Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I don't know about that, I was just thinking out loud about why the difference for Dennis' purposes.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
I have killed a lot of animals with pac-nor.
I have killed a lot of animals with Shilen, Lothar Walther, Krieger, original Ruger, and original Browning.

I think all barrels are priced at just about what they are worth. I am buying so many Shilen stainless select match #3 taper, because I can get a wholesale break.

Everyone else hears "amateur gunsmith building his own rifles" and says, "you are a retail customer".

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Sent you a pm longdog.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
my most accurate rifle is a Pac Nor Barrel reject.. before he got big and famous, he was just a local guy trying to get into gunsmithing.. he'd worked for PacNor over in Brookings..

but John Noveske, sold me a 6mm Stainless Barrel, threaded it and chambered it in 6mm Rem on a Rem 700 LA, recommended an 11 degree crown....1 in 7 twist... all for $75!

He was up front that it was a Pac Nor Reject....

Got multiple barrels on rifles, that were Pac Nor "Rejects", that I got from Noveske and him doing the work on them, each are among the most accurate rifles I have.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman
I believe Dennis fits and chambers his own barrels.

Yes, Dennis does all of his own work on his lathe.

Cut's to length, reams out the chamber, and crowns the barrel.

He's done a few for me. Can't thank him enough for all of his help over the last 6-7 years.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Pacnor $325

Krieger $325

Why pacnor?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
For me, three reasons:

1) Never had a problem with a P-N barrel but have with Krieger. And I do realize that some can say the exact opposite.

2) Turnkey re-barreling. And coating now too.

3) Barrel contours. I don't believe Kreiger is as flexible especially with lightweight contours.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Pacnor $325

Krieger $325

Why pacnor?

Why Krieger?

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by smokepole
For me, three reasons:

1) Never had a problem with a P-N barrel but have with Krieger. And I do realize that some can say the exact opposite.

2) Turnkey re-barreling. And coating now too.

3) Barrel contours. I don't believe Kreiger is as flexible especially with lightweight contours.

And from what I've seen the same thing can be said about most any pair of barrel makers you name.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do not have a bore scope, but I do put a fiber optic up the bore and I can see the bore at the point of focus of my magnifier, as well as a bore scope... but just at that one cross section.

I have lots of Pac Nor barrels
They make good ones and so-so ones, depending on which barrel.

I have lots of Shilen barrels
They make good ones and so-so ones, depending on which barrel.

I have lots of Krieger barrels.
They are all good. I have yet to look inside a Krieger that was not mirror polished down in the grooves.

Why am I buying Shilen barrels?
Because I can get the select match Shilens [good as the best pac nor or as good as any Kriger] at a discount.

I have to order 6 months in advance.

[Linked Image]
Some sucker paid $450 to get this Krieger threaded and chambered and engraved, and painted in 300WinMag.
The muzzle was threaded wrong.
Muzzles should be 1/2-28 or 5/8-24.
This one was 1/2-24.
The barrel for $103 off Ebay. I cut off the muzzle, cut Mosin threads, put it on a Mosin Nagant and shot a buck in Oct 2015

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (12344mag, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 257 mag, 2003and2013, 66 invisible), 2,503 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,200
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.