-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm affiliated with the only people I'd recommend for the type of class you're looking for so it'd be pretty self serving to recommend them. I haven't taken any basic classes from the high-speed guys mentioned here so I don't know how they would do with new shooters.

A few things I'd look at in general....

Is the instructor able to deal with new shooters? Some don't have the patience, or knowledge base to deal with new shooters. That's not a bad thing, I really believe some guys have just gotten so used to everyone around them being so good that they don't know what to do with new shooters. It's just something to be aware of.

Is the course geared toward the outcome or the experience? Some courses are more of a feel-good-good-time type of experience that just want you to be comfortable with a gun. Others don't mind hurting your feelings a little, but want nothing more than to see you get to be a really good shooter. Both are fine, but you'll be happier if you choose a class that fits what you're wanting.

Are the course goals realistic? Any "new shooter" class that promises to have you shooting on the move and gunfighting your way to Valhalla in a day is just trying to sell you marketing gimmicks, or they're not going to give you the foundation you need to be really good later on.

Check out the venue. Maybe I'm just a punk, but if I can have a range with at least some shade to take a break in, bathrooms and somewhere to eat pretty close...I'll take it. I don't have to have it, but it sure makes a long couple of days not seem so long.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P.S.--Being a cop, or veteran, or face-shooting, beard growing, tactical god has absolutely no correlation at all to being able to teach. And what you need is a teacher.

The other credentials are well and good, but TEACHING credentials are what matters most in a basic handgun class.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
very good points Bluedreaux, I've seen it in other disciplines.

you can be very good at what you do, but that doesn't always translate into being good at imparting that information or ability to others.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
If you want some high volume shooting and more trigger time than taping targets and listening to instructors yap, try John Shaw's outfit.

Either Midsouth Institute, in Mississippi or Shaw Shooting in Hagerman Idaho.

Hundreds of self resetting automated steel targets. Press a button and the steel resets itself.

It seems that 50% of typical classes is either taping targets, or resetting steel.

At Shaw's schools, you will shoot more in a compressed time frame, while being critiqued. You don't tape targets or pick up brass, you just concentrate on being a better shooter.

From a cost benefit standpoint, you get a lot more for your money as far as I am concerned.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thunder Ranch is my #1, Gunsite #2, but open to other suggestions.

I've been to a few run by others, was sent there by the military, and they were good, but keep going back to TR when I'm spending my money.

Last edited by David_Walter; 08/26/16.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
wow Thanks David, that's good info

and so is yours MacKay, really appreciate the input from you guys that have btdt.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 222ND, 257 mag, 2003and2013, 67 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,200
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.