Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Chosen from an Audette

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

6.5 Creedmoor/139 Scenar/H-4350

[Linked Image]

600 yard group with chosen load

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by sambo3006
For you guys that shoot ladder tests, do you shoot several ladders and look for a trend? I would think that just shooting it once would introduce a the probability of human error influencing bullet impact points, especially at 600 yards.

If you can't shoot, you can't shoot.

Factory ammo is perfect for those who fit the bill

My question still stands. I doubt very many of us can be supremely confident that there is absolutely no movement of the rifle during barrel dwell time of the bullet.

I have no doubt that I have far less experience than you at long range shooting but I do have access to a 600 yard range and have flung a fair amount of bullets out at the 4, 5 and 600 yard targets from both the bench and prone with bipod with some pretty accurate rigs. I've done a fair amount of load development with chronograph and shooting for groups at those ranges, just haven't done a ladder test yet, hence the question.

Not trying to start a pissing contest here but I think your response to my original post was not productive in the least and came off as arrogant and rude. I'll not post any further on this threat except for questions related to ladder tests in an effort to get it back on topic.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry you felt that was as that was not my intention. I was simply answering your question.

The point is that if your shooting skills are at a level where you can't be consistent enough to not affect the test, it doesn't matter what range you try to develop a load. Piss poor shooting fundamentals will affect results and a guy might as well shoot factory ammo.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
For you guys that shoot ladder tests, do you shoot several ladders and look for a trend? I would think that just shooting it once would introduce a the probability of human error influencing bullet impact points, especially at 600 yards.

If you can't shoot, you can't shoot.

Factory ammo is perfect for those who fit the bill

My question still stands. I doubt very many of us can be supremely confident that there is absolutely no movement of the rifle during barrel dwell time of the bullet.

I have no doubt that I have far less experience than you at long range shooting but I do have access to a 600 yard range and have flung a fair amount of bullets out at the 4, 5 and 600 yard targets from both the bench and prone with bipod with some pretty accurate rigs. I've done a fair amount of load development with chronographI'll not post any further on this threat except for questions related to ladder tests in an effort to get it back on topic.

You're threatening to piss in a contest with me?

LOL

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Fair enough. No sore mangina on my part. Although I do think I can take you in a pissing contest. I can dot the eye of a cheerio with a first round hit all the way across the room from the toilet. I developed that load with a ladder test but my wife got mad at me for not cleaning off the impacts of the hotter loaded rounds from the lid. grin

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Been "checking the harmonics" eh?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fair enough. No sore mangina on my part. Although I do think I can take you in a pissing contest. I can dot the eye of a cheerio with a first round hit all the way across the room from the toilet. I developed that load with a ladder test but my wife got mad at me for not cleaning off the impacts of the hotter loaded rounds from the lid. grin

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole
That's a good question, but only shows your inexperience with long-range shooting........

LOL - I maybe inexperienced

BUT - You are too ignorant to answer a simple question!

Last edited by RaySendero; 02/09/16.

Ray
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Ray, you're killing me, it was a joke, man!!!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Everyone's feelers get hurt around here.

Lighten up!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Harden up chopper Reid, Google it!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LOL!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ray, you're killing me, it was a joke, man!!!

Whatever, joke, playing - Your post screw-up my whole points on topic.

The OP asked about ignoring the horizontal.

Just think about this in reverse: If you WERE to find a good (small) vertical response point shooting a ladder, you wouldn't ignore the vertical because of a bad horizontal ?!

No - You should further test that point shooting some groups. The ladder IS NOT the end of your testing, its the starting point!

Ray
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Ray, I understand the question. My answer is, there's more than one way to skin a cat. Or find an accurate load. Or use the results of a ladder test.

Personally, I've tried them. Now I just find a load that shoots good at 100 and then stretch it out and see if it holds up at long range. Works for me.

I guess that just shows my inexperience with long range shooting too, but that's a burden I'll have to bear.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ray, I understand the question. My answer is, there's more than one way to skin a cat. Or find an accurate load. Or use the results of a ladder test.

Personally, I've tried them. Now I just find a load that shoots good at 100 and then stretch it out and see if it holds up at long range. Works for me.

I guess that just shows my inexperience with long range shooting too, but that's a burden I'll have to bear.

Smoke,

Actually my preferred method is also to work-up loads at 100 yds and then stretch it out to longer range groups, too. Because most of my hunting is within 200 yds. I've only used the type of ladder described for 2 rifles that did double duty as LR hunting and targets where I had expectation/possibility of 300 to 600 yds shots. Thus since I had already done some load work-up I could use smaller 0.1 grain steps and 20 shots would cover 2 full grain load spread. If you have a dedicated LR rifle and haven't tried it out - Just do it. 20 shots at 300 yds in an afternoon range session will be fun.

OK back to topic - My second point I was going to make:

We have some great info and theories in these 3 pages. But it should always come down to shooting the groups at the range yardages you expect to use'em.

Ray
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,680 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,021
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.