Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Ogoki Offline OP
OP Offline
O
I recently purchased a 99R in excellent condition. Looked for ever to find one that suited me. It is factory drilled and tapped. I did a search here and read until I was blue in the face . Some say the Weaver #14 and #19 do not work right. I have also read others say go with the one piece Leupold . Open for suggestions . Date code on lever is a "D" which looks like a 1952 . Also how would I know if the swivel studs are factory or not ? I did read where many of the R model was factory Swivel studs.

Going to stop at Jays Sporting Goods tomorrow on the way to my cabin to see what I can find .

This 99 is in 300 Savage . Love that round . I already have one in a Remington 722 that was my Dad's . It has taken 25 deer and a black bear . My wife loves this gun as it doesn't beat her up to shoot it .

I also purchased a Remington 700 Classic in 2003 in the 300 Savage . It has not been shot , just sits in the safe . I do take it out to admire and keep clean.

Looking forward to making some history with my 99 .

Humm , may even take it mule deer hunting .

Thank you for any advice On the mounts .

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The 1950's 99R's came standard with sling eyes, not studs.

[Linked Image]

I've heard reports that some of the newer Weaver bases are off. I haven't run into one, but I haven't bought a new set in the last 3 or 4 years. The Leupolds work great, just cost more. Or you can keep your eyes open for an older vintage one, Redfield one piece bases are pretty common for standard d&t'd 99's.

Congrats on getting a 99! And good luck at keeping it at only one. They tend to be a "can't have just one" type of gun. grin

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
21 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Leupold one piece mount on a 99R in .300, one of the only leverguns I ever allowed myself to scope, and then just because I have two of them exactly alike, same year DOM, and wanted something different. I highly recommend it.

Last edited by 21; 04/15/16.

"Never force anything, just get a bigger hammer".
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have the Leupold one piece adjustable base on my 99R. I'm well pleased with it, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Redfield made two different Jr. (one-piece) bases. One type does not fit the standard factory holes and has the rotary dovetail located between the screws - if I recollect correctly. The other does fit the factory holes but has the rotary dovetail located in front of the receiver ring. The Leupold is essentially a copy of this base. I too have had no problems with older Weaver bases. Lyman made a "TruLock" two piece mount that fit much like the Weaver base but had a different style ring and attaching system. Lyman private labeled these for Savage. Leupold also made a one-piece "Adjusto" mount and a two-piece "Detacho" mount (someone at "Leupoldo" must have liked putting the letter O on the end of their product lines). The Adjustos look something like the one-piece Redfield base but are completely different as they allow for mounting scopes with no internal adjustments. The Detachos are two piece bases that kind of resemble Weavers, but with quick release levers.

Last edited by S99VG; 04/15/16.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Five with Leupolds. All work perfectly.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All my R's are wearing Redfield or Leupold one piece mounts.

I should head to Gaylord soon to, the turkey decoy prices are a lot better there than here in Canada, even with the dollar where it is.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
O
Ogoki Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Thank you for the information !

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I'd use the Weaver 14 and 19's. The one piece bases force you to keep the scope farther forward that suits my eye. You can bring it back about and inch with the Weaver 2 piece set up. Best,.

Jim

God is pursuing you America ---turn around!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have never had a problem with the 14's and 19's

Having said that, others have reported issues.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I had a Leupold one piece on my 358 Brush Gun and eventually replaced it with Weavers (early 80's I think). Damn screws wouldn't stay tight, especially the rear screw that clamped the ring to the base.

Haven't had a problem with the Weavers.

Plus, I find I have more room with the 2 piece bases to fumble cartridges into the magazine when my fingers are cold or I'm wearing gloves.

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the weaver bases also for the same reason as 300jimmy but I like the new 4x4 weaver rings they're light years ahead of the standard weaver rings that pull your scope over when you tighten them down...always hated that

plab

Gotta love them 303's
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but some of the older Weaver rings would dent your scope. I had some with dimples on the inside of the sheet metal ring that were crated when they punched in the screw holes. I fixed it by sanding the dimples flush and touching it up with cold blue.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The old Weaver rings easily earn the POS label in my book. They have ruined more scope tubes than all of the competition.

The lightweight aluminum bases are hard to beat though! Just use some decent rings with them.
!!

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Back in the day I mated a few Burris Z Rings to Weaver bases. They worked a treat.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ummm, love those Z rings! Worth the price.

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
296 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 28 invisible), 2,011 guests, and 936 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,953
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.