Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Bigfish, it makes no difference to me but it seems a good candidate is La Crosse , WIs. It is 100k people. Your name implies you like to fish and the Mississippi River is right there. It is an old river town. The fishing is very good on the Missy too. The deer hunting is good but private land is a big plus, but not a must . You will be close your parents too. If you decide to go north you will be in huge chunks of public land if you like to grouse hunt and grouse hunting is second to none in northwest WIs and Minnesota. It would only be a 3 hour tour to the north woods. Go west a few hundred miles and you can hunt pheasants. Biggest problem is don't live right in La Crosse, stay in a smaller town and if you buy a house watch out for the property taxes, in some areas it is really high.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by johnw
Big Fish,

Take a look at Poplar Bluff, MO. A Pretty little town (15-20,000 people?) at the edge of the Ozarks. A medium sized impoundment nearby with boating and fishing. Right next to some of the prettiest rivers in the ozarks. Tons of public ground nearby in the Mark Twain NF...

2 hours from ST Louis, and 5-6 hours from Savanna.

Now this is funny.....I live in Poplar Bluff and would never recomend anyone move here.

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
How employable are you with a history degree? You might want to check the job scenes first.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tryin' to keep it all for yourself? grin

I have no idea what business opportunities or jobs are available. I do come through there a couple of times most years, and I see pretty country and friendly folks. Spent a fair share of my childhood years on the black river south of there where it turns slow and black...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

If Hookers are your thing, why not TX?

What don't you like about our hookers?

Dave

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ihookem
Bigfish, it makes no difference to me but it seems a good candidate is La Crosse , WIs. It is 100k people. Your name implies you like to fish and the Mississippi River is right there. It is an old river town. The fishing is very good on the Missy too. The deer hunting is good but private land is a big plus, but not a must . You will be close your parents too. If you decide to go north you will be in huge chunks of public land if you like to grouse hunt and grouse hunting is second to none in northwest WIs and Minnesota. It would only be a 3 hour tour to the north woods. Go west a few hundred miles and you can hunt pheasants. Biggest problem is don't live right in La Crosse, stay in a smaller town and if you buy a house watch out for the property taxes, in some areas it is really high.

If you're not in the Medical field don't count on a high paying job. Don't expect a lot of great renting options unless you want to pay the equivelant of a decent sized mortgage. North side is getting "darker". Onalaska, Holmen, West Salem, G-E-T areas are all within commuting distance. Deer hunting is good - great in the 4-5 county area, won't be for you though unless you pay. Fishing is great.

If you don't like drinking & ice fishing you're going be bored from about mid-november to late april.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Nashville has gotten to damn big, people shooting each other every day it seems. Large refugee population moved to the city over the last 8 years. If you can live 30-45 minutes out on the north or south side, it would be ok I guess. Weird mofos rampant there now. It used to be a "Country City", now not so much.

Knoxville is much better, and as a poster stated earlier amazingly beautiful women.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it weren't for taxes and politics, I'd love the five finger region of New York. Really the entire area from Buffalo to Syracuse and south to the PA line.

I agree that there are a lot of beautiful women in Knoxville. Knoxville got nothing on Buffalo...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

Lol. I was thinking of changing my name on my DL to "I'm not from here" because that's usually how I introduce myself, but sing it proud, sister.

Go straight to "I used to live in Oregon" and skip the misery of being here.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ldholton
As was said a while back , Springfield Mo pop. nearing 200,000 than add Ozark, Nixa, Republic, Rodgersville, All very nice , very close. Building is booming in theses areas. Right now I'm booked for over 2years , for dirt work on housing const. forgot Strafford & Willard.
And yes Meth does seem to be a problem in the "area" but no worse than a lot of other places it just gets publisized more be cause of the arrest, Maybe due more to a lack of other BS problems in the area that other places seem to have.

Ha! Went to school in Willard for a spell.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All this talk of city's has me depressed.. sick

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You may want to take a look at east TN and/or northwest NC. Beautiful country right in the Smokies.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If you like traffic and cold weather in the winter
and bugs in the summer try Minneapolis.
Every weekend people pour out of the metro on Friday only to pour right back in on Sunday night.
It is damn near as liberal as California.
I have neighbors that drive almost 100 miles south to find work, so they drive two hundred miles every day but stay home and drink on the weekends to swat mosquitoes.
Paradise?

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I forgot to mention the 10,000 lakes.
I would be reluctant to eat anything caught in the river south of Minneapolis.
The women have teeth and normally are more interested in other women.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Bigfish9684: Move to Montana - you would be 100 times better off there than you have been in Bothell, Washington!
I moved out of Bellevue, Washington area (where I was born and raised and lived all my life until I moved to Montana 19 years ago) and that was THE single BEST decision I have ever made in my life!
Don't delay - move immediately.
The Puget Sound area has become SO repulsive in every way I hate to even go visit my elderly mother thereabouts.
Good luck to you where ever you go - just MOVE!
For your own health, safety and enjoyment of life.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Move to Texas. It's only about 200 degrees here now, we are due another hurricane. That's very exciting. Everyone should go through 4 or 5 times.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by atvalaska
All this talk of city's has me depressed.. sick

I heard someone knocked up the barmaid at Skinny Dick's

yep population explosion in your neck of the woods Terry.

there goes the neighborhood grin

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Tennessee sucks! You sound like a Canada man to me.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (219DW, 160user, 204guy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 48 invisible), 1,833 guests, and 1,051 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,185
Posts18,465,676
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.