-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm building a light weight long range rifle with a titanium Remington 700 action and a proof barrel. I want to order a ptg 1 piece bolt but not sure on two things. First I want it fluted and want to save as much weight as possible (I know it's going to be fractions of an ounce...flame on) I'd like to get the large spiral but it looks like it doesn't leave much of a bearing surface. Will it have chatter across the top round in the mag and will it wear fast. I'm going to specify the correct size and would like it to be smooth and chatter free for years. The small spiral cuts look really small. Next thing is the extractor. It's going to be a magnum. Undecided on caliber still, but leaning towards a 300 rum. (Flame on again for building a 7lb 300 RUM) It looks like they don't offer the regular rem extractor on their mag bolts. Choices are sako, m16, or mini m16. For reliability what's my best choice? Thanks.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I would be hesitant to offer any advice that could enable such a disaster. I'd recommend a 300WSM Montana and just go with the stock extractor.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Have you emailed PTG to ask them about chatter? The large spiral does look like it might be the smoothest operator of the bunch. They don't specify which cut reduces the most weight. Curious myself, I want to order one for my M7.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
You could just get your factory bolt TIG-welded, and that would make it reliable. Then you could keep the factory 3 rings of steel in the bolt head.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
You could just get your factory bolt TIG-welded, and that would make it reliable. Then you could keep the factory 3 rings of steel in the bolt head.

Yeah I would use the bolt but it's been opened up to a lapua bolt face. Considered doing a 30-338 lapua mag but I'm already set up to load for the rum.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Boogaloo
I would be hesitant to offer any advice that could enable such a disaster. I'd recommend a 300WSM Montana and just go with the stock extractor.

Thanks....you shoot your montana. I like my montanas fine too. Going for a little more accuracy and range on this one. It's called mental gun build masturbation...sets in when the snow piles up and doesn't go away until the fish start biting. Montanas are boring.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MileHighShooter
Have you emailed PTG to ask them about chatter? The large spiral does look like it might be the smoothest operator of the bunch. They don't specify which cut reduces the most weight. Curious myself, I want to order one for my M7.

I haven't asked them because I doubt they have much experience cycling the bolt over a full magazine. I have talked to them before about reamers and other stuff and they were very helpful but I think they are machinists and not so much shooters or hunters. I wouldn't worry about it with your model 7. I haven't noticed it much with my short action factory TI's but my TI 30-06 is a little raspy.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

261 members (1_deuce, 30Gibbs, 264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 40 invisible), 1,573 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,444
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.