Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by ol_mike

I bet the medical bills from rabies would be a considerable amount of money too .

About 10 years ago, I was managing a farm and we had a steer on pasture get rabies. It was only after we had been working with it that the vet figured out it was rabies. So I had to get treated. The bill the hospital sent for the first ER visit, 14 cc of immunoglobulin, and the first round of vaccine was $14K. I'm sure they paid less (workers comp) but I'll bet it was still pricey.

One employee hadn't been exposed but we were concerned about more cattle having it so he got vaccinated (no immunoglubulin). That was $500 for 3 shots.

Dale

This space for rent

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The neighbor saw the raccoon, staggering around in broad daylight, and took pictures of it. And said and did nothing.

What a moron!
Anybody knows that raccoons are nocturnal. A raccoon behaving like that is very sick and probably has rabies.

Dumb ass neighbor should have shot that 'coon, or at least called DNR. What a fool.

Ten years ago I was down in a suburban neighborhood in Atlanta visiting my fiancee. Sunny Sunday morning about 11 am.
I was driving around, saw a guy with his son out in the yard. There was a big 15 pound raccoon. The guy and his son were both holding shovels in their hands.

I stopped and talked to them. The raccoon was laying on the ground, then standing up. I told them this ain't right this animal is very sick probably has rabies.
They said they knew, had called animal control.

Of course, I wanted to pull my .38 and shoot the 'coon. But that is illegal in suburban Atlanta.
So, I am not going to do 5 years in Leavenworth over a rabid raccoon. In a minute I got into my pickup and left.

Last edited by simonkenton7; 10/23/16.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I've gotta get the pressure washer out and wash off the wall of the walkout basement. I shot a coon on our deck and it bled out all over. I shoot coons and possums all the time. I'll let a possum go unless he shows fight. Coons don't get a pass.
If it's safe, use a weed burner 1st to kill the virus. Then power wash it.
Maybe it won't help, but why take a risk?

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Last Oct while I was sleeping (5am, camping) a rabid skunk bit onto my hand between the thumb and pointer finger and refused to let go. It was quite the experience going to battle with a skunk in pitch black darkness. Too at least a minute to get the f'n thing off my hand. Went through the series of injections. Fun stuff.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dale K
Originally Posted by ol_mike

I bet the medical bills from rabies would be a considerable amount of money too .

About 10 years ago, I was managing a farm and we had a steer on pasture get rabies. It was only after we had been working with it that the vet figured out it was rabies. So I had to get treated. The bill the hospital sent for the first ER visit, 14 cc of immunoglobulin, and the first round of vaccine was $14K. I'm sure they paid less (workers comp) but I'll bet it was still pricey.

One employee hadn't been exposed but we were concerned about more cattle having it so he got vaccinated (no immunoglubulin). That was $500 for 3 shots.

Dale

Which is why many smaller clinics/hospitals do not keep the vaccine in stock because the exp date is short and the high cost of the vaccine.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
my Granny (central AZ) used to give us kids hell for sleeping on the ground.

"You'll get a rattler in yore bedroll shore, or a hydrophoby skunk will bite your face off!"

Older I get, the smarter she was!

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
The neighbor saw the raccoon, staggering around in broad daylight, and took pictures of it. And said and did nothing.

What a moron!
Anybody knows that raccoons are nocturnal. A raccoon behaving like that is very sick and probably has rabies.

Dumb ass neighbor should have shot that 'coon, or at least called DNR. What a fool.

Ten years ago I was down in a suburban neighborhood in Atlanta visiting my fiancee. Sunny Sunday morning about 11 am.
I was driving around, saw a guy with his son out in the yard. There was a big 15 pound raccoon. The guy and his son were both holding shovels in their hands.

I stopped and talked to them. The raccoon was laying on the ground, then standing up. I told them this ain't right this animal is very sick probably has rabies.
They said they knew, had called animal control.

Of course, I wanted to pull my .38 and shoot the 'coon. But that is illegal in suburban Atlanta.
So, I am not going to do 5 years in Leavenworth over a rabid raccoon. In a minute I got into my pickup and left.

Coons can get distemper, they will stagger around in the daylight unafraid of people. I shot two in the yard like that last fall.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
OK. Distemper, rabies, same deal, shoot em!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sad deal I was aware of when I was in Africa.

A British volunteer was in a marketplace in Egypt when a dog licked a scratch on her leg. At the time she didn't think much of it. That's all it took.

Last edited by Birdwatcher; 10/23/16.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1Akshooter, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,384 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,255
Posts18,467,016
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.