24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
From what I can tell it's all tire noise, the back cargo area isn't insulated against noise very well. When I bought mine folks on-line complained about the original equipment tires, when I bought new ones I could tell the noise was less. It's not terrible but at 65+ mph on the freeway you have to turn the radio volume up a bit to hear. Less than that it isn't an issue. Keeping the back seat up mitigates that but I usually keep mine down since I use the full cargo area most of the time.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Jim, and others,

What size tires do these CrV's use? I'm really happy with my Michelin LT2's from Costco on my Tacoma. I get decent traction on gravel/rock type roads where I hunt and not much road noise.

Are you folks using a more "aggressive" tire?

Geno

PS, I saw someone mentioned a Michelin Defender. I'm not familiar with those. Guess I'll have to look them up.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Geno,

I know it's not quite fair to compare my 2009 CRV to my 2016 Suburu Forrester, but I much prefer the Forrester.

Pm me if you wanna chat.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would attribute the road noise in our 2006 to poor sound insulation. We didn't have the AWD and ran only high mileage type tires. To me it didn't seem limited to the rear, I could hear it easily from the front passenger seat coming from below.
After two 900 mile road trips I told the wife no more.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My wife has an '05 that we bought used, it now has 180K on it and she loves it as a commuter car. Me not so much as I have a Pilot and find the CRV seats to be hard and not comfortable for long drives. But hey as long as she is happy I'm fine with it. On the plus side it has always been good reliable transportation. Her sister just purchased an '012 with about 30K on it, the newer ones are pretty nice though I've not yet ridden in it.

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
140k on Momma's 2003 we purchased new. Starter motor, battery and clutch master/slave cylinders are the only things I've replaced besides regular maintenance and a headlight wire harness recall. As others have stated, road noise at freeway speeds is noticeable. We had it fully undercoated before we drove it off the lot. New Michelin rubber also mitigated it some. We'll likely get another down the road....

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
We are on our third. First was a 97 that we got rid of with 220K. No major issues. Second was an 04 with a manual transmission that we gave to our son with 200K. He used it as a smelt shack, 4 wheeler, and back and forth to school car. Ended up getting t-boned when a woman ran a red light. Car had just under 300K on it and no major issues.

[Linked Image]

My wife now has a 2010. Nice vehicle but I wonder if it is going to be as reliable as the older ones. We have had no issues at all (76K) but it seems "cheaper" to me.

Last edited by JDK; 04/25/16.
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The CRV is the only vehicle I know of that was marketed directly to woman....CRV EX = CERVIX wink

Dave

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Wife has one since 2014. Bought it cause of reputation and also cargo area let me fit two dog kennels in it with our hunting gear. Been a great vehicle in the snow and on the highway.

I drive an Xterra and once it goes I am thinking about taking the CRV and getting her a new car, IF I can get over having leather seats in a hunting vehicle, and IF it can tow my 1200# boat without damaging the drivetrain or motor!

R
Raeford Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Ok
I used to be 6'4" but am down to 6'3" as I age. It's been a while since I've been in my brothers CRV so maybe I forgot the size deal. I have to do something[gonna give my wife my Mazda3 commuter and get rid of her POS Sebring] and like the thought of a little cargo space and Honda reliability. But from reading the posts I'm thinking I'm a bit tall for one. Gonna go find one on a local lot and drive tonight.

FJB & FJT
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The newer ones (2015 at least) are better on the road noise.

We've had two, loved them, son now has one. We are a Honda family except for my tacoma cause honda doesn't have a pickup that isn't butt ugle.

Will be getting 2015 or 2016 CRV in the coming month for my wife.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Valsdad

OK guys, the high road noise comments concern tire noise or driveline stuff? Tires are an easy enough fix. Driveline noise, not so much. Where do you think it's coming from.

I see Jim in ID states tires are part of the problem. Anyone else got a comment about the "road noise"?

Thinking of one of these, Toyota RAV4, or Subaru Forester for our next vehicle (for the wife and dogs).

Thanks,

Geno

It's tire noise. My wife's AWD Element (the thing that looks like a midget bread truck) likes rib tires. Mud and snows aren't really needed, the AWD is flat outstanding. Super reliable vehicle. Hauls dead deer home and cleans up easy.

Not so good to hit Bambi with though. I hit my one and only deer a few years back doing 40 or so and it did $6000+ worth of damage. The good part is that it snapped her neck clean and didn't ruin any meat. Not a speck.

I used it to pull a drunk woman in a Ford extended cab out of a swamp with some mule tape. Her husband refused to believe his truck got pulled out by a Honda with a piece of thread, cost him his man card when it walked the Ford out and didn't even spin the wheels on the ice.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks all for the input regarding road noise, tires, insulation etc.

If we do ever look at one, I'm gonna have to take it out on the highway to listen. Some noise it one thing, but when so many notice it there must be something going on.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
After all the good talk, had to take it in for an alternator. Shop manual says 2.3 hours and the reman Honda ones aren't cheap. Would have done myself, but damn, if a pro takes 2.3 hours, might take my 4-6. Paying $291 to have someone else do it right is hard on a cheap guy, but might keep the wifey happy!

Keep Smiling
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The days of cheap auto repairs are gone. In general, Hondas are not real easy to work on, and the only way to do it is Hondas way. Factory manuals are a must have.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
650 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,649 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,603
Posts18,398,309
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.