stopped the car...we both got out the driver's side...I walked around and reached through the hole where the right front door window used to be and grabbed the critters neck...It was deceased. Good enough. Open trunk...open passenger front door and transfer rather tasty and pre-tenderized venison from seat to trunk.

The fiberglass headlight bezel, windshield and door glass cost a total of 75 bucks at the junkyard. Took a bit to clean the blood and glass out of the interior but all was good in the long run. The deer was the only casualty.

Don't let the name fool Ya!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The only one I've bagged with a car, so far, was coming back from an unsuccessful deer hunt.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hit a few where I didn't do any damage. I remember one my dad hit when I was a runt and the officer had to put it down right there on the side of 41.

I do remember one I hit - a yearling. I was doing just under 100 on a Ski-Doo Mach III. Poor bugger stepped out and I never even got my hands to the brakes and it was all over me.

Hood destroyed, blood all over my helmet/back and sled.

Ran the rest of the day, come back through and there was nothing but a big pink spot on the trail and that was it.

Me

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My first was heading to work one morning at about 5 am on a highway. My buddy texted me and I look done at the phone in center console briefly. Looked up and a deer was standing about 6 feet in front of the hood. At 85 mph in a VW golf it was ugly ,but continued on to work. At a bodyshop. When I had stopped to assess the damage, a guy that was following me stopped and Said " Holy&*%&^&^* " He was more shaken then I and he had blood guts and deer remands all over the front of his car........ he must have been following to close. laugh

Last edited by wyoming260; 02/01/16.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hit a very pregnant doe once with the L9000

All of 30 minutes after I put a new Texas bumper on it.

Me

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 1OntarioJim, 224th, 222Sako, 204guy, 43 invisible), 1,994 guests, and 1,114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,067
Posts18,463,501
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.