Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
@OP,

The rep you spoke with pretty much hit the high points of my experience. The B&C may be slightly lighter, however I like the thinner wrist on the HS. The paint on my HS stocks tend to have more "grip" than the B&C stocks.

My experience has also been less fitting and tinkering with the HS stocks to make them truly drop ins. The last B&C Alaskan stock that I purchased will be my last B&C for a while. I documented all of the issues with that stock in a separate thread last year. Won't belabor the point here.

FWIW, I've had good experience purchasing HS stocks from Red Hawk Rifles.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The HS varmint model has the double sling studs. This stock is geared for prone shooting and is fairly heavy. The sporter model is pretty nice and fits me well. I wish they offered the model used on the Mountain Eagle rifles as this is the best HS stock for me.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Orion and yeah, that's where I ordered. Terrific first impression of them as a company. I think I will like the black with gray web but am already getting the itch to paint it a pattern I have been wanting to try out for ages. Looks like I have to wait until tomorrow before it arrives - which is actually pretty dang fast.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
THE SAGA:
Okay, so I was excited to get the stock yesterday and figured I would take the three minutes to slap into in place....right?

A little convoluted and some partially self induced frustration but here it is.

First, I put the action in the stock and it won't seat. It is a good quarter inch off center to the left. My initial impression is WTF? Am I gonna have to hog out the hell of this thing or maybe return it? Removed the action and saw half the oval opening where the trigger comes through was thin solid blue plastic. Not sure how these stocks are made but appears maybe some had flowed while melted into the opening. It looked clean and almost as if it was supposed to be there but I knew it was not. I poked through with my finger and broke most off and the action slipped in to place. Still need to clean that up.

The package came with two action screws that had recessed allen heads. IT stated to use the included wrench but there was none. I played heck with the front action screw. Then a little harder push got it further into the stock but something wasn't right. t backed it out and it felt unscrewed all the way but would still hold a thread. VERY strange. I finally figured that part out. The rear action screw used a slightly different size allen wrench. The smaller wrench would grip enough to move turn screw somewhat... Felt dumb for taking so long to figure that out. In the meantime I used the original action screws and got the action in to place and tried to close the bolt. I got maybe half an inch within closing and the bolt stopped short. I could not see it binding externally, like around cut out for example. I removed all screws and still it was stopping short. I called Red Hawk (and I have to say these folks are stellar, as well as having excellent prices). Had their rep on speaker phone

HE suggested the mag box was too long and I think he , and kudos to Mathman in another post of mine for pointing out the same. He said someone could have put a BDL version in place and it is slightly longer. He suggested I sand down the box with a belt sander may 20/0000ths. I removed the screw that holds the magazine in place and set the action in to the stock and it worked perfectly. I noticed there was a tiny bit of oily blue lay dough around the lip from when I had bfd the Boyds tock. I cleaned this out and put the mag back. When I put it in the stock It would not fit. The action teeter tottered. I took it out and removed the magazine again and made sure it was propely in place. IT is not overly instinctive. There is not cut groove or any thing you feel click in to place. The magazine just sort of forms into the recess. Pretty sure this little bastard caused the demise of two walnut stocks of mine. I will take a file to it this evening and shave it a bit. The barrel floats absolutely centered and beautifully.

The trigger guard would not easily go in to place. I made it happen by sliding it into the opening and upward then pressing the back part (behind the trigger) into place. It is very tight but may have ever so slightly eased up with the multiple removals. Not sure If I should relieve it or not. Likely not unless someone advises otherwise.

I was fit to be tied about the bolt by now- an hour in to it. Left for dinner and a bourbon....or two.

One point. My 4 year old grandson was helping the whole time. Huffing and growling along with me and telling his mimi that - this is an action screw, it is important so don't touch it- he repeated this several times. He would repeat my - what it wrong with this thing - comments. When I needed a flashlight for screwing that tiny mag screw my wife used my iPhone light and he had a red light saber flashlight- all the while instructing mimi. Priceless.

Got back home later. Reseated the magazine, slapped the stock on the action and everything fit and worked perfectly. FINALLY.

