Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
BLG Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
In what high school are the kids allowed to take ANY elective they want just to improve their GPA. There are electives, but no student gets carte blanche to just make their own schedule. Honors/advanced classes should be weighted more. Competition is healty.

This article makes no sense to me. My son is in private school, so maybe I'm missing a big piece of the puzzle. He is mandated certain classes per the curiculum. He is allowed 1 elective in each of his sophomore, junior, and senior years. Just 1 each year. That may boost his grade some, but the more heavily weighted classes should trump any elective.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This situation and discussion bring out some interesting issues. Over the years, I have witnessed significant differences between those students who aspire to be "learners" as compared with those primarily driven to be "achievers".

Those who are deeper and sufficiently mature enough to realize that knowledge/wisdom/great skills are the highest goals of learning will seek the classes and teachers that are most likely to help them in their quest. Those students basically are in competetion with themselves and the world of learning. They seek the challenges.

At the other end of the spectrum of bright students are the ones who tend to rate themselves in comparison to the acomplishments of others and need the "marks" and the "noted achievements" for gratification. These are a different breed than those above, and quite often they will seek the easier course/teacher grading in their quest. With these students, a lot of contention can arise when the grades and "honors" are awarded.

At times the roles and vicarious experiences of parents come into play, sometimes to silly excess, and can push toward extremes. It seems sad when that factor is overbearing with regard to grades and "honors".

Of course, many good students are working between the extremes and experience varying degrees of personal outcomes and benefits. I most enjoy the students who are serious learners focused on their own development but who also have the competetive drive to give the "achievers" a good run for the medals.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by mikeymjr23
I get so tired of people wanting to get accolades just for taking their morning turd.

We all do it, but I've never seen a trophy for it.

Obviously you haven't visited my bathroom. There's a trophy in the bowl every morning.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Not HS, but graduating from college a friend of mine shared outstanding graduate honors with another student. Both of them had a 4.0 GPA, both were Honors Program graduates, et cetera. My friend majored in computer engineering, the other guy in history.

Would you 'fire members rank them the same?

RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
Not HS, but graduating from college a friend of mine shared outstanding graduate honors with another student. Both of them had a 4.0 GPA, both were Honors Program graduates, et cetera. My friend majored in computer engineering, the other guy in history.

Would you 'fire members rank them the same?

Depends.

Were either of them democrats?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
mathman - interesting question and situation, but I wouldn't begin to try to do ranking simply on the basis of the info there.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 160user, 12344mag, 1234, 53 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,635
Posts18,455,246
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.