Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Brine and not being scared of pink pork goes a long way. I love pork loin.

Leg of lamb marinated with garlic, Rosemary, OO, S&P, little vinegar, some Dijon.....Grill up some fresh flat bread dough.

English cukes, garlic, dill, yogurt and sour cream for a great tzatziki. A fresh chimichurri.

Fresh green onions on the hot grill.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
GB2

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
L
Veggie and meat kabobs

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Chick-kabobs.

Skinless, boneless chicken breasts cut into 1-1/2" to 2" cubes and soaked in italian salad dressing in a zip bag for a few hours.

Put 2 water-soaked bamboo skewers through the pieces. Use the skewers in pairs so the kabobs can be flipped without the meat chunks rolling on the stick.

We used stainless skewers here and some onion chunks.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by ironbender; 06/27/16. Reason: pic

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
In prep for the 4th, picked up a pork shoulder today, 8 pounder...a steal at .99 per lb. Just ordered a fresh batch of BBQ rub for the occasion.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
whole pork loin

Mine tend to go "dry" even when pulled at 135. Love whole loins but not one of my greatest success stories.

Care to share a technique ?

Pull at 125. Even as low as 115 if going to rest in a Cambro or Ice chest. You can't burn them on the way, but we're talking about 45 to an hour and 15 to get cooked. I pulled last weeks benchrest loins at 120 and put into aluminum steamer pans, foil wrapped, and rested for 15-20 minutes. If it is commercial pork, don't be afraid of it. 140+ when carved, juicy and white.

Sean,
3lb. loin with no rub or injection as I wanted the meat to speak on its own merits when done.Pulled at 125-127 depending where I poked it after being smoked at 275 for roughly 1:55 with fat side down then placed in small room temp cambro (no pre heat) for 30 minutes. Meat was tender and JUICY when sliced.(YAY!) Actually it was DRIPPING. laugh

Just before placing in cambro I couldn't resist sampling a couple of "test slices" while the loin was still on the smoker grate and the meat actually squirted juices when being cut. DANG !!!!

Amazing how a few degrees can alter the outcome of a cook.

Might want to add that I took the loin out of a 38 degree fridge and put it right on the smoker which accounts for the slightly longer cook time.

Thanks for the help, Sir !!!!!

IC B2

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Close call, but got it in time...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice job Denny! The biggest mistake I see with pork is that most people over cook it. For tenderloins, loins, loin chops or rack of pork anything past 145* isn't fit for the dogs IMO.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Treat a nice thick pork chop like a nice steak, works great.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
rack of pork anything past 145* isn't fit for the dogs IMO.

Mike

Lately I've been smoking whole racks of spares 'cause I'm too lazy to pretty 'em up St. Louis style.

Had some less than spectacular results a couple of times when going by sight/feel.Next time I'll give 'em a good poke with my TW Mini.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Real Italian hot sausage....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
190* - 192* in between the bones is the secret, if you want to temp them that is. Hands down my favorite rib to cook. I've had my new FEC100 sitting in my shop for over a month and need to get it home to start working with it. Hopefully I can make that happen Sunday as I'm judging at a KCBS competition in Whiting, IA tomorrow. Should be the possibility of some good bites as the #1 and #2 KCBS teams in the country are competing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just dawned onto me that we may be talking about two different things Denny. I was talking about a rack of pork roast and you might have taken that as a rack of spare ribs. Maybe I'm wrong, if so, my bad.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FEC100 ?
Hard to deny the pellet grill concept as a good one is truly "set it and forget it"

After 4 years with mine the only downside is that when doing LONG,LONG low and slow cooks the pellets put off quite a bit more smoke at the lower temps than say 300-325 on up and your meat is continuously having smoke applied to it.

I've taken to smoking to the desired flavor profile and finishing over charcoal or even the oven. Foiling is an option as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
and you might have taken that as a rack of spare ribs.

Yes, spares but I'm gonna poke 'em anyway.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FEC100 ?
Hard to deny the pellet grill concept as a good one is truly "set it and forget it"

After 4 years with mine the only downside is that when doing LONG,LONG low and slow cooks the pellets put off quite a bit more smoke at the lower temps than say 300-325 on up and your meat is continuously having smoke applied to it.

I've taken to smoking to the desired flavor profile and finishing over charcoal or even the oven. Foiling is an option as well.

I here you Denny. I struggled with the concept of the pellet smokers for a long time, but after watching and tasting the food that comes off these FEC's at competitions I changed my mind. I'll be able to comment more when I get it into use, but the controller on these things is insane when it comes to regulating smoke levels for different intervals of time. Fact is, from what I've tasted the smoke level is still very low if you are using good pellets and most guys use a smoke enhancer to get more on the meat for flavor and color.

Mike

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
whole pork loin

Mine tend to go "dry" even when pulled at 135. Love whole loins but not one of my greatest success stories.

Care to share a technique ?

Pull at 125. Even as low as 115 if going to rest in a Cambro or Ice chest. You can't burn them on the way, but we're talking about 45 to an hour and 15 to get cooked. I pulled last weeks benchrest loins at 120 and put into aluminum steamer pans, foil wrapped, and rested for 15-20 minutes. If it is commercial pork, don't be afraid of it. 140+ when carved, juicy and white.

Sean,
3lb. loin with no rub or injection as I wanted the meat to speak on its own merits when done.Pulled at 125-127 depending where I poked it after being smoked at 275 for roughly 1:55 with fat side down then placed in small room temp cambro (no pre heat) for 30 minutes. Meat was tender and JUICY when sliced.(YAY!) Actually it was DRIPPING. laugh

Just before placing in cambro I couldn't resist sampling a couple of "test slices" while the loin was still on the smoker grate and the meat actually squirted juices when being cut. DANG !!!!

Amazing how a few degrees can alter the outcome of a cook.

Might want to add that I took the loin out of a 38 degree fridge and put it right on the smoker which accounts for the slightly longer cook time.

Thanks for the help, Sir !!!!!

Glad it worked as planned, Denny. As Mike added, over cooked pork is not fit for dogs.

Sean
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks. I have a small portion of a whole loin to do this week.

Denny, accept a PM or answer your dang phone.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Thanks. I have a small portion of a whole loin to do smile this week.

Denny, accept a PM or answer your dang phone.

Call when convenient for you,Sam. Sorry I was on the phone for quite awhile this morning and our stupid phone system does provide callers with a busy signal when in use.

Received a PM from another member early this AM so I'm thinking it's operational as well.

Fire away my friend !!!!! smile smile

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Think I might do a whole chicken today. Spatchcock that sucker and roast it up!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
700 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 3,049 guests, and 1,411 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,680
Posts18,399,622
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.