-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I bought one of the new 5 shot Ruger Bisley recently. I shot some midrange 400 gr loads to get it sighted in. They shot high. I cranked the rear sight down as far as it goes and it still shoots 4-5" high at 25 yards. I could go a lighter bullets with more velocity but really want to shoot 400 grain bullets.

I called Ruger and they don't make a taller front sight. A call to Brownells indicates they don't have one either.

The front sight is pinned in so changing it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Anyone know of an aftermarket front sight option to get a taller front sight?

Thanks.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
There is a guy on the single action forum who makes and sells them. Pay the forum a visit and ask around as I forgot his name.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Ruger does (or at least did as of 6 months ago) offer a .45" high blade to address this. Factory blade should be .35" - the same issue exists for the 5-1/2" SS Bisley.

[Linked Image]

Edit to ad: this is my 480 Bisley - I ordered the sight blade last winter for the same issues you’re having, but haven’t installed it yet. I can’t seem to find the same blade now, but this one at Midway sounds like it may be it (based on the reviews).

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/51...h-7-1-2-barrel-blackhawk-stainless-steel

Last edited by JGray; 08/09/16.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Bea - I read that article when I was Googlefuing the issue. I don't have a way to fabricate one from scratch without a bunch of R&D on my end. I was hoping to find a solution rather than crafting one. Thanks for the link.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have an acct over tbere. I searched their forum but came up empty. I create the same post and see what happens. I'd pay someone a reasonable price to do it. Thanks.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J - interesting. I'd heard that Ruger carried a taller sight from another friend and called them first. The phone babe said they had no such part. I'll call them again today. Likewise I called Brownells and all they had was a front sight with ramp. On the SS guns, the front sight is pinned - both of mine are.

The Midway front looks to be the one I'm looking for. I'll call them today as well.

Question - how do you plan to drill the hole and make sure it's aligned with the current sight hole? I've been pondering that issue. It's a tiny hole.......

I also have a 5.5 Bisley 45 colt but don't have the issue with my 300 gr loads.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've had to install taller front sights on about every Blackhawk I've owned.

Never understood why they don't all come with taller sights. I'd much rather file a bit off.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Jack Huntington could easily make you one and send it to you to install

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
That blade is supposed to be 0.10” taller – I’d call Midway and ask them to verify the height (should be about 0.45” from top of blade to top of sight base. I’ve never drilled one myself – had a local gunsmith do the one on my 5-1/2” Bisley and will likely do the same with this one. Those that have drilled them say the process is to drill half way through from each side using the sight base as a guide for the bit with the blade clamped in place. I was concerned about buggering up the holes in the sight base, but assume that’s how a gunsmith might do it.

IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Call David Clements, tell him the loads you are using and he will send you one. I like his twenty degree canted serrated blade cut from thinner .010" stock.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by EdM
...I like his twenty degree canted serrated blade cut from thinner .010" stock.

I agree on Clement's blade shape being better - the steeper ramp will have less glare and my aging eyes do better with more daylight on the sides of the blade. I was considering that one when I bought the taller Ruger blade...

Last edited by JGray; 08/10/16.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Had the same problem with a 6" Freedom Arms .475 that I had a few years ago...the tallest front sight they had wasn't enough even when shooting 330 grain bullets. I think part of it was the loads were only running 1100 fps and the barrel was coming up long before the bullets got out the end of the barrel. Decided to sell the gun before having a custom front sight blade made...

Another vote for a Clements front sight. Had him make a long range front sight with two gold holdover bars for my .41 Magnum and it is excellent...

[Linked Image]

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
A little dap of JB weld.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
[Linked Image]
Was pretty upset because my Colt New Frontier in 22 mag always shot so high,About a foot at 15 yds!So one day I took a little block of steel, and got out a couple flat files and a chain saw file and started shaping away.Drilled and tapped it,set screw to hold it in place on one side, broken tap on the other,(oops)Anyway, spot on now. Ugly, but functional

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got a few of these and they work fine. I'd highly recommend at $30 shipped. You have to drill the hole, but it's not hard to do.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=230131

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

I had the same problem wit an Old Army. Ruger said they don't even fire them. I assume because of the Black powder.
I had a good welder add a piece.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

142 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 1_deuce, 2ndwind, 24 invisible), 1,595 guests, and 961 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,211
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.