Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I doubt you'll see much difference at 100yds with an average hunting rifle by not resizing the neck after pulling and seating a new bullet. Neck tension will affect accuracy but the average rifle won't show how much (with statistical confidence) without shooting a LOT of 5-10 shot groups. A very accurate LR rifle or BR rifle may be a different story, but in that case I would only use such rounds for fouling or practice. Still, I will normally run the case back in the FL die and go about 2/3 down the neck but not touch the body. The de-cap pin is removed on all my FL dies and this method doesn't require any lube.

I use the Lee FC on a couple calibers and it will help, but you still won't have the "same" neck tension as on a round that had been re-neck sized. And either one would most likely be a little different than a case that had been fired and sized normally. It gets down to how fine do you want to pick your nits...

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gzig5
I doubt you'll see much difference at 100yds with an average hunting rifle by not resizing the neck after pulling and seating a new bullet. Neck tension will affect accuracy but the average rifle won't show how much (with statistical confidence) without shooting a LOT of 5-10 shot groups. A very accurate LR rifle or BR rifle may be a different story, but in that case I would only use such rounds for fouling or practice. Still, I will normally run the case back in the FL die and go about 2/3 down the neck but not touch the body. The de-cap pin is removed on all my FL dies and this method doesn't require any lube.

I use the Lee FC on a couple calibers and it will help, but you still won't have the "same" neck tension as on a round that had been re-neck sized. And either one would most likely be a little different than a case that had been fired and sized normally. It gets down to how fine do you want to pick your nits...

Good points.

DF

W
OP Offline
W
Thanks guys , I'll go on and resize them for piece of mind.

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
The Lee Collet Neck sizer dies work great for the situation you described. It is what I use if I need to pull bullets and then resize/reload.
In the past I have had pressure issues with crimped loads when trying to work up loads. The accuracy was erratic at times also. This was with a 243 and problem went away when I quit crimping. This was just my experience. I used to crimp a standard 30-06 load that worked great in a lot of different rifles. But if I didn't crimp using the same load my personal rifles shot it more accurately. Not a great deal more accurate, but still noticeable at 100yds.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The Lee Collet Neck sizer is never a bad option...

DF

IC B2

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
The Lee Collet Neck sizer is never a bad option...

DF

HUGE +1!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1234, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 1eyedmule, 61 invisible), 2,570 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,562
Posts18,453,715
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.