Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Just like the subject says, I'm looking for opinions on which route to go? Both are pretty close in price, and from my perspective both have tradeoffs. The Oehler is probably the more fool proof of the two, but theres set up time which can be a PITA at a crowded range. The LabRadar not being able to read 17's or over 4,000 makes me pause.

Anyone out there run both and have some good comparisons? Anyone try shooting 17's with the LabRadar, and does it really not pick them up?

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have a 35P, which has never failed me. Last month I was trading emails with Jim Carmichel and he wasn't happy with the Labradar.
I have nothing further to add.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I had an Oehler 35, which served me well for many years. I bought a Labradar this year, and after a few outings sold the Oehler.

The Labradar is dramatically easier and quicker to set up and use. Is it 100%? No, but is it is much, much more convenient, and thus is used far more often.

The weakness in the Labradar apparently is the ability to detect 22 cal or smaller in a reliable fashion.

It needs to be set up off of the ground, it will not work in prone, which is the same as using the Oehler.

Overall, the Labradar has proven to be more user friendly, as long as the directions are read and followed. The open question is durability of the Labradar in the future, but so far, it has been great.

Definitely recommend buying the base plate with it, and the padded carry case is pretty handy too.

Bottom line from owning both, I still have the Labradar and the Oehler is gone.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've used an Oehler, a LabRadar and a MagnetoSpeed.

The Oehler was a pain to set up, especially on a busy public range where a cease fire needs to be called.

The LabRadar was super easy to set up and worked great but I didn't try to get speeds of any small bullets with it.

I bought a Magneto Speed before the LabRadars were available. It will give readings on smaller projectiles, is accurate, and is pretty easy to set up and work although the bayonet mount is hinky and it shoots loose often.

For bigger projectiles, LabRadar was my favorite going away.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Have not tried the Labradar, but like the concept.

Have the MagnetoSpeed and agree with you about the barrel mount. I rigged it up to mount free of the barrel. You gotta watch the bayonet/barrel relationship, but it does seem to work without messing with POI.

Need a long bench like this one I make for my Z-71.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bottom side. 5/8" plywood, 2x2 braces, screws, glue and spar varnish. Gibralter drum throne stool.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 12/09/16.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've only used my brother's Oehler 35p. He's gone and I need to buy my own. I'm heavily looking at Labradar. I have my own range. My main interest is 6mm and larger. I also have a 204 and 223's, but my interests are bigger bores.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Sold my Oehler, bought a LabRadar (not in that order).

I've owned and sold a Magnetospeed as well.

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Own a M35 for almost 25 years, and looking hard at a Labradar.

Keep the experiences coming, I want to hear more.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I also have owned a Ohler 35 since they first became available. Other than the set up time I'm well pleased with its service.

That being said, I'm intrigued by what I've read about LabRadar. At this time it seems to be priced at $559.00 every place I see it listed. So, not all that sure about buying one just yet, but am looking forward to reading more reviews before deciding one way or another.

Respects,
Richard

Cat, the other white meat!
M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Jeffbird's post gives a good overview of the comparative strengths of each.

At this weekend's PRS match (that my club hosts), there were only Magnetospeeds and LabRadars sight-in day. One of the Magnetospeeds got shot accidentally. That and pushing POI up are its weaknesses. Lower cost than the LabRadar combined with similar convenience for set-up are its strengths. An Oehler has similar strengths and weaknesses as every other multi-part optical chrono, except for its higher price.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have owned and used 35P, Magneto, and Lab Radar. As others say the 35P is a royal PITA on a busy range and Magneto does change POI. The Labradar is much easier to use and is much more accurate.

I do not shoot any 17's so that is not a issue for me, but I do shoot bunches of 223 in the PD town. The wife and my favorite load is 27 grains of TAC behind a Sierra 40 grain Blitz Kings. The Labradar reads every one of this load I shoot with it.

I have sold the Magneto and have the 35P listed and will never look back.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

144 members (5sdad, 257wthbylover, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 22 invisible), 1,885 guests, and 1,002 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,499
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.