Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I remodeled old buildings with knob & tube, years ago.
Still have some recovered tubes - they are ceramic and put a fine edge on a blade smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by duck911
I can architect the worlds most complicated telecommunications systems but when it comes to home electrical work I am admittedly a COMPLETE moron.

So here is my question:

I have an existing light fixture in the basement. I know I can tap into it with 14/2 romex, go black/black, white/white, copper/copper, and run a line to a new fixture, so I would then have 2 lights on the same switch.

To add a 3rd light, would I just do the same from the new 2nd light? Or do I add any more lights off the existing light?

blush

Told you I am an electrical moron!

All of the lights will be low wattage LED so I am not worried about additional load on the circuit.

thanks!!

I am a telecommunications person too (retired) but I installed the central office switching systems which included all the breaker panels, lighting, electrical receptacles, power systems (batteries, rectifiers to charge the batteries and diesel generators to charge the batteries if commercial power went down). Go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a book about home wiring and you'll never have to ask another question about home electrical work.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The biggest hurdle in home electrical is getting over the fear of it. Respect it by all means because electricity can kill you. But don't fear it. It's actually quite easy to do safely and there are numerous books on how to do it right.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by KC

Run them in parallel so that when one bulb burns out the others will continue to work. If you run the in series when one bulb burns out, they all go out and you can't tell which is the bad bulb.

KC

Uff Da.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rem141r
my old house was knob and tube with a fuse box and balloon construction with the wiring all run here and there through the walls with blown in old insulation. now that there was some scary schit.

And yet those old knob and tube jobs did not burn down...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KC

Run them in parallel so that when one bulb burns out the others will continue to work. If you run the in series when one bulb burns out, they all go out and you can't tell which is the bad bulb.

KC

Captain Obvious rides again!!!!!!!!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
This is how good I am with electricity.

I had a bad smoke detector and it was setting all of them off. I called my electrician and he said if they're older than 10 years to replace all of them, so I did.

I replaced 7 smoke detectors and only shocked myself 3 times. eek mad laugh

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Replacing a hard wired smoke detector with the breaker on is just like replacing a light switch with the power on.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
When I went to shoeing school, I showed up on Sun afternoon to find all the fellas sitting in the dark with flashlights in the kitchen. Puzzled, I asked what was up.

They pointed to a breaker on the table. There's a bad breaker. Reggie (owner) is ascared of 'lectricity and has an electrician coming tomorrow. nobody can find the main breaker.

I went out to my truck for a screwdriver and changed the breaker with 9 fellers watching like I was doing magic.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

145 members (10Glocks, 44mc, AlleghenyMountain, 7x57Hunter, 7887mm08, 808outdoors, 15 invisible), 1,952 guests, and 791 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,693
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.