Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
I'll be damned, I had no idea we had scorpions here. Lived and recreated all over the state and never seen one. Don't mind if I never do either!

We have some pretty impressive horny toads too. Found some of those in eastern Garfield County in a set of sand dunes. Another critter you don't associate with eastern Montana.

I did see some horny toads, surprised me as before then I hadn't realized they were here too.

MAGA
BP-B2

T
Tarkio Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
There is a set of sand dunes on a friend's ranch that we used to go messing around in. That place was loaded with horny toads.

Fair number of snakes in the surrounding area as well, but that's no surprise

Montana MOFO
T
Tarkio Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
This is a picture of the country we were in.

[Linked Image]

Montana MOFO
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
you have another pic of that rascal, with a side view of the tail ?

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

T
Tarkio Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I don't believe so. My son took a couple quick pictures and then I got him off our gear so he didn't disappear into it only to sting us later when digging in the packs.

I ended his young life and the stinger was doing its best to inject my knife during the process.

Montana MOFO
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
I'll be damned, I had no idea we had scorpions here. Lived and recreated all over the state and never seen one. Don't mind if I never do either!

We have some pretty impressive horny toads too. Found some of those in eastern Garfield County in a set of sand dunes. Another critter you don't associate with eastern Montana.
The only horned toad we have here is the pygmy. They're only about 3" long and hard to see. We have a lot of them, though.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've seen Scorpions here too

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by BigSkyGuy
Yup, that would be the Northern scorpion, the only species in the state.

They are in fact poisonous.

Where did you find him? I thought they were only in the SE corner of the state...
venomous, all scorpions are, just some are a lot more deadly, most are just like a bad bee sting.

More people die from scorpion stings than do from rattle snake bites but the only scorpion considered to be potentially fatal is the bark scorpion usually found in Arizona. They don't bark before they sting you though, they just look like tree bark.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Encountered lots of them regularly over the years in AZ, including the smaller/lighter colored "bark" type noted above. The larger they were, the less we seemed to worry. Ran into them from the very low desert near Yuma up through the mile-high plus areas around Prescott. But, 200 miles east and still in the SW, but at nearly 8,000 ft. elevation, have not seen a single one in 16 years. Maybe need to look more closely in likely places.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by montanabadger
I have caught them around Makoshika park near Sidney MT.

You mean Glendive right? I've seen all kinds of critters in Makoshika but never a scorpion. Mostly little lizards and blue snakes that can haul ass. I believe they are called blue racers?

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Rooster7

You mean Glendive right? I've seen all kinds of critters in Makoshika but never a scorpion. Mostly little lizards and blue snakes that can haul ass. I believe they are called blue racers?

I saw them as a kid in Glendive playing/riding dirt bikes in Makoshika. We found all kinds of cool shiit out there. Very cool place.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Those little basturds will light you up -been had more than once by them.
Rolling over and getting popped while sleeping will really make you mad .

I get nailed in bed about 6-10 times a year. Yes we spray too... it would be well worse if we did not spray.

They are not fun. On the face. While sleeping...or anywhere else, I think I've been nailed in about any place you can think of....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495
I think I've been nailed in about any place you can think of....

Does it swell up?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by fester

I saw them as a kid in Glendive playing/riding dirt bikes in Makoshika. We found all kinds of cool shiit out there. Very cool place.

Makoshika is awesome! I was once engaged to a girl from Glendive and we spent a lot of time in that park.

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

Does it swell up?

Nope, but it damn sure hurt like hell...

Altought in honesty, the times I"ve been hit in my boots has hurt more and longer... but i suspect I'm getting nailed over and over before I can get my boot back off again...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

Does it swell up?

Nope, but it damn sure hurt like hell...

Altought in honesty, the times I"ve been hit in my boots has hurt more and longer... but i suspect I'm getting nailed over and over before I can get my boot back off again...

That's what she said?

MAGA
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Makoshika is awesome! I was once engaged to a girl from Glendive and we spent a lot of time in that park.
as a matter of fact I did mean glendive, what the hell was I thinking? I grew up in Glendive.

Last edited by montanabadger; 10/27/16.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

as a matter of fact I did mean glendive, what the hell was I thinking? I grew up in Glendive.

Lol! Don't sweat it. Age does funny things to all of us! haha

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
291 members (1minute, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 44 invisible), 2,150 guests, and 1,028 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,725
Posts18,400,614
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.