My impression of the stock. Great texture to it. Looks and feels better made than the Bell and Carlson. Not scientific but true. A little more substantial. I did not weigh it but if weight savings is what you want this is not it. It seems no heavier than the walnut but no lighter- at least in the hand. The proportions are perfect though. Right length. Seems the lop may be a touch shorter than the B and C. Not sure but it feels very 'right'. Forearm not bulky and the wrist is perfect. Slim-ish but not skinny. Very natural to shoulder. The pad is much harder than a limbsaver. May sound nuts but I think on a hard kicker it would be nice. I think pads can sometimes be too soft (I know you might thin that nuts. This is only a 6mm and the Boyds had a very thin pad so comfrot will not be an issue, though I can't wait to shoot it to see how she feels.

The paint job is very nice. The black base is not shiny but not ugly flat. Tthe web gray is subdued and seems to add more of a hue than a web characteristic. Nice. Rifle of course looks completely different.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The one that I just put on my 270 was snug in the bottom metal as well. Mind you that it's a '69 with parts and pieces from hither and yon. I'm pretty sure there is some slop with that stuff. Has been for every rifle I've ever messed with. Except Tikka, go figure (no derail please).

Of the 3 HS stocks between my brother and I, all M70 LA's, there were little things that needed a nip and tuck. I'd put more faith in HS's dimensions over a spread of 45 years of Winchester.

All 3 are nice and tight, perfect float, dead center. I'd still rather Mcmillan, but a fella is foolish to turn his nose at a new HS for peanuts.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Godogs57
I'm sure your stock will serve you well. That being said I would have saved a few more pennies and gotten the McMillan. They are the gold standard for a reason...I've got several and love em. Just another opinion that's all.

And not to argue, but I'm not sure I'd call them the gold standard. They have a great niche though and some stellar marketing.

kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
And finally...

[Linked Image]

Yeah I kind of miss the walnut.... but do think it was just exchanged for a different sort of bad ass look now.

I took a file to the bottom of the mag box and used some heavier tape along to enclose the follower spring inside it, trimming the excess. I prefer the action screws that came with this stock over the original slotted screws.

AS far as the stock itself the shape, proportions, texture and overall quality impression is high. Shape size and dimensions are just perfect.

On to my next fias... uh....project. Slickening up a CZ 550 action. Sigh...wish me luck folks.

. Confucius
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Odds are after you shoot it you'll think "wal-what?"

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by 16bore
Odds are after you shoot it you'll think "wal-what?"

Odds are after he shoots it he'll be thinking "BandAid" with the scope sitting that far back... wink

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Holy crap, that's back there.

kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
short guy, scopes never been an issue. does look back there in this shot though.

. Confucius
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Love your scope placement! smile

(I like them back towards me as well)

Plus-1 to Red Hawk Rifles; I bought an HS stock from them last year. Very nice folks.

Finally, don't see "Mimi" around much. That's a family term we use as well. French....

Glad you got it installed. I bet she shoots....

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Jeff_O. Appreciate that and am stoked. Just loaded some 105 hot cores to test against the tried and true 85 hpbt's. No one that ever shot that rifle, and I have let a few, had any trouble using the scope in any condition.

The kid is adorable. Somewhere along the way he and I became "Team 5"- a creation of his. High fives me after any little completion of any thing and says "teamwork- right papa?".

My wife's mother was always Mimi to everyone so my wife wanted to be called that by the grandkids. A well loved woman. Whenever my kids asked me what I should be called when they had kids for years I repeated the same answer as mock gruff as I could - "sir!" and would follow with don't bring em round till they can push a mower.... Kept that up until the very last minute. Don't think I will ever feel old enough for grandpa so...papa seemed to fit.

. Confucius
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Mine call wife Mimi. I think it was her idea. On my paternal side, Granddad was the name. Mine became DadDad when the oldest had trouble saying Granddad as she began to talk. It has stuck.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just came back from the range after sending three different loads down the tube in the new H-S. Dang do I LIKE this stock. 6mm shoots like the pussy cat it should be and no surprises shot to shot. I said the same thing about the B and C (260) but the dimensions of the HS are just nicer and more solid over all.

. Confucius
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1eyedmule, 12344mag, 222ND, 2003and2013, 10Glocks, 163bc, 61 invisible), 2,551 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,159
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.