Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have had several and till have one citori. I like it but I like to use all gauges, 410, 28, 20, 16 and 12. I just enjoy switching and shooting different gauges and guns. I'm not married to any of them.

NRA Patron
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It is my favorite and only upland gauge that I use any more for grouse and pheasants. I have two 16 gauge pump guns, a Winchester Model 12 and a Remington 31. The Winchester is a little lighter at 6 7/8 lbs compared to the Remington which wwighs in at 7 1/4. Remington has a smoother action and heavy barrel that makes its better on long crossing shots. Both very nice guns. Never felt undergound. I have made some long range shots that left my hunting buddies looking at each other. They all use 12's.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
It's all I shot before steel shot came along. I had a trio, Remington 11, Lefever Nitro and Remington 870. I'm down to the 870 but I think it's time for a SxS 16 again.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My favorite upland gun is a BRNO SxS sidelock 16 bore that I had opened up to .005" and .015". I have a neat old, pretty high condition, Hopkins and Allen SxS 16 bore that was given to me by a friend. I still need to get it out.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have used 16 gauge shotguns a fair bit and as long as they are built on properly sized frames, I really like them. I don't find it difficult to find ammo these days, even in fairly out of the way places, but generally avoid that by having a flat or two of shells under the back seat of the pickup.

Last year, I bought one of the 16 gauge Dickinsons at Cabela's to use as a 'hard use' double. It has been great so far and has killed a pile of birds. Here is a photo with Gretchen the Wunderhund in Wisconsin last October:

[Linked Image]

And with some Gambel's quail taken in Arizona in January:

[Linked Image]

Here is my minty Model 12 16 gauge, stolen from our own GF1, out in the chukar hills this winter. Notice the close proximity of the gun to wet rocks, it happens in the real world.

[Linked Image]

I also have a very high condition Fox Sterlingworth ejector with a 15.25" factory LOP and 28" barrels choked IC and modified inbound from Vintage Firearms. It will be out after dusky grouse and band tailed pigeon in Southern Utah in September, then back to the lake cabin in Wisconsin for the first two weeks of October.

Ahhh, so many birds, so little time. grin

Best,

Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Tell me about the Dickinson? Are they made by someone else? They look like a Ugartechea, which I love.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They are made by Akus in Turkey. They have triggerplate actions and thinwall chokes without any bulging in the barrels. Really a nice gun for the money. My 16 weighs six pounds eight ounces.

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mart
I posted this a few years ago on another forum but it's still true today regarding the 16 gauge.

A man who identifies himself as a 16 gauge shooter is instantly elevated in "coolness" in any firearms circle. It immediately signifies one as being of good taste and judgement. If the shooter's firearm happens to be a fine English or high grade American double wearing an exceptional piece of french walnut and bearing the evidence of much use but great care, he will be spoken of in reverential tones. The only shooters who could hope to rival him are those who shoot fine doubles in 28, short 10, and 2 1/2" 12 bore.

You will be found to be more interesting anywhere hunters and shooters gather. New shooters will instantly recognize you as the final word in all things shotgun. Women respond to men of good taste and refinement and will find you more attractive. Dogs are astute judges of character and will hunt better for you. In fact your best friend's dog may hunt better for you than him with his synthetic stocked jamamatic. Being a 16 gauge shooter, you are also gracious enough to hunt with him despite his lack of taste and character. You will essentially be the shooting fraternity's version of the world's most interesting man. cool grin

Man I had better get on the ball and find a 16 gauge. We have a single shot 28 gauge and I do covet a 10 one day smile

Gerry.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
If I was in need of a SxS I would be all over the Dickinson which, I believe, is what S&W was selling four or five years ago. They are a very well made piece.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by gerrygoat
Originally Posted by mart
I posted this a few years ago on another forum but it's still true today regarding the 16 gauge.

A man who identifies himself as a 16 gauge shooter is instantly elevated in "coolness" in any firearms circle. It immediately signifies one as being of good taste and judgement. If the shooter's firearm happens to be a fine English or high grade American double wearing an exceptional piece of french walnut and bearing the evidence of much use but great care, he will be spoken of in reverential tones. The only shooters who could hope to rival him are those who shoot fine doubles in 28, short 10, and 2 1/2" 12 bore.

You will be found to be more interesting anywhere hunters and shooters gather. New shooters will instantly recognize you as the final word in all things shotgun. Women respond to men of good taste and refinement and will find you more attractive. Dogs are astute judges of character and will hunt better for you. In fact your best friend's dog may hunt better for you than him with his synthetic stocked jamamatic. Being a 16 gauge shooter, you are also gracious enough to hunt with him despite his lack of taste and character. You will essentially be the shooting fraternity's version of the world's most interesting man. cool grin

Man I had better get on the ball and find a 16 gauge. We have a single shot 28 gauge and I do covet a 10 one day smile

Short tens are fun and go a long ways towards elevating one to "very cool."

[Linked Image]

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Toaded into a nice, kinda rare, 16 bore today. Its one of the real early, late 50's I figure, 870 Wingmaster. The best part is its a vent rib, SKEET choke! Factory tube. Nice clean old shooter.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by passport
Toaded into a nice, kinda rare, 16 bore today. Its one of the real early, late 50's I figure, 870 Wingmaster. The best part is its a vent rib, SKEET choke! Factory tube. Nice clean old shooter.

Wow... a 870 "Skeet" in 16 gauge. Now that's a rare one. A Mec 600 in 16 is coming to your loading room soon.

Doc

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LOL!! Im not sure its a "true" Skeet grade Doc, it does not say SA on it but its cool!

Glad I stocked up on Herters 1 oz cases :-)

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a old Model 12 16 gauge that is old enough to require the 2 1/2 inch shells which I get from RST. Fun gun to shoot doves/pheasants with.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bobmar
A one ounce load in a 16 gauge is about a good as is gets, put that in a Model 12, with a solid rib and you have reached perfection! At least good enough for me....

Had that same solid rib M12 16 gauge as a young man and thought it was perfect.
Best $90.00 that I ever spent (1977)

Could find a full case of 1 1/8 #7.5 shells at the same price 12/20 gauge ammo just about everywhere..

Unfortunately I sold it to pay bills after a car wreck.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Savage_99
The 16 gauge is not perfect for every shotgun use just like no particular rifle or handgun cartridge is.

That's why there are so many.

You might want to take up fishing ...........

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
715 members (204guy, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 75 invisible), 2,943 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,770
Posts18,401,519
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.