Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"placed my orange tag on the outside of the case (had one agent force me to place it in the case with the firearm)"
Sac: Why would you want a blaze orange firearms tag on the outside of your firearms case? Cases will not be labeled as containing firearms. That practice was outlawed almost 10 years ago. Federal law now states: "No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm." [18 USC Sec. 922(e)] TSA will warn any airline that is marking cases that it is in violation of the law.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by bobmn
"placed my orange tag on the outside of the case (had one agent force me to place it in the case with the firearm)"
Sac: Why would you want a blaze orange firearms tag on the outside of your firearms case? Cases will not be labeled as containing firearms. That practice was outlawed almost 10 years ago. Federal law now states: "No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm." [18 USC Sec. 922(e)] TSA will warn any airline that is marking cases that it is in violation of the law.

OP is asking about flying with a sidearm. I responded in kind, about flying with a sidearm

If you would read the rest of my post, you will see that the case was then placed inside my luggage. And it was locked to the framework of my luggage. So there was no blaze orange "Steal Me" tag on the outside of my luggage.

Montana MOFO
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It's been several years, but none of the times that I've flown with a firearm, sidearm or long gun, have they had me put the orange "steal me" tag on the outside of the case. It's ALWAYS been on the inside. That's at both Baltimore and Jackson Hole.

We always think flying with a firearm is going to be a big deal, but the truth is the ticket agents and the TSA see this stuff everyday. They may not know what the company policy is but it really isn't that big a deal for them. Be flexible about it, unless they're asking for something REALLY stupid. Give yourself plenty of time at the airport for check in and security and you'll be fine.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
how do you declare a handgun at the airport?

if a Marine:

"This is my gun, there are many like it, but this one is mine..."

grin

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So, do y'all keep the handgun case in a suitcase when approaching the counter and tell them you are declaring a gun or do you carry the handgun case outside the suitcase and then put it in after receiving the declaration card?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'd keep it in the suitcase till I got to the counter.

Stupidity is expensive
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Someone lets the cat out of the bag. You get to where you are going and there is no firearm. Do you get insurance to cover your firearm or luggage?

I have coverage with my homeowners policy that covers any possessions in transit or at any temporary domicile. Your Ins co. probably covers you as well. Give them a call and ask?

This has been an informative and educational thread. I don't fly as much as I used to. On the couple of occasions that I have traveled with a handgun I used the tsa locks. Had no issues as of yet, but I can recognize a better way when I see it.

Flying later today for a funeral. Thanks...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Alaska Airlines:

All firearms must be unloaded and carried in a locked, hard-sided container where only the customer retains the key or combination.

That said I agree with Ace in that the 'should' part of it isn't a MUST.

That said, it's obvious the intent and if someone WANTS to use TSA locks, more power to them. It's also obvious from the above from Alaska Airlines, that they don't want you using TSA locks either.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I've flown with firearms a dozen or more times always on Alaska airlines and have had a total of zero problems or headaches. I recommend using TSA locks or you could be forced to go back to the baggage checkin and unlock it for inspection.

I've never and never will use a TSA lock on a gun case. I"ve never been called back, but would go quickly rather than risk someone else being able to open em...

Whats amazing, you land in anchorage and they require your ID and then hand you the case..

Land in anti gun austin coming home the case is laying ont he floor for anyone to grab over in the oversize luggage area when I finally figured it all out....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
I'd keep it in the suitcase till I got to the counter.

I keep mine locked in the gun case. I unlock the case for TSA if they want to see, but I go in locked, and unlock it to put the card in and then lock it again. Means I need the access keys pretty handy...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Don't do like the guy in Boise some years ago. He was demonstrating that his gun was unloaded and shot a hole in the baggage scale.

We gun owners are our own worst enemies, aren't we?? eek
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't understand your response Rost495
question:
So, do y'all keep the handgun case in a suitcase when approaching the counter and tell them you are declaring a gun or do you carry the handgun case outside the suitcase and then put it in after receiving the declaration card?

Answer:I'd keep it in the suitcase till I got to the counter.

Last edited by Snake River Marksman; 07/20/16.

Stupidity is expensive
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you have to travel with the gun this time but you decide ti's too much hassle to ever do it again, just walk into the airport and say in a loud voice: "I've got a gun and I'm not going to take it anymore!"

You might also want to reassure them that you are a man of faith by adding ; "Alahu Akbar!"

Have an exciting trip!

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
I don't understand your response Rost495
question:

Answer:I'd keep it in the suitcase till I got to the counter.

You are right, in a hurry I didn't read that well.

Regardless i'd keep it in the gun case,and in hte suitcase, open it to put the tag in the case, and take it to TSA and then lock it after they are done again.
You have to communicate with TSA though, he its unlocked, after you are done, I need to lock it again...sometimes they ain't to swift...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Got it.

Stupidity is expensive
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I just try to keep it as non accessible as I can, regardless the fact I can walk in as a concealed carry guy legally.

The more I show the folks that don't have a clue, that I couldn't get to it, use it very easily, the more relaxed folks seem to be.

Although I give AK air credit, they are as relaxed about guns, game meat, fish etc... as anyone I"ve ever flown with.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I think it's a blast to see all the folks open carrying in the airport during hunting season. Mostly guides and outfitters just in from camp dropping off hunters. Hardly anybody looks twice so long as they don't approach the departures checkpoint too closely.

Stupidity is expensive
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

647 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,362 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,621
Posts18,455,093
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.