Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Arns9 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Sierra says the BTHP is a tougher bullet. For those with experience with both, how much difference have you noticed on game? Thanks in advance for the replies.

Only a fool would sell an accurate .30-06
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've shot the 165 BTHP end to end on a deer that was about 140 lbs. This was out of a .308 at about 50 yards.

Never have recovered one, but the vast majority of the shots have been through the lungs and out the other side, not a real challenging task on the smaller deer we gave in VA.

A friend also shot one end-to-end through a deer with an '06 and the 165 grain bullet. His deer was heavier than the one I shot, and MV is a little higher than with my .308.

One bullet that did not make it through was a 40 yard shot using a 300 WinMag, MV of 3150 fps. It blew up on the shoulder. That was an extreme test for the bullet, but the deer died anyway. Right there, like it was struck by lightning. This was also the 165 grain version.

I'm thinking they work good if you keep impact velocity under 2900 fps.

They are very accurate out of any of the rifles I've tried them in, but don't have the best of BC, so if you shoot any distance with them, you're gonna have to be on top of your wind and range estimate. But they work good for me.

I've not tried the Gameking, and have found the Pro-Hunter to be a little on the soft side, too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shot a doe in the shoulder with a 165 grain game King. It was shot from a 30-06. The bullet blew up the should but didn't enter the rib cage. The doe was limping off and I had to shoot it again.
If there's a tougher bullet use it. As it is Sierra bullets are now used for prairie dogs and paper targets. I will never use Sierra bullets on game again!

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Wife shot a 150 Btsp from her 270 through a nice black bear diagonally a few years back, no signs of breakup and the bear only made it 20yds or so.

Have used the Bthp 165gr version on some caribou and have had satisfactory results out of an 06.

I rather like both of them for soft critters at moderate ranges and velocities.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have shot both in the 222. The sierra match king has a much tougher jacket than the game king. I shot several deer with the match king that exited deer leaving a very small hole. They simply didn't open up much. I switched to the game king bullet. They have expanded very well. Have shot many deer with them, and they do the damage you would expect a hollow point to do. I really like them. I have a friend who was using 30 cal match kings in a 308 for killing coyotes. He quit using them because he was pin holing the coyotes. The bul!ets wouldnt open up,and the coyote would run a coup!e hundred yds beforepiling up.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I believe the OP is asking about the difference between the HPBT GAMEKINGS and the SPBT GAMEKINGS. Not Matchkings.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have used the 165gr bthp in 30-06 with great results

Arns9 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by southtexas
I believe the OP is asking about the difference between the HPBT GAMEKINGS and the SPBT GAMEKINGS. Not Matchkings.

Yes, this is correct. I've used the GameKing spitzers with much success but haven't used the hollow point GameKings and was wondering about the difference in how they perform on game.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 7mm 160gr GKHP work well. I prefer the HP because you get no exposed lead distortion on recoil in the magazine. Consistent BC

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a friend that absolutely swears by the Sierra BTHP out of his .264 WM

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
No bullet recoveries, so I can't say what they looked like after traversing deer and hogs from a few different angles and traversing from shoulder to shoulder to nearly end to end. I, or family/friends, have taken a number of deer and hogs with one or the other. Ranges from less than 40 yards to about 80 yards. Quick result each time. No trouble, no failures, no tracking jobs.

In each case the exit was slightly larger than the entry and the internal damage was plenty, but not excessive. Also in each case, velocity was in the mid-high 2000's. Very few of my hunting loads are at or near max. Most are in the middle to just beyond middle of the charge range.

A few examples:
My younger son shot a 153 lb buck with the .243 85 gn BTHP. Entry was high chest by the left shoulder and exit was through the hindmost ribs on the right side. The deer somersaulted backward, rolled back to rubber legs, went 20 yards in a circle, and dropped.
My older son shot an average doe, also quartering, with the .308 BTSP. Similar result. Drunk monkey run for 30+- yards and down.
A hunting partner shot a nasty big boar through the shoulder with the .308 BTSP. Exit was just behind the opposite shoulder. The hog never took a step.

If Sierra says the BTHP is tougher, then so be it. I have no reason to doubt them and I'd use it.

Last edited by FLNative; 05/30/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sierra probably knows what they're talking about but I've used both bullets and haven't noticed any difference in performance on whitetails. I've used both bullets quite a bit from the .308 & .30-06. I have no complaints with either though the supposedly tougher HPBT (165 gr.) left its jacket on the inside of the rib cage of a modest sized doe I shot a few years ago. The lead core exited and punched a 1" exit hole. I've also used the 85 gr. HPBT in the .243 without complaint. Hit deer through the slats and it's a goner.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Arns9 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all the replies. I'm considering trying the 7mm 160 in a 7 mag for use on deer and hogs. Obviously it'll kill, but since I usually shoot deer behind the shoulder and hogs on the shoulder I'm looking for somewhat of a compromise bullet without the premium bullet cost.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hornady Interlock?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Me too.

What fresh Hell is this?
Arns9 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MOGC
Hornady Interlock?

The 154 and 162 are both on my radar as well smile

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Bugger
I shot a doe in the shoulder with a 165 grain game King. It was shot from a 30-06. The bullet blew up the should but didn't enter the rib cage. The doe was limping off and I had to shoot it again.
If there's a tougher bullet use it. As it is Sierra bullets are now used for prairie dogs and paper targets. I will never use Sierra bullets on game again!

And to show how quirky, a buddy was shooting exact same from his gun, my reloads. Hit a rib going in, a rib going out, through both lungs. And we found a tiny piece of lung on the ground.

Never expanded and never killed the buck.

We know that because it was killed 3 weeks later, shot in the neck so we could see, hole in a rib each side, no expansion, and a bit of scar tissue formed in both lungs already....

although I've never had a bad result from the SMKs, I know others claim to have. I trust the SMKs more than teh game kings.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495
[quote=Bugger]
although I've never had a bad result from the SMKs, I know others claim to have. I trust the SMKs more than teh game kings.

Now that's just crazy talk

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If you can get past the poor bc, the HPBT usually shoot well and hold up

Double_D
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Originally Posted by rost495
[quote=Bugger]

Now that's just crazy talk

Crazy, but its what I"ve seen.

But mostly the advent of Barnes solved that for me. Between them and Berger, I don't much worry anymore...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

211 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 1_deuce, 280shooter, 204guy, 33 invisible), 1,927 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,161
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.