Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I'd like to build a little cold room. Be able to Keep humidity down while aging it.

Good luck!

Look into a device called a Cold Bot. That an a $300 room air conditioned will turn a small insulated room into great walk in cooler

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
[found a couple bunches of fly eggs on it. They're harmless if you cut them off but it's amazing how flies can get to meat that way.

Just learned this this year. Sprinkle chile powder on the meat before you bag it. Works a lot better than black pepper. It will wash off when you clean up the meat and won't effect the taste.

Tried it this year in ML season when flies and bees were terrible. Worked great

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Winters-- since you've had experience with keeping game on ice for one week-- let me assure you you can keep meat on ice much longer. I live in Ala and my normal routine is to keep my boned out venison on ice for at least two weeks. Been doing it for years with many, many deer- have also done it with moose from British Columbia, elk from Colorado and Julie's and white tails from. Kansas. Never had a problem. Most folks say my venison is best they've eaten. When you take it out of the color to process, you'll notice it is grey-- as soon as it warms up to room temp it will be that nice dark burgundy you're used to- Bill

It's the hunt, not the kill.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I'd like to build a little cold room. Be able to Keep humidity down while aging it.

Good luck!

Look into a device called a Cold Bot. That an a $300 room air conditioned will turn a small insulated room into great walk in cooler
the Cool Bot will cost a bit over $300 plus the a/c unit. They say that the Cool Bot can't use the rated BTU's of the a/c so you need a larger one than what you might figure.
Plus, you need a very well insulated room, including the floor.
An a/c will shut off at about 60F. The Cool Bot will keep it running to a much lower temp.
COOL BOT
We've been thinking about building a cooler with one of these to store garden stuff plus meat.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by bwinters
I'm soliciting thoughts on the best way to care for game meat that has been quartered and won't be final cut for some time. Case in point: I'm doing a 2 week elk hunt; 1 week in WY 1 week in CO. I shot an elk in WY Sunday AM. I have it quartered, boned, meat clean (ie. No dirt), and on ice. I drain any blood/water daily. My concern is the meat sitting in a cooler for 12-14 days. I've left them for 5-6 days but never longer.

I have options. I can have it frozen or processed when I get to CO. I'd greatly prefer to cut my own meat and would like to retain that option if possible.

What have you guys done in this situation?

Meat from the pronghorn, whitetail and mulies I kill are aged in a cooler on ice for 10-14 days. The dirty water is drained daily and ice is added as needed. You might be able to do that. If not, I'd have it frozen. It won't hurt the meat.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (2500HD, 219 Wasp, 1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 40 invisible), 2,678 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,290
Posts18,467,925
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.