Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
This story got to me. cry

What a way to go

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Steel true, blade straight. -Sir ACD

RIP soldier

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Good story.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Saw that in the paper this morning. Rest in piece, soldier brave.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
What a story.

My father in law is almost 95 and also served as a radio operator/gunner on a B-17 stationed in Deanthrope UK. He lives in Bluffton SC and we have taken him several times to the Mighty 8th Air Force museum near Savannah GA. On one trip, my F-I-L was standing near the model of the Deanthorpe base that they have on display and a young English man approached him and asked if he was stationed there. He answered in the affirmative, and the young man said that his family lived near there and thanked him for his service. They had a nice chat. He also got a round of applause from a school group that was attending the museum. If you are ever going down 95 near Savannah, stop into that museum. It's very nice and has a B-17 that is being restored.

In a couple weeks we are going down to visit him on his 95th birthday. Both he and my 89 yr old father (who served in the Army infantry) have learned that wearing their WWII veterans hats sometimes gets them a free lunch from a patron or the mgt at a restaurant. They love that.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for posting this - a fine story. Old brave fighters of that stripe deserve all of the good anyone can shower on them.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
“Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few”..... Winston Churchill

I'm not sure any truer words have ever been spoken.

Thank you, rest in peace great warrior.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A great uncle was a B-24 pilot, perhaps out of the same bases in England. He would have approved.

Salute, Sir. Rest easy now.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by cooper57m
What a story.

My father in law is almost 95 and also served as a radio operator/gunner on a B-17 stationed in Deanthrope UK. He lives in Bluffton SC and we have taken him several times to the Mighty 8th Air Force museum near Savannah GA. On one trip, my F-I-L was standing near the model of the Deanthorpe base that they have on display and a young English man approached him and asked if he was stationed there. He answered in the affirmative, and the young man said that his family lived near there and thanked him for his service. They had a nice chat. He also got a round of applause from a school group that was attending the museum. If you are ever going down 95 near Savannah, stop into that museum. It's very nice and has a B-17 that is being restored.

In a couple weeks we are going down to visit him on his 95th birthday. Both he and my 89 yr old father (who served in the Army infantry) have learned that wearing their WWII veterans hats sometimes gets them a free lunch from a patron or the mgt at a restaurant. They love that.

Go by there often....going to pull in the next time I pass by. My dad fought in the Battle of the Bulge and always wanted to travel back to the Ardennes, etc. Sadly, Alzheimer's prevented him from doing so.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
93 members (257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 16 invisible), 1,665 guests, and 647 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,741
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.