-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Im confused by the “G” prefix serial numbers WRT push feed and CRF made in New Haven.
I just picked up a M70 FW push feed sn G1680XXX; im assuming its 1984ish. However, it’s difficult to know for sure since I also have two CRF M70s that I bought new. One when they first came out in 92 if I recall correctly, sn G59XXX, and one when the New Haven plant closed in 2006; FW sn 2572XXX. These numbers indicate the 1984 FW was made between the 1992 and the 2006 CRF. All of them have the same thin red recoil pad.
So, do the CRF serial numbers overlap the same range as the others, the only difference being one is CRF and the other is push feed? In other words, could there be two Win 70s with the sn G1503452; one is a CRF and the other is a push feed?

This thread prompted me to ask here.
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11614705/Featherweight#Post11614705

Thanks for the help...i hope.

Chip

Last edited by Centennial; 12/09/16.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Serial numbers on the post 64's are all screwed up. Just keep in mind the 5 digit CRF classics started in '92. You can use Winchesters DOM sheet for the pushfeeds up until about 1992. The best reference for the pre 64 is Roger Rules book, "The Rifleman's Rifle"...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
All you need to do is call BACO customer service, and they'll tell you the date the rifle left the NH factory. Simple.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Brad
All you need to do is call BACO customer service, and they'll tell you the date the rifle left the NH factory. Simple.

Sure, while you are at it, why don't you ask them why they replaced a perfectly good trigger.... wink My Portuguese is a little rusty though....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Sure, while you are at it, why don't you ask them why they replaced a perfectly good trigger.... wink My Portuguese is a little rusty though....

Have you actually called to get serial no. verification? I have, no Portuguese necessary. They have all the USRAC numbers at their fingertips, no need to wade through the Rule book guessing.

As usual the principle applies, "If you're going to be dumb, you'd better be tough"...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Lawrence come on man you know that baco i.e. Browning is located in Utah so if you call more than likely you will get a good ol Mormon gal or guy on the phone...

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks all, Ill try to call next week; great idea.

Chip

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

BSA: How long are you-and a few others-going to fret about that old trigger. It's history, and not far from being old history. Obviously, there is no shortage of Pre-64's, or other takes on the 70, all of which have the old trigger. More than enough to get you and them thru.

Winchester even evolved the pre-64 as time moved on. Did the pre-war buyers continually fret when the transition rifles came on. The post war offering must have really had them spinning. grin

Last edited by battue; 12/10/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by battue

BSA: How long are you-and a few others-going to fret about that old trigger. It's history, and not far from being old history. Obviously, there is no shortage of Pre-64's, or other takes on the 70, all of which have the old trigger. More than enough to get you and them thru.

Winchester even evolved the pre-64 as time moved on. Did the pre-war buyers continually fret when the transition rifles came on. The post war offering must have really had them spinning. grin

Naw that was before my time but the wheels really fell off in 1964 (which was still before my time but closer... smile After that they never made a move that was not designed to make the rifles cheaper.

Lets not forget that we pissed and moaned until they brought back the Classic....by then no one at Winchester knew how so they had to hire David Miller to help design it . So sometimes complaining will get you somewhere....even if it takes a couple of decades. wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Bob I understand.

Buuuut....First I don't have a couple decades left and second, complaining for a couple decades about a trigger change is....well, that's a lot of complaining. Maybe I missed it, but have yet to read or hear about a hunt going belly up due to the MOA. I'm sure it happened however, someplace. Odds are???? I had a pre 64 safety go stuck. Odds are????

Nor do I think Browning has any intention of changing back to the old. I do think the new primarily came about as a way to make the old, i.e. model 70's have been around a long while, look newer. MOA has that advertising jingle going for it. wink

Last edited by battue; 12/11/16.

IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Nothing stays the same forever, the pre-64 triggers have been out of production for 53 years....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
battue: How can a trigger go buns up when it spends most of its life in a safe,except for 5 days in a blind bordering a cornfield in Missouri or somewhere else?

Gotta remember the pre 64 trigger design was really quasi-military...designed to handle some dirt and lousy conditions. Just a step away from a Springfield, Mauser, Enfield...etc etc..

Watch an enclosed design freeze up a few times and it makes you wonder.

Not something I spend a lot of time worrying about....after 5 BACO's I just use a pre 64. Not many threads on those things not working right. I only complain when the subject comes up here....otherwise I don't worry about it. grin

It's funny....we hear how great todays rifles are then we get threads about this won't feed, that won't eject,lets bend some magazine lips,bend some springs but don't break them!?....we never had to worry about that stuff LOL!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Don't know your years, but they have pretty much gotten all of the new Model 70's they are going to get out of BSA, Bob and I. Now they have to sell them to the new crowd. And the majority don't want what we had.

Said it for years, they are missing the boat if they don't come out with a quality scaled down real, by today's standards, FWT.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Once again I get it. smile

Hell, today it has almost become a badge of honor to have to fiddle fart around with a new rifle.

Last edited by battue; 12/11/16.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

176 members (257_X_50, 19rabbit52, 270winchester, 16penny, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 24 invisible), 1,904 guests, and 914 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,172
Posts18,465,369
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.