Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
This has been tough to Google up info on as they had an F1 version that is what seems to be the bulk of the archived searchable chatter....

I have a midweight 6.5 SAUM build in progress that should be done this winter, and am debating between several scopes. I will bang lots of steel with it, but I want it to be a stone cold killer in the hunting fields..... grin.... meaning I still want the scope to function well as an all-round hunting scope.

Forget the weight for the moment. If you've used one, how does it do on low power settings? Low light? Is it easy to get behind? Is it a good hunting scope?

I have a 5.5-22 NXS so I'm familiar with the "big" Nightforce NXS platform in general.

Thanks much.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
PM Stick...

Dave

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
what are you gonna mount it on? A muzzloader? Since you admit that you are a user of a federally illegal substance you cant own a firearm............

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by bryguy
what are you gonna mount it on? A muzzloader? Since you admit that you are a user of a federally illegal substance you cant own a firearm............

Attitude instead of info. Sheesh!

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Bryguy

The post is about a scope...get over yourself.

Everybody has the right to a wrong opinion.
IC B2

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I should clarify what info I'm hoping for here. I'm not thinking of this as a dark-timber scope <grin>.

I put this on the LR forum because the rifle (6.5 SAUM) will primarily be a LR steel banger and intermediate to long range hunter. That being said, I do want a functional LOW end on the scope. Say from 6x on down. So really, any feedback anyone can give on the general eye-friendliness of the optic at its lower power settings will be appreciated.

I won't be buying till early '17 and there are a couple other candidates on the short list. Just gathering intel here. Thanks guys.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
No doubt the scope will work great but it will turn you mid weight into a heavyweight!

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Think of it as a felt-recoil reducer! grin

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
25 oz's is doable 20oz's even better, personaly 30 oz's on a midweight sporter I could't like....no recoil reduction needed on a 6.5 Saum!

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, 20 oz would be nice, but none of my short-list scopes for this rifle are that light.

I agree 30 oz is heavy. I'm not sure I agree that the diff between 25 an 30 is going to matter much. Either way the rifle has been, to use a Doberism (I miss that guy!).... Dolly Parton'ed. smile

Regardless, I'm still interested to hear about this scope at lower power settings. I want the performance. A few ounces this way or that doesn't matter.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
so my guess is you are referring to the the second focal plane 3.5-15 model NXS? if you are that is the scope I use on my best rifle. its a bat machine action 243 AI, the reticle is the MOAR. I can't think of a better long range hunting scope than that scope. YES its heavy and a bit clunky for the job. YES I wish to H E LL nightforce would loose the windage big ole turret and offer it with a low profile capped turret. but the zero stop is the best in the business and the MOAR reticle is perfect for wind hold offs. for a 10mph full value wind its simply my range divided in half, so for 400 its 2 MOA, for 600 its 3 moa, for 800 its 4 moa, etc. simple and easy to even keep in your mind. those same wind holds should work for other major calibers roughly.

the scope is very forgiving to get behind and has plenty of optical quality to hunt in any legal light situation. coyotes at dusk in sage brush=no problem if your up to even being able to find them. The scope is great at low power settings and with the SFP reticle its very easy to see at low power unlike a FFP scope. my longest kill is 991 on a coyote, the scope had plenty of power to get the job done.

my best group is 2 3/4" at 800 yards numerous sub half minute groups at beyond 500 yards. I have ran cheaper scopes on this gun and despite being higher powered I shoot better groups with the NXS. doesn't need illumination infact I have never used it. I have never adjusted the zero on that rifle since I bought the scope like 5 years ago. The gun is always dead on at 200 yard every time I check it on paper.

you want to cure scope problems, tracking issues, and lack of features, this scope is the using a sledge hammer to kill a fly scope. and for me once your done with leupold BS nightforce will be extracting more and more money from you as the years go by.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
CC, a big THANKS for the lengthy review.

I have a 5.5-22 NXS.......... the extraction has begun! grin

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had some of the same questions when I bought mine. After two full hunting seasons (8 big game animals) the only negative for me is the weight/bulk. It does fine at lowest power for quick/close shots and the MOAR reticle is visible at last light.

100% Public land DIY!
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Hunter5325, thanks much. That helps. The weight, bulk, and mechanical performance, I'm familiar with from my very similar 5.5-22. It sounds like as long as I can stomach the physical size, the optical performance (low power, eye relief, low light, etc) will be good.

I tend to be distrustful of these 5x and 6x zoom-ratio scopes in the sense that I am skeptical that they deliver the low end. Sounds like this one DOES. Cool.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
so my guess is you are referring to the the second focal plane 3.5-15 model NXS?

In September 2016, I built a 1953 Winchester M70 with Shilen select match stainless 257 #3 taper 8" twist. I chambered it in 25-06.

I bought the stock here on the fire in 2013
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/7894868/Pre-64_High_Tech_Specialties_(#Post7894868

I bought a 3.5x10x42 NXS scope
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D0806TY
Mounted it with Seekins Precision- 30mm Tube - .82" LOW 4 Cap Screw rings

[Linked Image]
Before barrel paint, sling, rear bag, and bipod.

In October 2016 sighted in to 500 yards.
In OCtober 2016 I shot a mule buck at 250 yards.

From this limited experience, I would say the NXS is not as good as a Sightron SIII or Leupold VX3 of the same size.
The NXS is heavy and the reticle is thin.
The VX3 is weak in CDS attachment.
The SIII is too easy to turn turrets.

But I will probably shoot the NXS again, so it may get another chance to gain my favor.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

690 members (16Racing, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,976 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,578
Posts18,454,049
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.