Print Thread
Hop To
T
tmitch Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Found a gem (to me at least) in the Cabelas sale rack. A Marlin 1893 .32-40 circa 1900 with the right combination of configuration/caliber/condition/price. I've casually searched for this rifle for years to replicate my Great Grandfathers deer rifle that's been passed around the family for generations (before disappearing with a cousin). My older brother was fortunate enough to take his first deer with that rifle but I was never able to get my mitts on it. This one hasn't been messed with and is all correct except possibly the front sight which is a Lyman bead. The screws are unturned and the slots are filled with old dried grease as is the nooks and crannies of the metal. The interior of the action however is free of gunk and operates crisply. The bore, while not mirror bright, is free from pitting and the rifling sharp. The stock has 116 years of bumps and bangs but no cracks and is proud of the metal. Can't wait to put a few rounds through it but ammo is hard to come by. I do have some HSM cowboy ammo on order but it's back-ordered till the end of the month. How 'bout you guys, ever try to duplicate an ancestors gun?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Nice to find a 116 year old rifle that has been taken care of.......nice grab from Cabelas.

Doc

T
tmitch Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
It was nice to find one that was well used but not abused and that someone didn't feel the need to take apart with a jack knife! In that regard, this rifle doesn't replicate my great-grandfathers. During his tenure, its barrel was shortened with a hacksaw and the stock broken when he he drove off with it propped between the bumper and body of his Model A. I'm torn whether or not to "detail" clean it or just give it a good wipe down and let mellow in peace.
I felt it was a good buy when Cabelas dropped the price by almost 50%, and I paid for it with gift cards that I bought for 20% less than face value. I just sent off a check for 40 rounds of John Wayne "Duke" commemorative ammo that was priced right because the fancy box sleeves are missing. I'm hoping to ventilate a deer this fall with one of them.

Charter Member

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I did a similar thing. My father always hunted with a 38-40. Unfortunately I did not get it when he passed. A few years ago, I found one in the back of a closet belonging to a neighbor that was moving out and selling a bunch of old rifles. It was 1906 production. and matches my 1906 SAA Colt in 38-40.

However,the stock was cracked, the barrel was terrible.I had the barrel relined by a smith up in Washington state,carved a new stock and forearm and had to replace the sights so they are not original. It's a shooter though.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
tmitch Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Pretty cool SS. You do a nice job of carving stocks.

Charter Member

szihn

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice 1893, tmitch. Think they're prettiest in just that condition shown. Have a similar 1893 in 30-30, perhaps my favorite. To me, the balance is so distinctive, takes a guy back in time. Hope you enjoy yours.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

T
tmitch Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Well I finally got the "Duke" 165gr jacketed ammo and the time to touch off a couple rounds to see if it worked. I fired one round offhand at about 20 yards to see if the sights were even close. I'd say it was a good omen!
[Linked Image]

Then I backed off to about 80 yards and sitting, elbows on knees, fired 3 for effect. Not too bad considering I couldn't really see the 1" orange square over the blurry front sight. I could see the black line and held where I thought it ended. I'm pretty happy with the results, a couple notches up on the elevator and it should be good to go. Of course much more shooting is in order!
[Linked Image]

Charter Member

szihn

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

141 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 13 invisible), 1,458 guests, and 828 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,577
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.