Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Durable? I suppose. I haven't broken them. They're pants.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Synthetic and layers for me, if I can afford them.

Yes, I live in Arizona. But I have also lived -- and camped and backpacked in winter -- in central Idaho and northern Vermont. I have packed a few miles in cold and heavy wool pants. They do work.

A 50-50 ish synthetic wool blend might be interesting. But pure wool is too heavy for me. I'm talking about active wear, not sitting wear.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Greenhorn

Reason I ask is I had a pair of Sitka Mountain pants that started to come apart within only a week of hard use.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've used the Cabela's swede pants, with fleece underneath, for a while now. Does a good job but a little noisy for still hunting that do especially walking through briars.
Pluses- wind proof, water proof, light,durable.

Next year will try the Berber Fleece(very quite) with wind shear.
For still hunting wool is too heavy for me, itches and most aren't wind proof.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Cold weather elk hunting begins and ends with wool. With some sort of silk or poly pro under layer, you have the finest combo. Been out there down to -30*, it wasn't super comfortable but the elk fed later and one met a .270Win. with a 150gr. Partition.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by 1minute
Jeans laced into packs if its above zero. Wool if it goes below.

I wear the flannel and fleece lined Carharts from about mid October to May here in Montana. Have about six pairs. Regret not buying the Sherpa lined version. Only at -20 and 40 mile per hour wind did I question my attire.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BWalker

Reason I ask is I had a pair of Sitka Mountain pants that started to come apart within only a week of hard use.

Right in the crotch I'll bet, seems to be a Sitka problem.
I prefer Kuiu.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I live in my first like Kanabs for hunting and work from october through spring, they are first rate, especially in cold weather with firstlite merino wool heavy weight long johns.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by BeanMan

I prefer Kuiu.

200 dollar + pants with that problem. GTFO . The seams are not properly reinforced, the fabric is substandard for sewing or the Chinese seamstresses are incompetent.

D
D
Well let me toss this to ya. I am a wool lover as well. Nothing better except, Wool with a dry plus liner, Cabelas. The wool works as it does, the liner prevents any moisture getting in. Even though Wool is suppose to keep you dry, wet is wet. My firm suggestion is, no pants, get bibs. So much more comfortable, keeps clothing tucked in and comfortable, much warmer than pants and no waist restrictions at all. Love them. Also, instead of a huge bulky parka, all you need is a jacket or light coat. The warmth of bibs is great and the heat rises right in to your jacket, chest and so on.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Elk hunting is so veried that this question is hard to answer. If horses are involved and not much walking I wear a pair of Schnees pac boots and a pair of West german mil surp wool pants with heavy weight merino long Johns underneath. If I am walking I use a pair of danner Canadian boots and Filson whipcord pants. With light weight merino long johns.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by BeanMan

I prefer Kuiu.

200 dollar + pants with that problem. GTFO . The seams are not properly reinforced, the fabric is substandard for sewing or the Chinese seamstresses are incompetent.

I think I've got 40+ days into each pair of Sitka pants I own, the Ascent and timberline. I've got no problems at all with them. Did you call the company with the problem you say? As of yet, they are the best I've used.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I did and they replaced them, just haven't had a chance to use them yet

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

272 members (22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 24 invisible), 2,492 guests, and 944 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,733
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.