-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's not a bedding block, it is a set of crossbolts-- the bolts are not exposed to the inlet. A hole is drilled through the stock. That hole is tapped all the way through with a long "airplane tap". A length of all thread is coated with Marine Tex and threaded into the tapped hole. The ends are covered in Marine Tex and the outside is sanded flat and painted over. The all thread avoids the "slick surface" that you describe. The end user will never know it's there but there are two crossbolts in the stock.

I'm the wrong guy to argue the physics of it but I don't think D'Arcy is doing it just for fun, he's not really that kind of guy. A guy who has built as many 458 Lotts as he has over the years know a little about the forces of recoil.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Anything the shoulder can handle, reinforced epoxy is plenty strong enough to handle out there where it all starts. From the standpoint of doing things right threading the hole and then coating it with Marine-Tex, a stiff epoxy compound, and driving them together is a little goofy.

Epoxy will form a perfect match with the threads, stick very well need nothing else. The threads if cut anything like the all-thread will wipe the Marine-Tex off on the way in.

And getting back to the definition of cross-bolts a piece or two of all-thread epoxied into a stock and hidden is not a cross-bolt.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sitka-

I am confident that you are willing to argue about the definition of a crossbolt as well as the color of the sky for the remainder of 2016, which is fine.

For anyone else interested in a) the problem of a stock cracking through the recoil mortise and b) one proposed solution, this thread does a good job of explaining and visually demonstrating what's going on:

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4711043/m/7211094102?r=1181065102#1181065102

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Okay, Argumentum ad Absurdum at that link... The pins there are nothing like the commercial pins the OP is asking about.

Echols is not installing cross-bolts per standard definitions in stockmaking. They are not engaging the recoil lug as is standard and they are not shaped to match the lug... Therefore, the concept of spreading the recoil force over a larger area than the recoil lug by metal-to-metal contact is absent.

The lowest compression value commercial blend steel bed I remember is well over 10,000psi. No shoulder fired rifle is even close to producing the kind of pressure it takes to deform that. No shoulder could handle it if there was that kind of force deliverable.

Making a homogeneous bed is very important in epoxy use subjected to large forces. When it fails it fails at the interfaces.

The splitting forces are built inside the magazine well but are limited by the play in the action screw holes, bottom metal and the action itself.

I am certain Mr. Echols does one hell of a good job, but he is not trying to control traditional splitting with his "cross-bolts".

His comments about untrue recoil lugs is outstanding and his descriptions by photo even better.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Okay, Argumentum ad Absurdum at that link.

More of your posts?

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Snyper

More of your posts?

That is funny! Your reading comprehension (a gift by the way) is so poor you do not even understand what you said nor what I said...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

More of your posts?

That is funny! Your reading comprehension (a gift by the way) is so poor you do not even understand what you said nor what I said...

I understand well enough to comprehend you don't have a clue about installing a crossbolt that will actually make the stock stronger, even after Woodhits has set you straight.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

More of your posts?

I understand well enough to comprehend you don't have a clue about installing a crossbolt that will actually make the stock stronger, even after Woodhits has set you straight.

Typing slowly so you might catch it...

I am willing to bet I can document at least two orders of magnitude more tests to failure on gun stocks than Echols with the purpose of determining what is strongest.

I am certain he found methods that work and has stuck with them. I was testing for ultimate strength...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

More of your posts?

Typing slowly so you might catch it...

I am willing to bet I can document at least two orders of magnitude more tests to failure on gun stocks than Echols with the purpose of determining what is strongest.

I am certain he found methods that work and has stuck with them. I was testing for ultimate strength...

I have no doubt you can continue to ramble endlessly, but it won't change what I said.
You still seem to have no clue about how crossbolts really work.
(HINT: It's got nothing to do with epoxy)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 69 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,681
Posts18,456,303
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.