Print Thread
Hop To
W
Wilkup Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I just wanted to share my experience with this gun for y'all.

I'm always on a quest for that "perfect goldilocks" gun, like I imagine most gun guys are. With that said, I've never shot anything as well as my first handgun, which I carried religiously for over 8 years and shot at least 200 rounds a month with. It was a traditional commander size 1911, STI Ranger with a few mods done to it. I've owned Sigs, Glocks, Walthers, S&Ws, etc and never fell in love with these guns or shot as well as I was capable with that 1911.
Enter Honor Defense...
I have been searching for a thinner gun for carry that I'll be able to enjoy running at the range as well as comfortably carry with me. When I read the first article about this company in "American Rifleman" a couple years ago, I thought it sounded interesting but wasn't willing to be a guinea pig with a new company and their new design. I saw the new long slide offering recently and thought it'd been long enough to try this company's offering out for myself and placed my order.
This gun is similar dimensions to a G19, albeit with a much thinner overall size. When the gun arrived I was pleasantly surprised to find the grip depth (from backstrap to trigger) perfect for my average hand size. The trigger is about 50% heavier than I like, at just over 7 lbs, but I hope to do a little tinkering to get it down to around 5 lbs. As I dry-fired and checked reset, I was a little disappointed to find reset felt quite long! Reset happens when it's released all the way to the starting point! Here's where things get a little weird though, it's more or less brain confusion that leads me to believe reset is actually "long". The total trigger pull is about 3/8 of an inch, and when I have to release the trigger to it's starting point, it creates the illusion of a long reset, especially while dry-firing.
Range Report
I went out to the range, pretty disappointed with the trigger, but hopeful it would at least shoot alright. SURPRISE! I shot at 5 yards towards my quarter size dot and my first two shots cut the edge of the dot. I ran my next 14 rounds through that dot at a controlled rapid fire pace... BANG! one BANG! one BANG! one...
The trigger was perfect, besides heavy. The reset is very audible and faster than expected from my first experience while dry-firing!
The large, orange-colored front sight is easily picked up quickly. The dual recoil spring soaks up muzzle rise, making getting back on target almost instant.
This is the first gun I've shot so well, other than my first handgun love, the Ranger. I ran 300 rounds of cheap ammo (Winchester aluminum) through this gun with zero issues! It shoots easily and makes me appear far better than I really am.
If you're looking for a comfortable single stack 9mm that shoots excellent, go handle one of these pistols. They veteran-owned and 100% American made. They also donate to a couple veteran foundations, which is a plus in my mind.
Do yourself a favor and check these little guns out. It's my go-to CCW now and I really enjoy shooting it to boot!

I've got a few pics of the gun, but somehow my files are always too big to post on here. I can send pics in email or text to someone who's more technically savy than I to post...

Last edited by Wilkup; 01/16/17. Reason: Pics
BP-B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I also can't post pics ...
Link: Long Slide version of the Honor Guard Sub-Compact pistol ... from Honor Defense:

<> http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/HG9SCLS.jpg <>

'Quote' from The Firearm Blog review:
"I never understood why sub-compact handguns have been typically extreme short barrels. In fact, its my major complaint in my Glock 43.
To me, the point of a sub-compact is to reduce the size of the grip, not the slide. The slide is typically been the easiest part to conceal,
and a longer slide also provides a longer sight radius (better practical accuracy) and barrel length (increase velocity.)"

W
Wilkup Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W

Last edited by Wilkup; 01/16/17.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
609 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 160user, 17CalFan, 54 invisible), 2,714 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,737
Posts18,401,102
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.