Print Thread
Hop To
J
JeffG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I have a Kuiu guide jacket, works fine shedding water in snow, and gentle rain, very comfortable and quiet, just doesn't stop the wind like I want. What's my next best choice?

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The DCS Guide hasn't disappointed me in any way.

What size is it?

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just layer a cheap wind jacket over it

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I've had good luck with the First Lite Jacket.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I looked at the FL but it doesn't have a hood so I bought the Kuiu Guide. I really like FL gear but a jacket without a hood is like brushing your teeth without toothpaste - it doesn't work like it should.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bwinters
I looked at the FL but it doesn't have a hood so I bought the Kuiu Guide. I really like FL gear but a jacket without a hood is like brushing your teeth without toothpaste - it doesn't work like it should.

Depends upon which FL jacket. The "puffy" has a hood. The Sanctuary has a hood. The soft shell does not.

To the OP; a light windstopper fleece underneath can work wonders, as can a good merino wool layer underneath the jacket.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
J
JeffG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm kinda disappointed with Kuiu's hood too, it doesn't really have a good storage when not in use, just bunches up under my bino strap. Plus it doesn't cinch up around the face, just has that top cinch, that's supposed to do...what, exactly?

Of course this Kuiu jacket is light-years beyond the equipment our father's used. I'm just comparing it with the well-developed excellent hiking/climbing shells out there, (which don't come in quiet fabric with opti-fade camo prints).

JeffG
J
JeffG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I use merino base layers, then micro-fleece middle layer when it's cold, or I'm sitting. The windstopper mid layer is what I hoped might work, but it won't do as much as as my Marmot or Patagonia water-resistant wind-stopper outside shells. The hiking shells are highly adjustable with cinches all over the place. Of course they are all Yellow and Red way too noisy, but otherwise perfect for me.

JeffG
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good point. I was looking at their North Branch. I have the Sanctuary and find the hood good. On the NorthBranch, it seems a waste to tape all the seams, give it a decent waterproof then not put a hood on it. The big hole in the top tends to let alot of rain in. <G>

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
680 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 80 invisible), 2,911 guests, and 1,416 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,478
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.