Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup,that's a Banser stock and yup,like it on the M 70. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by pre64win
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I've been cleaning up my "H&H", since Gunner was wanting some pics:

Sweet rifle.

I'm to fat to be walking out on ice this thin, best tread lightly or this rifle may wind up in Okleehoma. grin

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
That would be very cool. How you liking that Bansner? I had one for a while on a classic, but didn't care for it too much. Ergo's were good, but it just didn't feel right to me. It did help to soak up recoil though. Very nice for shooting off the bench...

BSA, I got a Bansner on a '09 DWM Mauser in 6.5x55 Swede, nice stock, but they are too fat in the forend, particularly with my #2 contour barrel.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
I like it.

Will be using that .375 on rabbits this fall.

I'm surprised that Bansner holds the recoil of that 375 Elk, but yes, the fat forend would be fine with a 5 contour barrel. cool

Nice piece.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Very nice 375 Elkhunter.. That is a good looking hunting rifle.

BSA, I'm not sure what I'm going to do just yet with the Weatherby. Kinda taking it slow with this one. If I can get it to respond to floating then I might just put it in a good synthetic and leave the wood stock alone. I just wanna make sure it'll shoot before I get too far into it.

Semper Fi
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by beretzs
Very awesome gift to your father. That is some sorta awesome!!

I've been monkey'ing around with an old rechambered P64 I've had for a long time. Finally decided to shoot it. It was a 300 H&H but seems nicely rechambered to 300 Wby.

The .300 Wby Mag is a killer cartridge - perfect for NA big game in open country.

I've owned more than one pre 64 300 H&H which someone had rechambered into the .300 Wby. One of these rechambered rifles was done by Roy Weatherby himself, in the 1950s, I believe. As Roy Weatherby was trying to gain traction with his new cartridges, one of the things he did was offer very low-cost rechambering of non-Weatherby rifles into Weatherby cartridges. At the same time he was equipping big name hunters with these rifles and sending them on heavily publicized dangerous game hunts. A brilliant move, really, as it popularized the cartridges and therefore popularized the Weatherby rifles which had those chamberings from the factory.

[Linked Image]

I found out yesterday we have yet another .300 H&H coming into inventory which has the "H&H" XX'd out and "Wby" stamped above it. A pity the barrel has been modified from original, but a killer cartridge on a great rifle nonetheless. Depending on condition, we will either rebarrel it back to original, or use it as a parts donor rifle. In either case, I'll have a .300 Wby Mag barrel with a mint bore available on the website for anyone else is interested in owning a pre-64 chambered in this killer round. The bluing is mint and the price will be somewhere around $150.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sounds like a great deal buddy. Hey, out of curiosity do you have any H&H magnum stocks laying around. A buddy and I are looking for a nice one. You probably know my gunsmith here in north central Oregon. I'm going to check with him on Saturday, but open to other options. Anyone ever convert a std stock to H&H. Particularly the 375 H&H????

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
do you have any H&H magnum stocks laying around. A buddy and I are looking for a nice one.

I have one, but it is cut for a recoil pad and has a birdseye maple Schnabel forend. It's a nice stock, but it's not stock... if you know what I mean laugh

[Linked Image]

Anyone ever convert a std stock to H&H. Particularly the 375 H&H????

I'm working on one now. A 1956 marksman stock which was originally a .30-06 and is going to be a .300 H&H bull gun. For the bull rifle, the modification is limited to the inletting for the longer magazine box - it needs to be lengthened by around .25". Converting a standard sporter stock to work with a .375 H&H would be much more problematic, as the barrel contour is so different. If you wanted to go down this path, you may actually be better off starting with a Featherweight stock, so you can open the barrel channel without needing to deal with the wide spot in the channel that accommodates the rear sight boss.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
do you have any H&H magnum stocks laying around. A buddy and I are looking for a nice one.

I have one, but it is cut for a recoil pad and has a birdseye maple Schnabel forend. It's a nice stock, but it's not stock... if you know what I mean laugh

[Linked Image]

Anyone ever convert a std stock to H&H. Particularly the 375 H&H????

I'm working on one now. A 1956 marksman stock which was originally a .30-06 and is going to be a .300 H&H bull gun. For the bull rifle, the modification is limited to the inletting for the longer magazine box - it needs to be lengthened by around .25". Converting a standard sporter stock to work with a .375 H&H would be much more problematic, as the barrel contour is so different. If you wanted to go down this path, you may actually be better off starting with a Featherweight stock, so you can open the barrel channel without needing to deal with the wide spot in the channel that accommodates the rear sight boss.

Thanks for the suggestion. That's a great idea. I'll pass that information along.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'm just getting home from Wyoming prairie dog shooting. Bad news is the dog population is way, way down where we were. My buddy was there in the spring and there were lots of dogs. They have had only about 3 inches of rain all summer I don't know if that has contributed or not.

The good news is I won't be loading all winter for next year. The Winchester's held there own with the Cooper's. BUT the BEST news is that before I left I made a deal on 2 SG's a 220 Swift and a 300 H&H. I should have them by the end of next week.

IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by GSPfan
I'm just getting home from Wyoming prairie dog shooting. Bad news is the dog population is way, way down where we were. My buddy was there in the spring and there were lots of dogs. They have had only about 3 inches of rain all summer I don't know if that has contributed or not.

The good news is I won't be loading all winter for next year. The Winchester's held there own with the Cooper's. BUT the BEST news is that before I left I made a deal on 2 SG's a 220 Swift and a 300 H&H. I should have them by the end of next week.

Sorry about the lean dogs, but glad you wont have to load all Winter Too.

And CONGRATS on the new acquisitions, WE NEED TO SEE PICS!!!!! grin

Trump Won!
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,102 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,339
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.