Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I have a Lee Classic Cast 4 hole turret press. I use it without indexing, so it's basically a single stage with removable turret heads.

It works for me.

P

I have the same. I've been tempted to pick up a Co-ax for all the praise it gets but the Lee turret keeps getting it done.

BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
It seems most presses can load very concentric ammo including the cheapies. The main reason for a progressive is if loading multiple caliber and larger quantities say a 100 plus at a shot.

I have had good results using two our three single stage presses at a time and it is pretty fast a sort of bubba progressive. But if just starting out a single progressive would be great. I am still very tempted to get a Harrel's Magnum but the increased accuracy potential would be lost on hunting rifles but the convenience and consistency would be great. The loading time is not significant but the die set up really is.

Last edited by Tejano; 12/13/16.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a Lee Classic Cast 4 hole turret press but I took out the advancing bar. I prep my brass in lots, so that eliminates most of the advantages of a progressive system. Still, I like the flexibility of turning the turret instead of replacing dies. I reload for several cartridges so it's convenient to simply swap out the turret.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

That still leaves one hole open for whatever.

That's what she said.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
For 40 rounds a month, the turret seems like an extravagance, except that it would allow you to stay set up for several cartridges.

Just don't get 'em mixed up!😜

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
All metal has play in it (you can bend it), so a turret has that plus more play given all the moving parts.

If your willing to ignore this then it doesn't matter what you pick.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have both, I like the Rock Chucker better cause it's old like me. Redding is just as good ,faster for pistols.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Pappy348
For 40 rounds a month, the turret seems like an extravagance, except that it would allow you to stay set up for several cartridges.

Just don't get 'em mixed up!😜

Over fifty years that is somewhere around 24000 rounds...very doable.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I wish I knew how many I've loaded?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Spotshooter,

Wish I knew where that play comes in with my T7. It consistently loads 6mm PPC ammo to an average of .0005 bullet runout or less, and no, the decimal point is not in the wrong place. That's with neck-turned brass in Redding Competition dies. Have been using it at least a decade, and the last batch of PPC's did not hurt the average.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I remember when I bought a 300WSM off Mule Deer, along with dies. They were an early run of 300WSM dies and he had to shave a little off the bottom of the die.

A bit latter he sent me an email and mentioned it, as it had slipped his mind, and told me that I'd likely have to make some adjustments to it to get sheit sized right.

I said 'Nope, it was perfect the way it came' he then asked what press I had and I told him a T7, same has him. So that's 2 presses that were exact.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
[quote=Pharmseller]I have a Lee Classic Cast 4 hole turret press but I took out the advancing bar. I prep my brass in lots, so that eliminates most of the advantages of a progressive system. Still, I like the flexibility of turning the turret instead of replacing dies. I reload for several cartridges so it's convenient to simply swap out the turret.

Exactly what I do

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
All metal has play in it (you can bend it), so a turret has that plus more play given all the moving parts.

If your willing to ignore this then it doesn't matter what you pick.

I know my Lyman turret press had some slop in it, but the ammo I loaded on it seemed reasonably accurate. I'd expect Redding to do a better job on their turret press.

The thing is, the majority of the precision is in the dies, or not. So long as each stroke of the press puts the case the same depth in whatever die you are using, to a large degree the press has done it's job.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
647 members (160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 74 invisible), 2,749 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,651
Posts18,399,172
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.