Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by arky65
We have a 35 acre farm/camp in SW Arkansas. Last Sunday morning I am sitting on the front porch overlooking the orchard, pasture and river bottom. The.260 is in the varmint rest waiting for deer or varmint to present itself. Modern gun deer season is open till December 3 as is most varmint and predator seasons.

6:35 am I'm glassing two doe and a fawn at the edge of my neighbors open field maybe 70 yards to the west when I here a gunshot from my neighbor's property, maybe 100 yard to the west, followed by a thwack. The deer don't flinch and I continue to glass them and they walk back into the woods toward where the gunshot came from.
Few minutes later my Dad comes over from his place which is unusual as he seldom gets out of bed before 8:30 am. He seemed a little upset and anxious. He ask if I have seen any deer and I tell him about the deer I had been glassing. He then say,"come see I have something to show you".

We walk over to his trailer which is on the backside of my trailer and about 30' east from my back porch. He points to a bullet hole about 5 1/2' from the ground. When he sleeps his head rest about a foot below the bullet hole. The impact woke him and his dog which sleeps beside his bed. Thankfully the bullet did not hit him, the dog, his truck or, my new shop.

As Boudreaux says "I bout los my mind".

I thought I had cooled down enough to talk calmly to him but I lost it when I got up to his place. I belittled his intelligence, used words I thought I had forgot, over all just cussed him out. I finally had to walk away as I was not thinking straight and shaking uncontrollably at the thought that he could have ruined two families with his stupidity. His excuse "that bullet should have went into the ground". He knew the deer was between him and our trailers and he knew we were there.

I am very safety conscious about where I shoot. I spoke to the neighbor last year when he moved in about gun safety, where it is safe to shoot, and gave him the lay of the land on all sides of him.

What would you have done?

Moderately well restrained in my opinion.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd try to find the bullet in case you need proof of the incident.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Then you have him by the nutsack.
Take some pictures and see if you can find the bullet for backup just in case.

...words from an idiot

You were well advised right off the bat,....and apparrently still feel like TALKING about this, as opposed to doing anythinhg.
Knock off listening to all the stupid chit and get a DEPUTY SHERIFF or the SHERIFF himself to find the bullet,....it is THEIR job.

You screw around with that end of deal, you throw away the last GOOD card you hold, by destroying a chain of evidence.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 11/28/16.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Knock off listening to all the stupid chit and get a DEPUTY SHERIFF or the SHERIFF himself to find the bullet,....it is THEIR job.

You screw around with that end of deal, you throw away the last GOOD card you hold, by destroying a chain of evidence.

GTC

This.

Quit f'kin' around, call the damned cops and deal with this properly. Or, keep f'kin' around and hope the neighbor misses the next time - because if you don't fix this, there WILL be a next time.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd worry a LOT more about being shot, than smirked at, myself.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The FIRST thing that any competent SO is going to ask, at this point is, "Why did you wait so long to call us" ?"

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have one of those situations just waiting for a happening.

White trash neighbors put up a deer feeder and blind right on my fence line.

[Linked Image]

Feeder is only 7 yards from my fence, and directly behind it 35 yards is one of the cheap ground blinds.

Any way they shoot in the direction of the feeder, the bullet or arrow comes across the fence line, onto my property.

Probably wouldn't be so bad in the back of the ranch somewhere, but this is only 100 yards from my front porch, and we are in that direction a lot, everyday. It's also within 50 yards of the area I have been doing supplemental feeding for years, and within 75 yards of one of my livestock water troughs.

The feeder and blind sit on a whopping 5 acre tract. There is NO place on their 5 acres that they can shoot safely. He has neighbors on all sides. mad

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
In Texas you can't have stand closer than 50 yd so from fence. Against law for bullet to cross fence line.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hanco
In Texas you can't have stand closer than 50 yd so from fence. Against law for bullet to cross fence line.

I'd love to see more about this law...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I have one of those situations just waiting for a happening.

White trash neighbors put up a deer feeder and blind right on my fence line.

[Linked Image]

Feeder is only 7 yards from my fence, and directly behind it 35 yards is one of the cheap ground blinds.

Any way they shoot in the direction of the feeder, the bullet or arrow comes across the fence line, onto my property.

Probably wouldn't be so bad in the back of the ranch somewhere, but this is only 100 yards from my front porch, and we are in that direction a lot, everyday. It's also within 50 yards of the area I have been doing supplemental feeding for years, and within 75 yards of one of my livestock water troughs.

