-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You obviously got waaaay deeper into it that I ever did. I never got to the level of shooting at Cody with ole SPG and the boys, but I did try his lube in my BPCR shooting and I did go through the gun museum at Cody. SPG lube had a lot of bee's wax in it and I have a friend that keeps bees and got a bunch of wax from him for free. Tried my hand at making Emmert's lube, but because of the low melting point of the original formula Emmert's, had to increase the amount of bees wax. Now I make my own bullet lube because SPG lube is expensive for those who shoot many big bullets.

At first I used two lyman sizer/lubbers to keep my BPCR bullet lube in one and my smokeless powder bullet lube in the other because it is true that petroleum based lubes do leave more hard residue in the barrel when shooting black powder. But then I ran out of alox and bees wax lube for my smokeless powder loads and used my Emmert's formula on a batch of bullets fired with smokeless powder and it did as well as the alox/bees wax lube I had been buying. So now I use my home made lube for everything, but still subscribe to SPG's Black Powder Cartridge News magazine even though I don't shoot BPCR anymore.

Blow tubes, hot summer temps, long distances between matches, barrel cleaning after every five rounds, heavy recoil, too may required rounds that left my head hurting, and eye cataracts just got to be too dam much fun for a nickel. But I do miss being around those kinds of people. I think they are some of the most knowledgeable shooters out there even if they do shoot the holy black powder. They were about to drum me out of the brotherhood anyway because near the end, I got tired of the blow tubes and the cleaning and started duplexing my loads, which as you know, the Black powder fraternity takes a very dim view.

I was always impressed with the leadership that SPG provided. He was on the right track by going to the 38 bores which were not as consistent in taking down the rams, but they didn't leave you with a headache at the end of the match either. In those days, I shot a 45-70 Shiloh Sharps, a 40-65 Browning BPCR, and an original Stevens 44 1/2 action with a Douglas barrel chambered for 38-55. As my eye cataracts got worse, I put a Unertl 10 power scope on the 38-55, but finally got to the point where I just couldn't see well enough for that game anymore. I sure do miss it and all the neat people who were in it. I still keep up with some of the boys over at the ASSRA web site. They are a dang cool bunch. No cooler that you boys are around here, but they are better looking.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
grin

Ya know them cataracts can be fixed. Did that myself over the last few years.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Originally Posted by Yondering
Some guys just want to hang on to yesterday, and resist any further improvements that come along.

Negatory on that condescending remark. I am perfectly happy to embrace inprovements and have. However, I feel no need to change simply for change's sake when I see no improvement.

Don

NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

Take me back baby and I will change my wicked ways
Aw baby, just gimmie a chance to change

E7 A7 B7

Last edited by BobWills; 06/20/16.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dude, you miss a chord and that there Bullseye might getcha! laugh

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yep, and there is 16 pounds of it on that shelf. Ah pistol shooter needs a lotta Bullseye. Ya can never tell when one of Obama's brother Muslim's might come around wanting to join Allah and collect his 72 virgins and I wanna be able to help him on his journey. We Americans need to be sensitive to their cultural needs ya know cause diversity is ah good thing so we have been told. The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) says that if we do anything less, it would be discrimination don'tcha know and we wouldn't wanna be guilty of that now would we?

Let me see now, seems like I recall that they say something like this here: Any action or inaction that has a disproportionate impact on any person or group covered under Title 7 of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as amended is prima fascie evidence of intent to violate the law.

And I would never wanna violate that law. Nosiree buddy!!! But ahhhhhh, does it count when Muslim's just wanna kill everybody who ain't ah Muslim, or does the law make an exception for them? I have always wondered about that.

But I'm justa dumb assed red neck so I also wonder if anyone can explain how a Muslim terrorist can kill 50 homosexuals but Liberals still defend the religion of Islam which says homosexuals must be killed, or defend the practice of homosexuality in the first place, but a Christian baker can refuse to bake a cake for a homosexual and there is a country wide cry that Christianity is the problem? Is there an explanation for why liberals say that the muslim terrorist who killed 50 people in Orlando is not representative of all Muslims, but he and the gun he used is representative of all gun owners?

Yeah, I tell ya, it'sa real pain being a dumb assed red neck who just does not understand these kinds of complicated issues. I probably need some pointy headed TV type to explain it all to me. Where is Dan Blather when we need him? grin grin

Last edited by BobWills; 06/20/16.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yer over thinking this. Soft cast is a good muzzy antidote I've heard, better than knives even. Screw the Geneva Accords......

I am..........disturbed.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Some good thoughts here.. And shared by many!!

Molon Labe
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (Akhutr, 10Glocks, batch, BB3, 10gaugemag, 13 invisible), 1,532 guests, and 855 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,226
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.