Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Great photo, those youngsters are growing up and learning thing the city kids will never know.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Very cool tarkio! colodog nailed it, but those animals are like pets to those kids hard to let go knowing the consequence.

I like liberals-------------------------------------they make good bear bait! grin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
BTDT. I was in 4-H for years and raised quite a few meat animals. It seems a shame to put all that work into a steer just to have it butchered but there isn't a kid who sells a 4-H animal who doesn't know where our meat comes from and that Disney is a fraud. Those animals don't talk back.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Coop got really good news for his steer. As we were getting ready to load out the resale steers and those going to the different processors, a guy from one of the local bull studs came up and said he needed another jump steer. Lucky for Coop, or more correctly his steer, Smolder, they took Cooper's steer. So he's going to live a fairly long life and Cooper can go see him once in a while.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I was 4H as a kid, always had a steer and a couple pigs. Great way to make sure a kid stays busy throughout the summer.

If I get a couple hours I'm planning on checking out my cousins steer show tomorrow.

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Used to show pigs, many years ago. Lots more work with cattle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tarkio;
Good evening to you sir, thanks so much for sharing the family moment with us.

It's really heartening for this prairie farm boy to see the next shift still involved with animals and agriculture.

Please send along congratulations to your son for his hard work getting the steer to that stage. cool

I'll send you a tip of the hat too for the time and effort that I know goes into projects like that for our kids. Well done sir.

Thanks again, all the best to you folks this fall and good luck on your hunts too.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Very cool, Matthew!

BTDT with our kids here. They raised chickens, then turkeys, then hogs.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I struggle with photobucket, but got the pic grabbed and uploaded.

[Linked Image]

Montana MOFO
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The people that came together to buy the injured girls sheep show just what America and 4H is about, I hope she heals well and returns to the show arena, and congratulations to everyone that make it possible for so many kids grow and dream.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
IC B3

T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by jimy
The people that came together to buy the injured girls sheep show just what America and 4H is about, I hope she heals well and returns to the show arena, and congratulations to everyone that make it possible for so many kids grow and dream.

Was planning on posting on that this morning also.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very cool picture.

Originally Posted by SamOlson

To me the hardest animal to sell will always be an old(open..) cow.

Always a little sad loading them up on the semi bound for the sales ring.

This.

A couple months ago I hauled off an old cow that I pulled out of her momma 17 years ago. She always had very good gaining calves without ever a worry up thru '14. For some reason she missed the last 2 years and she headed to the sale barn back in June.

Happened to catch of picture of her and her last calf. The bull had hopped over the fence and had his way with her a month earlier than he should have, so baby was a bit sooner than expected. This particular calf just had her first baby back in March. Hopefully number one of many.

[Linked Image]

Black Cows Matter!
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
That's cool Tarkio.

I was never in 4H but grew up around cattle my entire life.

To me the hardest animal to sell will always be an old(open..) cow. We've got a little pasture close to home full of pairs but no bull. Easy walk to water, etc...

+10 year old cows raising their last calf. Some of them are home raised(one iron) cattle so you've known them since birth.

I'm with you on shipping cows that have been around a long time and always got the job done. We have one old cow we bought as a pair probably 11-12 years ago. Best cow I have ever owned. Top producer. Calves regularly. One year she was one of the very last to calve. Must've slipped a calf and rebred late in the season. Next year she moved up her calving date by over 30 days. Unreal female. We have a few females back in the herd out of her thankfully.

Will probably ship her this fall. Wife thought we should last fall. Didn't think she'd make it through the winter. Thankfully I prevailed and we kept her as she had another heifer calf this spring. Going to be tough to see her go. Considering just letting her stay here until she dies or needs to be put down.

Montana MOFO
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by muleshoe
Very cool picture.

To me the hardest animal to sell will always be an old(open..) cow.

This.

A couple months ago I hauled off an old cow that I pulled out of her momma 17 years ago. She always had very good gaining calves without ever a worry up thru '14. For some reason she missed the last 2 years and she headed to the sale barn back in June.

Happened to catch of picture of her and her last calf. The bull had hopped over the fence and had his way with her a month earlier than he should have, so baby was a bit sooner than expected. This particular calf just had her first baby back in March. Hopefully number one of many.

[Linked Image]

I work for an outfit that owned one of the top bulls in the Angus breed for a number of years. As the bull got old, the owner told the manager better get him in and across the ring before it's too late to get anything out of him. Manager told him no one on that ranch was hauling that bull to town. If he wanted him hauled to the salebarn, he'd have to do it himself. Owner was elderly so it never happened. Bull died on the place and they had his head mounted and buried the bull.

Montana MOFO
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

419 members (10gaugeman, 22kHornet, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 160user, 38 invisible), 1,908 guests, and 1,069 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,390
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.