Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don't understand needing two packs. I haul everything to camp in my Seek Outside pack, unload it, make camp and then just put a few things I may need for the day in and hunt with it. The straps enable it to be cinched down and it is very light. Shoot an elk, bone it out, toss as much meat in as I can carry and pack it to camp. Repeat as necessary. Eventually haul it all down to the truck.

BP-B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I used to bring a separate daypack, thinking that a full-size pack would make too much noise ducking through brush. Until I realized it didn't, especially on rifle hunts. That, and seeing that none of the experienced backpack hunters I've hunted with brought a day pack.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It obvious that I don't need to cary as much stuff as you guys do....that is why I use a smaller pack (1800) to hunt with and haul out load #1 and a light pack frame from then on.

I will admit wanting a bigger pack to allow hauling layering clothes

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Taking a light first load out is a gigantic waste of time for me. Even on hunts that I can return to a truck/cabin/house each night, I'm not taking a pack with me that can't haul out at least a boned out rear quarter. Pretty easy for me to compress my 9,000cu Kifaru down into a day-pack type setup.

Tanner

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The day pack that I use will haul out 1 quarter

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by tedthorn
It obvious that I don't need to cary as much stuff as you guys do....that is why I use a smaller pack (1800) to hunt with and haul out load #1 and a light pack frame from then on.

I guess I should've qualified my comments by saying "on a backpack trip."

Wait a minute.....

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
bildd, since no ones asked, what's you're budget? There's a whole lot of bang for the buck out there in used packs right now, especially Kifaru gen 2 duplex's or bikini's with guys upgrading to the newer frame. For most people those frames are better than anything that eberlee, badlands, tenzing, blacks creek or any of the other mid-tier companies have ever produced.

Originally Posted by Tanner
Taking a light first load out is a gigantic waste of time for me. Even on hunts that I can return to a truck/cabin/house each night, I'm not taking a pack with me that can't haul out at least a boned out rear quarter. Pretty easy for me to compress my 9,000cu Kifaru down into a day-pack type setup.

Tanner

Exactly, I can't wrap my mind around school bag type day packs and 2 pack systems. I'm usually a minimum of an hr's walk from the vehicle. I can usually do a cow in 2 trips. What a waste of time, and energy to carry out 40lbs somewhat comfortably and then have to make 2 more trips. If you try to do 2 trips with a daypack you have 80 lbs of pure hell with a daypack that has a marginal frame,marginal belt and no functional load lifters. But I'm sure it was comfortable to wear around, and 2lbs lighter than a real pack. Same deal with a bull, if the capes not coming out 3 heavy trips, done.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Tanner

Tanner

This. I don't know where the daypack folks are killing elk, but when I get one down, the least amount of trips between the elk and the truck is best.

Thus, I carry a large pack (not full of gear, mind you)...have had two elk quarters and a trimmings bag in it before with some minimal gear for the hunt and off the mountain we went. Also, had eight deer quarters (coues, so not too bad) with gear this season.

When hunting rough, up and down country and far from the vehicle, the less trips the better imho.

YMMV

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The Eberlestock J-34 aka "Just One" is a well thought out design with a great rifle scabbard and has all the adjustment you would want. It can start as a daypack and expand to 4800 cu. inches and even beyond that with an add-on pack.
At 7# 8oz. I find it to be an exceptional pack that I've carried from AK thru WY, CO and NM..
FWIW, the three guides I know in AK all use external framed packs for serious haul- outs in mountain country. They shop at Barneys Sports Chalet in Anchorage.

Choices are always a good thing.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 02/11/16.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
The Eberlestock J-34 aka "Just One" is a well thought out design with a great rifle scabbard and has all the adjustment you would want. It can start as a daypack and expand to 4800 cu. inches and even beyond that with an add-on pack.
At 7# 8oz. I find it to be an exceptional pack that I've carried from AK thru WY, CO and NM..
FWIW, the three guides I know in AK all use external framed packs for serious haul- outs in mountain country. They shop at Barneys Sports Chalet in Anchorage.

Choices are always a good thing.

At 7# 8oz you can almost double the size for a couple "extra" ounces...and have the extra space available, when one needs it the most.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I like my Alps Traverse.

had a nice mountainsmith. owner repossessed it.
so I went to replace it.
highly recommend REI. I went there, tried several 'large for a day pack' sizes. they have sandbags to test load it. they have a little pile of rocks or steps and ramps to test climbing on. I spend a good half hour, most of it with the pack I bought on and loaded.

put in all the sand bags that will fit. Or about 40 pounds I think. don and doff the pack loaded, walk around the store, climb the little practice structures, etc.

