Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1OntarioJim

“My experience with the .375 Hawk/Scovill has shown it to be efficient, powerful,flat shooting, and an ideal cartridge for all Alaskan game.”
Phil Shoemaker, The Legacy of Lever Guns, Winter 2000

http://z-hat.com/375-hawk/

Also Dave Scovill wrote an article about the .375 H-S in either Handloader or Rifle. He used it in a 1895 Winchester for hunting brown bear in Alaska with Phil.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
The easiest and probably best thing to do would be to run 240 Woodleigh bullets in the 30-06 at 2400+. That is what they designed them for.

Interesting. Care to expand on that a bit?

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by djs
When it was introduced, the 35 Whelen was nipping on the heels of the 375 H&H and it was affordable to boot!

Well they don't call it the- 'poor mans .375' (or '.35 Wheelchair') f4r nothing... grin

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have been considering a 375 Scovill and have pretty much ruled it out, primarily due to the high cost of the various dies I would need.

The concept was a "want", not a "need", so I have talked myself out of it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by aalf

I voted the same....no 06's left in the safe now.....

I know what you mean. My 06's are normally out on gun racks or in the truck or in my hands - sometimes on the shooting bench, deer hunting...

I think I'd go for the 35 Whelen if I didn't already have a 350 RM. I'd vote for the 9.3x62 if I were going to hunt Kodiak or Africa. But then what would I do with my larger cartridge rifles?

Bottom line for me - 35 Whelen. I'd normally shoot cup and core, but if need be a TSX or Partition. But I'd bet a 250 grain Interlock would do most of what I need. Better on coyotes than the 270 too.

Been looking for a good source for those 39 caliber bullets.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by AB2506
I have been considering a 375 Scovill and have pretty much ruled it out, primarily due to the high cost of the various dies I would need.

The concept was a "want", not a "need", so I have talked myself out of it.

Hi, my name is Ed, and I am an enabler... grin

From the CH4D website; LINK, all of the .375 caliber dies (based on the '06 case) are Group "E" dies and cost US$87.36 per set.

The .375.06 Improved and the various .375 Whelen models with varying shoulder angles, are all so similar to the .375 Hawk-Scovill that the starting load data for the .375-06 H-S can be used. Case capacity is virtually identical.

Hope this helps... laugh

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I hunted with a rebored Belgium BAR in .338-06 for several years. That platform removed the recoil and the cartridge gave me lots of bullet choices. Although I used a few 250 Woodleighs, I found that the 200 Speer and the 210 Nosler Partition were most useful.

I had the gun built for Nilgi, but never used it on one. I can tell you that it devastated coyotes, thirty pound Javelinas, crunched big south Texas hogs, and was no hill for a stepper when it came to WT and Mule deer. I once shot a barren bossy doe for MIL's freezer in the back of the head (200Speer) and it turned her a complete heels over head flip.

I made the mistake of trading that one for a custom build on a 1903 action. Must have been weight and stock design, because that one was no fun.

After a long gap, I have replaced it with a 9.3x62, but I have not used it enough to give an impression. I think a shooter grade M70 rebored/rebarreled to 338-06 would be the way to go if starting from scratch. 22" is plenty of length. I like the standard version, not the AI for feeding.

Browning makes and sells the BAR in 9.3x62 in Europe and South America. The BAR action makes things like the .338 WM pleasant, but the weight is too much to pack around. The 9.3 version is lighter. I have had no luck importing one.

Best wishes,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

Ain't that the truth!

I gotta say, I must just not be enough of a rifle looney... I mean, I keep buying factory rifles chambered in existing calibers for which the ammo manufacturers still manufacture ammo. I wonder if I should be embarrassed to admit that...

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by DocRocket

Ain't that the truth!

I gotta say, I must just not be enough of a rifle looney... I mean, I keep buying factory rifles chambered in existing calibers for which the ammo manufacturers still manufacture ammo. I wonder if I should be embarrassed to admit that...

Don't be embarrassed, Doc, it's OK to be a little slow at some things. You'll catch up. IIRC, you have moved up from a revolver to a 1911, so see, there's hope. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by DocRocket

Ain't that the truth!

Don't be embarrassed, Doc, it's OK to be a little slow at some things. You'll catch up. IIRC, you have moved up from a revolver to a 1911, so see, there's hope. grin

Ed

Doc may be a bigger Loony than he admits.

After all, he sticks around here and this is a good place to catch the Loony bug...

So, I agree with you, Ed. There's always hope... laugh

He'll come around... cool

DF

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
grin

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Define best cartridge. If a hunter can't get er done with a 30-06 and 220 gr. Nosler Partitions he might need a .375 or .416 Magnum.
I could get by with a 33806 or a 35 Whelen.
Or a .270 or a .280.
I like the 25-06 too.
I am a rifle slut.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

.35 Whelen - my vote has been cast

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 21, 70 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,681
Posts18,456,303
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.