-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I use a laptop all the time but not as a laptop. I plug a larger 22" monitor into it and use a wireless keyboard and mouse. The computer just sits off to the side. That way I still have the laptop for when we're on the road.

I learned that you do NOT want to shut off the laptop monitor completely. Just turn it all the way down. If it's turned off and something happens where the external monitor doesn't load, you have no monitor at all.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Since he definitely doesn't want a Mac, I would suggest a PC mini tower with at least 8 gig of ram and a SSD drive. The SSDs are pricey, but the speed is worth it. The Lenovo is a solid machine.

Last edited by LeonHitchcox; 02/09/16.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Redneck
All good info above.. Guess I better make a trip to the nearest Best Buy and ask questions..

I'd not heard of an SSD before this thread. Since the PC I'm referring to above, would that work with a tower that old? I.e., since it's close to 15 years, am I polishing a turd IYGMD?
as soon as you walk out the store with the computer you are polishing a turd pretty much. I would say you got your moneys worth

Macs are very intuitive but they cost more then your budget

I've heard many, many good things about Lenovo so that's definitely an option..

I have a work issued Lenovo laptop. It is reliable but very expensive and heavy as hell to carry .. The company is now offering macbook pros with dual operating systems so that is my next one.

Thank you, all, very much.

R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
Since he definitely doesn't want a Mac, I would suggest a PC mini tower with at least 8 gig of ram and a SSD drive. The SSDs are pricey, but the speed is worth it. The Lenovo is a solid machine.
That's about where I'm headed, I think.. Just have to eyeball 'em in person and try to ask the right questions then..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've heard many, many good things about Lenovo so that's definitely an option..

My last PC, and current one, is a Lenovo (aka IBM). Been well satisfied. I'll buy another when the time comes.

There's an old saying in the IT world - 'No one ever got fired for buying IBM or Cisco."

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
IC B2

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They can fire me!! wink I'll use their Thinkpad as an anchor baby while fishing!!!

Actually, I have a great job at Blue.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My wife has a Lenovo lap top. Her processor and the one in my HP are supposed to be the same speed but the Lenovo is twice as fast. They both have the same memory.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Lenova is NOT IBM. It's a chinese company that bought out IBM's PC business, but it's been purely chinese for quite a few years.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Lenovo also bought the X Series Server line.

The CHINESE products are still solid and built to the same spec as Lenovo has been building for quite sometime.

Although, they are moving all of us to Apple.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I don't know if a laptop would suit your needs or not, but I'll never go back to a desk top setup...I got my current one at Walmart on line...it's a refurbished HP Elitebook 8460 that I snagged for about $250 out the door. Currently has Win 7 but has a free upgrade available for Win. 10. I'm completely wireless with the Verizon "Jetpack"...

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

491 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 42 invisible), 1,784 guests, and 1,034 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,179
Posts18,465,614
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.