Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Hey guys
Hoping that you folks can help me out. I just bought a Tikka T3 CTR that I am hoping to take with me on my next trip to Canada but I'm not sure I can cross the border with it. I have brought guns across several times and never had any trouble just hoping to avoid embarrassment. The gun specs says that the barrel is 20" but depending on how it's measured could be 18.75" so I feel I'm good there BUT the 10rd magazine is making me question it. I have tried to do my due diligence by looking at the laws online, but they are kind of confusing. So I'm here looking for an answer. Anybody have any experience with this? Thanks for the help.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Not sure how Canada measures but in the U.S. it is the measurement from muzzle to breechface or boltface. You can print out the paperwork from Canadian government sources online. I did this a few years ago and was instructed to not sign the documents beforehand. Sign in the presence of the Canadian official that instructs you to do so. I think you used to be able to get questions answered on the govt. website if you have time to wait for a reply.

Last edited by Captain; 09/17/16.

NRA Benefactor Member

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizenry still gets to vote!"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That rifle and magazine are both legal and non-restricted. A bolt rifle can legally have a 1000 round mag if you want.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks guys. That's what I thought but wanted a second opinion.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
That rifle and magazine are both legal and non-restricted. A bolt rifle can legally have a 1000 round mag if you want.

Jordan;
Top of the morning to you sir, I trust the fall weather hasn't been too bad for you all and this finds you well.

In the case of the OP, I do believe you are correct - but - IF that magazine is made for a semi-auto rifle, then it must be pinned to accept only 5 rounds to be legal.

That's why a LE .303 magazine if fine, but I don't believe you're okay with say a bolt rifle modified to take an AR magazine and then being in possession of one of them in an unmodified state because it COULD be used in a semi-auto still.

Hopefully that was clear enough - I really and truly don't expect it to make sense in this instance however, being as that it's Canadian gun law.... wink

All the best to you all Jordan and good luck on your hunts of course too.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Captain;
Good morning to you sir, I hope the weekend has been a good one for you so far.

As you said, the legal accepted way to measure a barrel here is to drop a rod down it and measure from the muzzle to the face of bolt with the breach closed.

That's sort of clear - but there's of course a couple exceptions - so its only the part of the barrel which the bullet or wad column touches that's considered barrel. A flash hider or brake isn't considered such even if it's been welded on.

Crazy I know, but that's what it is.

A center fire, semi-auto rifle must have a barrel length of 18½" or the metric equivalent to be classed as non-restricted, which meant that M1 Carbines all didn't make it in their original state.

Lastly to add to the confusion - if it's a factory barrel, then a non-semiauto centerfire rifle or shotgun can have a much shorter barrel and still be non-restricted, providing the overall length of the resulting arm is more than 26½".

That's how we Canucks can legally run about in the mountains with 13" and 14" barreled pump guns for bear repellent.

If we cut the barrel down ourselves however, it must be 18½" long. Here's an example of both legal forms of bear scare devices up here.

[Linked Image]

Again I know its confusing and I hope that helped and didn't cause further confusion.

All the best to you and good luck on your hunts this fall.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Captain;
Good morning to you sir, I hope the weekend has been a good one for you so far.

As you said, the legal accepted way to measure a barrel here is to drop a rod down it and measure from the muzzle to the face of bolt with the breach closed.

That's sort of clear - but there's of course a couple exceptions - so its only the part of the barrel which the bullet or wad column touches that's considered barrel. A flash hider or brake isn't considered such even if it's been welded on.

Crazy I know, but that's what it is.

A center fire, semi-auto rifle must have a barrel length of 18½" or the metric equivalent to be classed as non-restricted, which meant that M1 Carbines all didn't make it in their original state.

Lastly to add to the confusion - if it's a factory barrel, then a non-semiauto centerfire rifle or shotgun can have a much shorter barrel and still be non-restricted, providing the overall length of the resulting arm is more than 26½".

That's how we Canucks can legally run about in the mountains with 13" and 14" barreled pump guns for bear repellent.

If we cut the barrel down ourselves however, it must be 18½" long. Here's an example of both legal forms of bear scare devices up here.

[Linked Image]

Again I know its confusing and I hope that helped and didn't cause further confusion.

All the best to you and good luck on your hunts this fall.

Dwayne

Great reply! Thanks for taking the time and good luck to you as well sir, though from reading your posts you strike me as the type that makes his own luck. wink

NRA Benefactor Member

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizenry still gets to vote!"
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I appreciate you fellows taking the time to clear things up for me. It looks like the magazine on my CTR will be legal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Jordan;
Top of the morning to you sir, I trust the fall weather hasn't been too bad for you all and this finds you well.

In the case of the OP, I do believe you are correct - but - IF that magazine is made for a semi-auto rifle, then it must be pinned to accept only 5 rounds to be legal.

That's why a LE .303 magazine if fine, but I don't believe you're okay with say a bolt rifle modified to take an AR magazine and then being in possession of one of them in an unmodified state because it COULD be used in a semi-auto still.

Hopefully that was clear enough - I really and truly don't expect it to make sense in this instance however, being as that it's Canadian gun law.... wink

All the best to you all Jordan and good luck on your hunts of course too.

Dwayne

Dwayne,

Yup, that's how I understand it, too. Most bolt rifle magazines are not designed for typical semi-auto rifles, so it's usually not an issue. But it could be a consideration, as you pointed out.

Good luck to you this fall, as well!

Jordan

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
You are getting good advice here. You can verify for yourself at the source by checking with the RCMP:

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/bulletins/bus-ent/20110323-72-eng.htm

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

123 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 35, 6mmCreedmoor, 338rcm, 7x57Hunter, 13 invisible), 1,254 guests, and 793 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,506
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.