Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
New for 2016.....

Prior to 2016 we could turn in a big game license any time before the season started for a full refund. I used it for elk a few years ago when my son was born in October.

This year, you must turn in your license at least 30 days before the start of the season and there is a $15.00 charge.

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It's all about money.If you do turn it in,they get $15, if you can't turn it in before the 30 days,they get to keep the money for the tag.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And they will resell the license, which they did not do previously. Means there could be some interesting leftovers, but you'll never know when they will pop up. I think they said the old refund policy was costing about $1.8M a year.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
This came up at one of the sportsman's round tables I attended. This change was implemented because hunters were scouting their unit and if they didn't like what they saw they would turn the tag in the day before the season opened. I'm glad they made the change.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not that I will ever hunt CO, but it seems reasonable to refund for legit medical or emergency reasons... beyond that it is a gift.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
There are a lot more reasons to have to turn a tag in than the scouting not looking good.That is only one reason. Death in family, illness, company unscheduled traveled, weather. I can't see what the problem would be if you draw an area and then later in the year,it doesn't pan out.

Example. Two years ago,I used 8 pref points for deer in eastern CO The CPW biologist told me that the whitetail population was down maybe 25% and it was just in small locales. Checking it out with locals,the population was down 75% or so. Why would I want to use those points in that area then?

Several years ago, hunters tried to tell CPW that there was significant elk winter kill in the Flat Tops in Colorado.The CPW denied it. A lot of hunters got stuck with tags where there were no elk. Hunters that fund out about it early turned in their tags. Two years later the CPW admitted they knew the elk numbers were down.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I'm neither for it or against it. I just wanted other hunters to know that the rules had changed.

For me, it could be only a $50 loss. Those from out of state could be out $500 if they have an emergency 29 days before their season starts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Several years ago, hunters tried to tell CPW that there was significant elk winter kill in the Flat Tops in Colorado.The CPW denied it.

Just like they denied the winter kill of deer in the NW for 3 years running before they admitted that the herds were down but never quit issuing doe tags.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Got my brochure yesterday.Certain emergencies still qualify for less than 30 days

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 222ND, 72 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,678
Posts18,456,284
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.