Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fubarski
MAYBE, JUST MAYBE:

- You loosen the two set screws on the top.

- Then, you rotate either the entire circle, or the "handle" until you've zeroed elev @ 100m.

- The reticle will probably not remain centered, because they move for elevation changes, but that's OK.

- retighten the two set screws on top.

- When you're "on" @ 100m, loosen the set screw and set the ranging dial to the proper spot, then retighten the set screw on the side.

MAYBE

I was pondering the pics while you was typing.
This makes sense.

Damn cool rig, Greg.
I hope ya figure it out.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks for all the Skookum input,....I'm going to post whatever solutions or rejections of practical solutions materialize.

A rare day under a cooler in the shop closes, and I have to get back to farming.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
FWIW I have a similar but not identical scope. These scopes were designed to be installed in hand-fitted mounts, aligned at the factory or by an armourer, rather than being easily adjusted by the user as we'd now expect. They have no provision for internal windage adjustment, which was instead set by two opposing screws in the rear base (and then intended to be left alone).

What is on the top is an outer ring for elevation and an inner dial for focus, together with that screw at the rear to lock the elevation. What you do is zero for elevation at, say, 100 metres, using the outer ring to adjust elevation (and ignoring what range is shown for the moment). You then loosen the screws in the inner dial (there should be three, but I can only see two in your photos) and move the outer ring until the 100 mark lines up with the arrow, then tighten the three screws again. Shoot a group to confirm and you are good to go.

If the result is that the tip of the post is nowhere near the centre of the field of view, you may want to do something about the mount, but I wouldn't do that solely based on boresighting. The actual POI may vary according to such things as barrel harmonics with the load you use, for example. In fact you may find it worthwhile to try different loads to tweak the outcome if your first choice doesn't give the result you want.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by dan_oz
FWIW I have a similar but not identical scope. These scopes were designed to be installed in hand-fitted mounts, aligned at the factory or by an armourer, rather than being easily adjusted by the user as we'd now expect. They have no provision for internal windage adjustment, which was instead set by two opposing screws in the rear base (and then intended to be left alone).

What is on the top is an outer ring for elevation and an inner dial for focus, together with that screw at the rear to lock the elevation. What you do is zero for elevation at, say, 100 metres, using the outer ring to adjust elevation (and ignoring what range is shown for the moment). You then loosen the screws in the inner dial (there should be three, but I can only see two in your photos) and move the outer ring until the 100 mark lines up with the arrow, then tighten the three screws again. Shoot a group to confirm and you are good to go.

If the result is that the tip of the post is nowhere near the centre of the field of view, you may want to do something about the mount, but I wouldn't do that solely based on boresighting. The actual POI may vary according to such things as barrel harmonics with the load you use, for example. In fact you may find it worthwhile to try different loads to tweak the outcome if your first choice doesn't give the result you want.

Good input, and I thank you, Sir.
I understand the absolute and never ignored dictum that a rifle should be test fired, prior to making any calls on "final zero", and that harmonics and load data play a large part in results garnered.
At this point, though, "sight picture" versus where the barrel actually boresights indicate some seriously divergent angles of elevation.
At this point it certainly looks as though the mounts are going to have to get some sort of major tweak, prior to applying the procedure you have most graciously provided.

Greg

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Does the scope tube look like it is out of alignment with the bore? I would spin the scope upside down and bore sight again to see if the mounts or scope internals are off. Wondering if someone could have cranked the range adjustment past 1000 meters, 1400 or so meters might throw things off by your "1/4 inch". Just wondering out loud, good luck dialing in that setup.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As you can see, I have one that is very similar

[Linked Image]

Mine came on a sort of custom .243 built on a Mexican Mauser action that I bought about 35 years ago. The mounts fit Leupold/Redfield bases and the only windage adjustment is in the mounts. The "turret" dial takes care of elevation, while the focus is adjusted with the little ring on the barrel in front of the ocular bell. I would guess that you are looking at having to fabricate a set of windage adjustable mounts that will work with the range of elevation adjustment that you have in the scope.

I no longer use this scope--it's basically a collector's item, but it did work as advertised when it came off the rifle.

Last edited by mudhen; 05/20/16.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Red Star Mountain makes a reproduction of that mount and says to go to their facebook page for tech help.

http://www.rsmscope.com/index.php/g...unt-with-split-rings-26-5mm-no-1008.html

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 86thecat
Red Star Mountain makes a reproduction of that mount and says to go to their facebook page for tech help.

http://www.rsmscope.com/index.php/g...unt-with-split-rings-26-5mm-no-1008.html

Perzackly what I have here, but those look a LOT rougher, in terms of machine finish.

Mike Venturino rode in to the rescue, this AM ( THANKS DUKE !)

....ya' know I'd READ this article, way back when, and it obviously didn't stick, (CRS can be a real Betch, No ?)

Link: http://gunsmagazine.com/5-german-sniper-systems/

The scope is INDEED very parallel to the bore axis, as encountered and mounted,....I had to LEVEL / CENTER the mounts, ...and that accomplished, the windage screws brought the reticle sight picture right spang into windage parody with the irons and the boresight.

Thank you everybody for the great dialogue,....when time allows, the old Mauser will be coming over for another visit, and I'll be seeing if something isn't dicked up in the internals. The FILE MARKS on the elevation ring retaining plate screws lead me to believe that somebody got in there and farged something up.

Semper Coonass,

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 05/20/16.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

622 members (163bc, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,667 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,315
Posts18,449,232
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.