Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
Ultradot all the way. Much quicker to acquire than the cross hairs of a long relief handgun scope and better in low light IMHO. With practice, 100 + yard shots are no problem.

Since you recommended it, and others have said that your book was an influence in their choice on their pistol/revolver, I went ahead and ordered one while they were on sale.

How do I send you the bill? grin

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RAS
All:

Gun: Ruger redhawk in 44 Mag. 7.5 inch barrel.

Game: Deer sized game. Maybe black bear sometime in the future.

I have a Leupold 2.5 EER scope now. But since I am new to handgun hunting, are there any better options?

What do you recommend and why?

Thank you,
RAS

Help me out here, are you talking about the 2.5-8x EER pistol scope, or are you talking about the 2.5x EER scout rifle scope?

I just retired a Ruger Redhawk Hunter, with a LEU 2x pistol scope. Bowen made me a nice set of hunting sights, and I'd go back and forth between those and the scope. Cannot begin to estimate the number of miles I carried that revolver.

Bowen sights alone, it was most joyful to hunt with as a 44 revolver. Great gun for me in the mountains for fairly quick shots inside about 50 yards. I'd be pushing it much further and would need ideal conditions and presentation. Maybe no more than about 75 yards due to sight thickness.

2x was complete opposite. Had no issue getting a good workable sight picture as far as the 44 would be effective on game. During practice sessions, from field positions, I'd generally beat a bolt gun in cleaning a row of spaced bowling pins out to around 135 yards or so. Problem was, it is true that it takes very good practiced form to quickly acquire a sight picture with the traditional pistol scope. When shot presentations are quick, close, and moving, like I experience with the technique of busting holed up boar out of the rocks in the mountains, even my 2x, which is actually 1.7x, requires practiced form, along the lines of wing shooting.

Nearly every time I took my rig out, I'd be torn between optic or fixed. Most presentations were actually inside 50 yards, but on occasion, I'd have a sitting duck at 125, and would wish for optics.

So, if traditional route, the 2x is the ticket, combined with a good set of fixed sights when you get the craving to run that revolver naked. Combine that with a good load running a 240xtp, for what you describe, and it will be as good as it gets.

Now, if talking putting a dot on that revolver, I'll defer to Max. What I did, and why my 44 is retired, I went the G40 route with fixed sights, and with Trijicon RMR dot. This is to maximize the fun I have with the close and quick shots, while having the ability to execute the occasional long shots, though I'll not push it as far as the 44. As with the perfection of the 240xtp with the 44, the sun, moon, and stars also align with the 180xtp in the 10mm.

If it were me, I'd neither run the 2.5-8x, nor the scout scope, if that is what you are saying. LEU 2x for scope, or probably listen to max if a dot on a revolver.

Best!

Last edited by GaryVA; 08/01/16.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have had several handgun scopes on my .454 FA Casull over the years, both Leupolds and Burris models. I have found that neither brand will stand up to more than 250 to 300 rounds of full-power loads before failing. I have sent a 4x Leupold LER back to the factory for repair twice, as I did a 4x Burris. I finally sold the Burris, but just two weeks ago, the Leupold cratered on me, again.

I have ordered a 2x Burris EER, maybe the lower magnification scope will hold up better than the 4x counterparts have, either Burris or Leupold. I also am not shooting full-power loads anymore- most of my shooting is with 250 gr. bullets, at around 1600 fps, and for hunting, I will be keeping my shot distances less than 100 yards, for which 2x will work just fine.

Both Burris and Leupold have given fine customer service, no complaints with either.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just got my satin 30mm Ultradot in. I will try to both and make a call from there.

Thanks for all the input gentlemen.

RAS

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 52 invisible), 2,653 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,565
Posts18,453,783
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.