24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use a ladle to pressure pour certain bullets & find as you very little variation in weight.

BP-B2

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
"air bubbles" in the cast bullet alloy will throw the weights around bullet to bullet. I suspect.
what i haven't done yet but keep threatening to do is make a duplex lead bullet. Soft nose followed by a hard shank.
not like it hasn't been done before.
I have at least a half dozen of these combinations i need to run into water jugs/chrony. But then it's only in the 90's now, as usual i probably will wait till it's 115 in the shade on the desert.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
"air bubbles" in the cast bullet alloy.

Hummmmmm. That must be an Arizona kinda thing. Over here east of the Big Muddy, we don't have air bubles in our casting alloys because they just rise to the surface and pop.

As for the temperatures, I feel for you and it's begining to get summertime up here on the mountain too. The weatherman says it's gonna get up to 77 or 78 degrees today and it's already up to 74 out there now and I still have a few post holes to dig. Digging post holes in the mountains can be fun because you never know where those big rocks are hiding which makes laying out split rails that are 8 feet long more like putting a puzzle together than building a split rail fence. grin grin Nobody ever said it was easy being a mountain man.

Creeker, funny you should mention "pressure molding" because that is exactly the way I cast those big BPCR bullets. I had about 25% fewer culls due to weight variance from each casting batch doing it that way. People say using a ladle is too slow, but by the time you factor in the cull difference, it is about as fast to cast good usable bullets that way because you keep most of what you cast instead of putting them in the recycle can.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Creeker, funny you should mention "pressure molding" because that is exactly the way I cast those big BPCR bullets.

Works great for the long ones.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Scott F
I have enjoyed following this subject but found out the hard way what you guys are talking about. I cast a same style bullet and loaded some 45 Colt loads for my nephew. The work fine in my Blackhawk but are to long for his Italian model. Now I have to pull them, recast, and reload them or just shoot them in my Ruger then load some more for him.

scott
my worst "issue" was one time having to uncork about 500rounds of m1carbine that i screwed up. I was cussing the whole time for being stupid.

Experience: When you recognise your mistake after you make it again. blush

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Modern retractable gear aircraft are equiped with a GPWS, or Ground Proximity Warning System. An alarm sounds in the cockpit or headset when the aircraft gets too close to the ground with the landing gear in the up position. An old flying friend of mine flew in here the other day on his way up to Virginia and I met him at the Gainesville airport for lunch. He told me that two weeks before, he had accidentally landed his Piper Navaho with the gear up. I was surprised to hear that because of the GPWS and I asked him why it didn't work to prevent his accident. He smiled and said, "oh it worked fine and the dam thing buzzed and irritated the hell out of me all the way down to ground contact!!!"

Some people only learn after acquiring a sufficient amount of scar tissue. grin

Last edited by BobWills; 05/31/16.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
"air bubbles" in the cast bullet alloy will throw the weights around bullet to bullet. I suspect.
what i haven't done yet but keep threatening to do is make a duplex lead bullet. Soft nose followed by a hard shank.
not like it hasn't been done before.
I have at least a half dozen of these combinations i need to run into water jugs/chrony. But then it's only in the 90's now, as usual i probably will wait till it's 115 in the shade on the desert.

lyman mentions it in some of their faq's. more noticable on big bullets and when the mold in not venting properly.
https://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/faqs/bullet-casting.php

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Nice load room,Bob.Have to like TWO Acoustic waves too!Scott

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You have a good eye s2503000. I have had people ask me what they were. As old as I am, I bought the first Wave radio back when we all played 8 track tapes and one of those radio's has an 8 track tape player in it. The newer one has a CD player in it. I have them cross wired with in put / out put jacks so that when I play one, I can hear it through both radios and have eight Bose speakers going instead of just four. That much sound get's that little room jumping pert good. Since I still have a bunch of 8 track tapes and a bunch of CD's, I always have good blues music to do my reloading. That's why my reloads come out so good even if I don't powder coat my bullets. grin grin grin My bullets are coated with a thick layer of the down home, dirt road, acoustic Delta BLUES. Hear what I'm talk'in about here -->> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ikg38fS4eH0

Last edited by BobWills; 07/10/16.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Scott F
I have enjoyed following this subject but found out the hard way what you guys are talking about. I cast a same style bullet and loaded some 45 Colt loads for my nephew. The work fine in my Blackhawk but are to long for his Italian model. Now I have to pull them, recast, and reload them or just shoot them in my Ruger then load some more for him.

scott
my worst "issue" was one time having to uncork about 500rounds of m1carbine that i screwed up. I was cussing the whole time for being stupid.

You will get the chance to see those to long bullets this weekend.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B3

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
668 members (06hunter59, 17Fan, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 76 invisible), 2,663 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,346
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.