Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
fwiw,
It has put a lot of my other rifles in a harsh perspective for their cost...

Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

There's no doubt that Allen would want one of his favorite rifles enjoyed and cherished. I can only hope that someone as incredibly nice as Matt hunts with my beloved .280 Ackley after I'm gone. It would be great to know that the tradition is carried on.

Below is a photo of Allen. We were on a blacktail hunt above Fish Creek and I busted a huge-bodied buck in the worst possible place.

Hey, we grinned, got to work and manhandled the buck up the most horrible clearcut imaginable. Allen was a great guy to have along when the pack was BAD.

Godspeed, old friend, Godspeed

Steve

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How long ago was that Steve?

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Matt that right there is a STUNNING rifle sir! What an amazing example of the riflesmith's art!

You got a particular trip in mind on which you plan to bloody it?

Congrats.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dave7mm
How long ago was that Steve?

dave

Dave,

Early 2000s. I bought that cap in Schefferville and it wore out in about two years, so yeah ... 2001 or 2002.

Steve

IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Sir,

Funds transferred via PayPal. Transaction ID: 46T865517C385774A. Should show up on your side shortly. My mailing address is:

Warren Farrar
2978 hwy 330 West
Falmouth, KY. 41040

No rush on shipping. Just shoot me a tracking number when it goes in the mail.

Thank you, Warren

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dogzapper

There's no doubt that Allen would want one of his favorite rifles enjoyed and cherished. I can only hope that someone as incredibly nice as Matt hunts with my beloved .280 Ackley after I'm gone. It would be great to know that the tradition is carried on.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Friend Steve,
That means more than you can possibly imagine coming from you... I have always said you are the nicest guy I have ever met in the firearms industry. Bar none full stop. It has been a credit and an honor to know you.

Not to mention a hoot when I think about some of the unspoken stories that will go no further than the grin on my face...

Your Friend, Matt Garrett
Chesapeake, Virginia
757-581-6270

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Sir,

Funds transferred via PayPal. Transaction ID: 46T865517C385774A. Should show up on your side shortly. My mailing address is:

Warren Farrar
2978 hwy 330 West
Falmouth, KY. 41040

No rush on shipping. Just shoot me a tracking number when it goes in the mail.

Thank you, Warren

Warren,
I appreciate the donation to the Model 70 Scope Fund. With your transfer I should be able to put a couple new Schmidt Benders in the safe. I'm going to put a 1.5-8x42 Stratos on Allen's Rifle in Mark Penrod's upgraded Talley Bases with Stephen Heilmann's Talley Ring nut and wrench. Ingenious. www.metalandwood.com

[Linked Image]

Though since you sent so much I'm also buying a new 4-16x56 PMII Ultra Bright with an Illuminated Tremor 3 Reticle. It is going to be the scope I put on the .300 Winchester Magnum that I intend to build similarly to Darcy's Long Range Legend shown in stainless below. SHORT his genius. That said I have a suspicion mine will shoot...(grin) Mine will have a CM Receiver and sadly no Legend Rings, not that I know Darcy would make a 34mm Ring this high, however, it will look like a melding of the following. I know who to emulate...(laughing)

http://www.schmidtundbender.de/en/new-products/4-16x56-pm-ii-ultra-bright.html

[Linked Image]

Dunno how to thank you for the scope money. Know that I will spare no expense to procure the finest examples the world has to offer with your money... Tis the least I can do...(grin) Could not have done it without you. We will send a "Weidmanns heil" in your direction, to which I will respond "Weidmanns dank", upon blooding both...(wink)

Will send a bag of jerky to the address provided. At least a pound... Enjoy.

Regards, Matt.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
LOL... Looking forward to the jerky. I'll be waiting for the tracking number !

Just resent that info to the proper person via PM (as originally intended). Knew I had typed it out. Couldn't figure out why I couldn't find it in the PM string...

Doh... Somewhere between Oldtimers and CRS... grin

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Still shaking my head over my screw up. Sorry for the hijack. Mr. Day seems to have been a very stand up gentleman.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Still shaking my head over my screw up. Sorry for the hijack. Mr. Day seems to have been a very stand up gentleman.

My buddy Allen WAS a wonderful man and one who died well before his time.

Godspeed, old friend, Godspeed,

Steve

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Warren,
I've had more people offer to buy this rifle and, well, I thought you were kidding. Sorry for the jest response..:-). I actually had a Gentleman earnestly offer me right at $20K for that rifle 48 hours ago and it has not even left Hallowell & Company yet. In line to leave tomorrow... I am going to e-mail Morris and suggest he spring for a Pelican Storm IM-3300 out of the $1500 he shorted me on my Beretta DT-10 Trident... If anything would happen to the rifle it would be a terrible shame, as I thought highly of Allen, and the rifle itself speaks to me....

Regards, Matt.
757-581-6270

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dogzapper

My buddy Allen WAS a wonderful man and one who died well before his time.

Godspeed, old friend, Godspeed,

Steve

Friend Steve,
Why do we lose the real gems early? I have lost my share... I went to e-mail an old friend and mentor whom I had only recently fallen out of Christmas conversations and long e-mail conversations on sporting rifles with when I sent him an e-mail to no reply. I checked in with a mutual friend to learn he had passed to cancer in April of 2013 and was buried at Arlington National. Lt. Colonel Robert W Jones, Jr. was a sometimes Gun Writer and spent his time between homes in Royal Palm Beach, Florida and a beautiful cabin in Maine. I always figured I had missed him at one house or the other... Found the picture of his grave and honestly tears came and went for better than an hour. We had last seen each other at a Shugart Gordon Range Ceremony and he was in fine form. In his typical khakis with khaki cumber bund and one of his pair of Vietnam Era Custom Armand Swenson 1911 Colts peaking out between his shirt and the cumber bund. He had a sterling since of class... I plan to visit him this spring... Cannot begin to say how much I regret not staying current with one of my few true friends... Likely a lesson there somewhere.

Regards, Matt.
Your Friend...

T
toa Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Matt,
Your friend was and will always be an honorable hero. I don't know if you have ever been to, or attended a service at Arlington or not? It is a VERY humbling place, and the services held there are unforgettable. To qualify to be buried there, you must be highly decorated.

Birds of a feather flock together...speaks volume about you, sir.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
721 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 11point, 12344mag, 160user, 91 invisible), 2,713 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.