I ended up with a german designed pack from a colorado company that was made in vietnam. it is a Deuter. black and charcoal.

half the battle is finding one NOT colorful. This Deuter Act Trail 38 EL has nothing colorful on it. Includes rain cover. ammo pocket on the hip belt. VERY GOOD suspension/belt/straps. sternum strap.

drawbacks: my friends mountian smith had slightly more/better pockets, but had bright yellow bungee and zipper pulls.

I think I have used it (killed) at least 2 or 3 times and it performed exactly as expected. I put the backstraps and tenders in it (about the same as all the rei sandbags) and the binocular. bungee the wool sweater, wear the goretex shell unzipped, pack out or at least to wherever I left the plastic sled. plastic sled out the quarters later with light pack, no rifle.

I only shoot cows.

be careful with the 'hunter specific' packs. suspension can be lacking and its the most important part. take a boy scout or someone who has done a lot of backpacking with you if you haven't yourself. someone that has carried 40+ pounds for miles in a pack and knows where it should sit on your hips.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 0x00
be careful with the 'hunter specific' packs. suspension can be lacking and its the most important part.

Which packs are you referring to?

LDB Offline
I bought a Blacks Creek Grip Frame and the Alternative (3000 cu. inch) bag and 2 Nick Nack sacks for the waist belt last year and was very pleased with it's performance both hunting and once the animal was down. I did overnight solo backpack hunts, day hunts, packed out several animals and have never used a better set-up. It is very versatile and adjustable with a full waist belt and chest straps that adjust down far enough to fit my skinny frame, good load lifter straps and I also got the extra shoulder pads though I hardly used them since loads up to 80 lbs or so carried very comfortably without them. I was able to put my basic camping gear on the frame then attach the bag with hunting gear and extra rations to it for an overnight back pack hunt, I could bring as much meat as I wanted out on the first trip and I didn't have to put it in the bag with my hunting gear, it served every purpose that was needed this season. I still brought a Cabela's Alaska Frieghter Frame with me but I never actually used it as I found the Grip Frame was very comfortable, I liked still having the Nick Nack sacks on the waist band for the few items I carry when relaying elk quarters and I enjoyed the lack of an external frame sticking up & hooking branches etc. I also found it to be easier to attach a load to the frame than tying them on to a traditional frame (although a few bungees does make strapping a load to a conventional frame pretty easy) the straps etc. provided made the task virtually effortless.

I also like the fact that they are made in Idaho and when I talked to them on the phone they assured me they would do any alternations I needed to make it fit perfect if necessary, although I can't see where any are needed they seemed committed to making a product that would be the last pack you need to buy for a long time & have a lifetime warranty policy. I like the fact that you can get 2,000 and 5,000 inch bags that will attach to the same frame, my 3,000 inch bag compresses down very nicely when empty but the 2,000 might be nice for day hunts in the early season, I think if you were going to do a multi-day backpack trip the 5,000 might be nice but I was able to get all I wanted to carry at once with the 3,000 inch bag.

All in all I would say I will never elk hunt with anything but a 1 pack system again, there are other brands I might consider but I would not consider a 2 pack system again and don't even bother looking at low end economy packs for serious elk hunting. I was able to compare my pack to a new Kifaru one of my guides upgraded to this year & to be honest I liked my Blacks Creek better, Dylan said he kinda wished he had looked at the Blacks Creek packs as well before he bought after comparing them side by side but all in all I think he is happy with his Kifaru. I know Kifaru has an excellent reputation, there are several other brands I might consider but Blacks Creek is definitely worth a look.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
This picture shows backstraps, neck meat, tenderloins from my archery spike bull & butchering tarp loaded on frame for first trip out, the bag can now be buckled onto the frame & cinched down tight.

[Linked Image]

Better to do it when you're young so you can talk about it when you're too old than talk about it when you're young and do it when you're too old.

www.clarkforkoutfitters.com
Smokepole:

no particular brand but when I try on other packs that my hunting buddies have I have noticed some that the back/lumbar part of the suspension was flat like a board, not conforming to body shape. it was a 'very tight, wide, flat strap of nylon.' there was some sort of frame in side that held it taught. it laid flat on the back vertical, not angled forward on top at all to 'sit' on hips. thus, unless very tight on the belt, everything was on the shoulders. and it was flat left to right, didn't wrap around body.

the most important thing is to try in person. even if you order online, try packs at a shop that can load them heavy.

if my buddy had killed, he would have been it trouble. I think it would have caused great pain with any weight in there at all.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My experience is just the opposite. The two brands of hunting-specific packs I've tried (Kifaru and paradox) are both excellent.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
645 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,597 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,601
Posts18,398,282
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.