Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
montanabadger,
I guess I'm not entirely clear on things. Your title says you ended your season due to another hunter, but it looks like from your post that you didn't know the deer had already been shot. Who is the other guy who said the wounds weren't immediately life threatening? A little clarification would help. Glad you put the buck down in any regard.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
The other, stupid ass hunter aimed for the lungs but shot him in the hind leg. Pathetic.
There are some really sorry stupid hunters out there, and lots of deer suffer and suffer because of their mistakes.

Glad you were able to put this poor guy out of his misery.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
I've put down at least four (that I can recall right off) that were badly shot by others. I leave them.

Mathew 22: 37-39

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by sambo3006
montanabadger,
I guess I'm not entirely clear on things. Your title says you ended your season due to another hunter, but it looks like from your post that you didn't know the deer had already been shot. Who is the other guy who said the wounds weren't immediately life threatening? A little clarification would help. Glad you put the buck down in any regard.
Sloppy writing of the post, and some misreading on your part. I meant to say I finished the fob the other guy started. If there deer hadn't been wounded like he was I doubt he would have laid there like he did as he saw me long before I saw him. The wounds didn't damage any internals and he wasn't bleeding alot so he could have hung in there for a long time.

Last edited by montanabadger; 10/23/16.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ah, I get it now.
You did a good thing.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ive killed several wounded deer. One had obviously tangled with a truck and was missing a large piece of hide on his rump, it had to be the ugliest deer in the woods.
Another deer (a doe) i hit badly due to some wierd flying ninja barrel roll after the bow string was released. 5 hours of tracking, over 5 miles of country, until a landowner refused me access to finish it off.
To this day i am reminded of that shot, by my email address, and i switched from recurve to crossbow for the added follow through. The arrow did not punch cleanly through the skull, and would not have been fatal for some time, likely due to infection. Fate, not lack of skill guided that arrow.

Last edited by kellory; 10/23/16.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I wonder how many of these wounded deer stories are related to the yahoo's that don't even bother to sight their rifle in before hunting season. Many just grab a handful of random bullets in drawer, head out and hope for the best. Then they wonder why their deer ran off, after the shot with little or no blood trail. Only mentioning this because "I know a few guys" that operate like that. I always dread hunting with the guys that don't make the necessary preparations to make clean accurate shots.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good job.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Many "hunters" aren't "shooters". They don't realize how far off "random bullets from a drawer" hit from the point of aim. They also have no idea of range estimation and wind drift. Many also think they can shoot a lot better than they really can.

They don't take the time to learn the craft.

Good on the OP for ending the suffering.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One year I sat on the deck in Northern Michigan drinking a beer after I just hung up a nice 8 pt. There is only one other house in the area. It is about 85-yards away. Back of field edge behind said house is just over 625 yds. From the deck.

I could see a guy in a giant orange pumpkin suit sitting in the tree line roughly 50 yds from back field edge. Neighbor's son. I knew the deer would be coming out at any minute. They come out, guy fires his shotgun not once, but 4 times. Deer still standing there 50 yds. away looking at him. On the fifth shot he drops it. He gets up walks toward deer, gets maybe 10 yds. from it, and deer gets up and runs into woods. They looked a long time and never found it. I am sure it lived out it's last days as a tripod.

Why anyone would choose a shotgun where rifles are legal, I have no idea. But at least know how to shoot the damm thing. It was sickening to watch.

Not long before this happened, I took a deer in same location of back field edge. 1 Shot, DRT. But I was shooting from the deck...... cool

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 700LH
If the meats bad call F&G, good chance they will give you another tag.

I wish I knew that two seasons back because the whitetail my son shot had a previous injury and it was fugking horrific.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was thinking same thing. If one was so inclined to get the DNR involved, they just may have taken care of you. Have seen similar things happen......

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
The wounds were fresh, he's got a nice rack, I got lots of meat off him, and he's no longer suffering, I'm happy, I'll call it call it my feel good trophy.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 1OntarioJim, 224th, 222Sako, 204guy, 43 invisible), 2,008 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,069
Posts18,463,518
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.