Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Originally Posted by 25-06 Lilja
I'm wanting a 7MM REM. MAG.
I want to spend around $1,000 for the rifle and match it with a scope that will work in woods, cutovers, and gaslines. Scope can be $1,000 also.
What do you guys recommend?

I hate to be one of those guys who recommend something other than what was asked. And if your mind is already made up, then so be it.

But:
If it indeed it is for Alabama whitetail and/or hogs, I'd buy a 7mm-08.

I killed a large Michigan deer at 625 yds. with one of my 7-08s. One shot, DRT. That is about as far as I personally care to shoot at a deer, but it would work a good ways further out than that. Put a 162 Amax in a 7-08 and it will reach out and touch someone. Have killed many more at spitting distance.

Unless you plan on REALLY airing it out, I just don't see the need for the magnum. JMO........

There is no need for a magnum in Alabama or in 99% of other hunting situations outside Alabama. All of our discussion all the time isn't based on need though. I just assumed the OP knew what he wanted,but of coarse this is the 24 hour campfire.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd nab a Model 700 CDL (stainless or blued) and put a Leopold VX 3 on it.
You'd have a good-looking, good-shooting rifle with a dependable scope that will still work fine when your grandchildren are retirement age.

Only a fool would sell an accurate .30-06
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The first 150 big game animals I shot were predominately shot with a 7mmRemMagnificent, then as I got older I started disliking recoil. Out of the last 75 or so I've shot, the 7mm08 has been the weapon of choice.

That being said, if a guy wants a 7RM then by all means he should get one.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I LOVE 7mm magnums. wink

They work great on deer !

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Think brad is saying that the 7mm Rem mag is too big for Alabama whitetail and that the 260,7/08 and .308 are as good or better.

Personally,the 7mm Rem mag will work on Alabama whitetail. Despite what the experts say.

No, what I'm saying is the lesser rounds will be more fun to shoot, therefore he'll shoot more, therefore he'll be a better shot, and that Alabama deer won't know the difference between being hit by a 7mm RM or 7-08, but the shooter sure will feel the difference.

Interesting,never noticed recoil while shooting at animals. Also been using a .375 RUM on jackrabbits for an upcoming hunt.

[Linked Image]

Practice,practice,practice,no matter the cartridge. If there's more recoil,start slow and work up to more rounds per session. Don't shoot more than you can take i.e. if 10 rounds is all,start at 5 and work up to more. Get away from the bench,shoot at varmints,water jugs,watermelons,cantaloupe etc.. make it fun.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I LOVE 7mm magnums. wink

They work great on deer !
Used mine on deer,antelope and elk. All with a 160 gr NP.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The OP never stated that he wanted to use the rifle in Alabama, necessarily. Out-of-state hunts can be fun.

Last time I checked, Alabama had roads with at least two lanes, so he can leave the state as well as enter it.

I'd second the Tikka/Leupold 3.5x10, or 4x12, whichever one looks best when he puts his eyeball to it.

Spend the rest of the budget for ammo and gas, and go kill stuff. He stated he wanted a 7mm Mag, so anything suggestion other than that doesn't matter.

Not my choice, but if that's what he wants.........

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Hey Elk, all those pics you have shared over the years of bunnies and Big Berthas, were they killed from concussion and shell shock? LOL

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks guys!
I have a couple of 7mm-08s a 280, 25-06, 308, and 300 Win Mag.
I'm probably going to have another 7mm Rem Mag built. I gave my custom 7mm Rem Mag to my son a couple of weeks ago.
I'm wanting a 270 also.
Alabama deer are finicky so you can't just shoot them with the same caliber all the time! grin

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by viking
Hey Elk, all those pics you have shared over the years of bunnies and Big Berthas, were they killed from concussion and shell shock? LOL
Actually,I tell the rabbits what I'm using,cartridge,bullet,BC,SD,COAL etc... and they just keel over. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'd go the campfire elite route... whistle

$1650 Nightforce with a $349 Ruger American Underneath it.

That's what all the campfire elite would highly approve of.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Seafire
I'd go the campfire elite route... whistle

$1650 Nightforce with a $349 Ruger American Underneath it.

That's what all the campfire elite would highly approve of.

now we're talking some sense. of course i beat that, i bought my RAR at clearance prices.. just trying to even the odds, and keep meat-hunting an economical enterprise.

but the cost of killing animals does seem to be increasing on an annual basis.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Tikka T3 stainless lite in 308.

SWFA SS 6x MQ in Sako Optilok rings.

All done for just over a grand.

Use the remaining $1,000 for three cases of Hornady 168 AMAX match.

Which you'll find shoots three shots into one hole with that rifle.

Done and done.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Tikka T3 stainless lite in 308.

SWFA SS 6x MQ in Sako Optilok rings.

All done for just over a grand.

Use the remaining $1,000 for three cases of Hornady 168 AMAX match.

Which you'll find shoots three shots into one hole with that rifle.

Done and done.

+1

As far as I'm concerned you have to spend over $3000 if you want to top this setup.

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Contrary to popular opinion a 7mm rem mag isn't "too big" for whitetails and a 7mm-08 isn't "better". A few hundred mississippi whitetails dead at my hands with a 7mm rem mag will attest to that. It works just fine. So does the .375 H&H magnum, 45-70, 35 Whelen, 338 win mag, etc. all of which I've killed whitetails with and are supposedly "too big" according to the experts here.

What people are really saying when they recommend against a larger round for whitetails is that I don't like shooting them because they kick them too much, which has nothing to do with what the OP asked. He's not you, and assuming he's an adult means that he's entitled to make his own decision regarding how big of a rifle he wants to shoot. Imagine the howls of protest on here if half the members were greenies and every time some asked a question about diesel pickups someone chimed in and said you need to be driving a prius, that diesel pickup is too big. Same theory and it really boils down to someone wanting to project their own biases and desires onto the questioner. If someone says they want a 7mm rem mag for deer hunting then I take them at their word that they are OK with shooting it. I can assure you that it works just fine on deer, as well as any 7mm-08 ever invented. Maybe not better, but certainly no worse.

I'm a rifle loonie and my current deer rifle is a 6.5x47 Lapua. I might use it a few times this year then pull out the 7mm rem mag. I might also pull out the 7mm-08, 375 H&H, or a half dozen others. It's all good, they all shoot well and any of them will kill a deer. Use what you want and have confidence in.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 25-06 Lilja
I'm wanting a 7MM REM. MAG.
I want to spend around $1,000 for the rifle and match it with a scope that will work in woods, cutovers, and gaslines. Scope can be $1,000 also.
What do you guys recommend?

I'd scrounge up some extra cash and get a Nosler custom, or maybe a Hill Country Rifles.

I'd top it with Swarovski.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Contrary to popular opinion a 7mm rem mag isn't "too big" for whitetails and a 7mm-08 isn't "better". A few hundred mississippi whitetails dead at my hands with a 7mm rem mag will attest to that. It works just fine. So does the .375 H&H magnum, 45-70, 35 Whelen, 338 win mag, etc. all of which I've killed whitetails with and are supposedly "too big" according to the experts here.

Missed anyone posting that 7RM is "too big".

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
why not a Ruger no. 1 they can be had in blue or stanless wood or lamated you can go new or used

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

338 members (1_deuce, 264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 48 invisible), 1,776 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,433
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.