The feeder and blind sit on a whopping 5 acre tract. There is NO place on their 5 acres that they can shoot safely. He has neighbors on all sides. mad
i beleave in tx you need at least 10-12 acres to legally be able to hunt on it.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Somebody asked Ol Mully Garret how far they should stay off his fence lines with feeders and blinds.

"Where my shotgun won't reach".

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone on the receiving end of your reaction should surely understand your anger. Sounds like they got the message or you would have likely reinforced it.
If you don't want to call the Sheriff for fear of startign a feud maybe record it all in a video and send your neighbor a copy as a reminder to be safe and that you have maintained at least a record. Save the email and the video.

Once I was just observing from the hilltop view of my sisters trailer she uses as an office while Dad hunted from the lower pasture about 20' below and maybe three hundred yards away. I heard Dad shoot then heard and felt a hard thunk. After passing through the deer the bullet hit a rock and ricocheted up the hill, into the under pinning of the trailer and lodging in a pier directly below where I was standing. It will get your attention. He freaked when I showed him the hole. I was quick to tell him he could not have expected this but that from now on we eliminate all shots in this direction. Since then I tend to use my 44 mag model 92 (lever) out there as it is not far from town and her place is small. Figure a slower heavy round is a safer option.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

What's to know? There it is. BANG

In Texas we take our guns/hunting/property rights seriously. You gotta have ten acres to gun hunt, bow hunting on less is fine. Your bullet or your arrow crosses a property line or a road, you're toast.

Shoot your deer legally and it runs to your neighbor's property to die, you can't go and recover it without permission. Do so and you're toast.

Texans are friendly and respectful and expect the same in return.

If you need more info, visit Texas Parks and Wildlife site as I am not a Texas Game Warden, just a Texan.

As far as this incident, the OP should have immediately called the GW. He should be in your contact list, and you should know him on sight. Not sure about AR, but in Texas a GW is a state lawman just like a state trooper. The neighbor needs to be treated harshly to learn of the severity of the crime.

Cast

I have a short attention spa
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
If a bullet hits my house, I'm calling the cops.

It is amazing what a bullet is capable of. I hunt near the back of a farm and look out over a small field (150 yards to the back fence). The farm behind me, got subdivided about 10 years ago into 25 acre lots. They built one house about 8 years ago and now they're building another, so I'm careful where I shoot. Out in the field, about 20 yards from the back fence, there's a tree with an old beer keg in it that we used to shoot at. We have to use a shotgun with slugs here. A couple of years ago, I shot an 8 point, but got a spine shot on him. He was down laying in the grass about 50 yards from me and sitting up. A neck shot was my only option to kill him. There was a slight grade going up behind the deer. The grass was long and hadn't been mowed in a while. The dew was heavy that morning and the grass was real wet. I took the shot and missed. Looking through the scope, I could see the slug hit the wet grass and it sent out a spray of water. A split second later, I heard the slug hit the beer keg 100 yards further away. That new house is now sitting directly in line with where that slug went that morning.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Cast

In Texas we take our guns/hunting/property rights seriously. You gotta have ten acres to gun hunt, bow hunting on less is fine. Your bullet or your arrow crosses a property line or a road, you're toast.

Shoot your deer legally and it runs to your neighbor's property to die, you can't go and recover it without permission. Do so and you're toast.

If you need more info, visit Texas Parks and Wildlife site as I am not a Texas Game Warden, just a Texan.

As far as this incident, the OP should have immediately called the GW. He should be in your contact list, and you should know him on sight. Not sure about AR, but in Texas a GW is a state lawman just like a state trooper. The neighbor needs to be treated harshly to learn of the severity of the crime.

From what I can gather from P&W, I can't really do anything unless I can prove that a projectile has crossed by property line.

The minimum acreage to hunt depends on county ordinances, not state law. The state doesn't regulate how many acres you can hunt on, nor how close to the property line a blind or feeder can be.

These are the same A-holes that would get drunk at night and start target shooting pistols on their 5 acres, and we can hear the bullets striking the trees around our headquarters here...

There's just no cure for being white trash.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cast

From what I can gather from P&W, I can't really do anything unless I can prove that a projectile has crossed by property line.

The minimum acreage to hunt depends on county ordinances, not state law. The state doesn't regulate how many acres you can hunt on, nor how close to the property line a blind or feeder can be.

These are the same A-holes that would get drunk at night and start target shooting pistols on their 5 acres, and we can hear the bullets striking the trees around our headquarters here...

There's just no cure for being white trash.

Oh, there's cure alright....

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
631 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 55 invisible), 2,888 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,740
Posts18,401,149
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.